Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

An outsider's perspective on JetBlue

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

An outsider's perspective on JetBlue

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2006, 6:13 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by cxn
I am still waiting to fly on my first B6 flight. I think they, B6, have done everything *almost* right.

What I want to see from B6:

More non-stop short-haul flights. If they are able to pull this off, and keep fares at a reasonable level, they will make money. Lets see, WN RT OAK - SLC $200 + or B6 RT OAK - JFK $200 +. Who makes more money? WN does of course

Fill in their Market before expanding. How come B6 only wants to fly 1 or 2 flights before moving on? I mean, they could dedicate 1 plane to fly LAX - OAK - SLC - LAX - OAK - SLC - LAX in one day. Instead, they take the same plane and might go OAK - JFK - BOS - JFK. More flights, more money.

I think B6 could take on WN and AS as long as they dont try to beat them on price too much. I mean, Dave knows how to price a market. Who doesnt remember $29 fares SLC - OAK/LAX 10 years ago. B6 could also take on markets not served by WN. So for me, SJC - SLC 3x daily would be a great start. Or SLC/OAK - SNA/LGB 3 - 4 x a day. And maybe get rid of seat assignments for shorthaul flights.

Looking forward to my first flight on B6 now that WN is giving me the royal **** .

I agree with more short hauls and fewer routes with more frequency. The new aircraft will accomplish this quite nicely. B6 began with the idea of doing certain things differently and better than WN, so I don't agree that copying WN is necessarily a win.

As to the $29 prices, they never made sense except for us consumers. IMHO, WN has figured out how to price to market value: decent walk-up fares, far fewer deeply discounted seats sold, and dramatically higher pricing for peak flights which will sell out regardless. In the short time I have watched B6's pricing, it seems pretty good (for maximizing revenue, that is) but I'd bet that adding a higher fully refundable fare would increase yield.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
but I'd bet that adding a higher fully refundable fare would increase yield.
Then they would have to overbook
Old Apr 8, 2006, 11:10 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by audio-nut
Then they would have to overbook
Correct, but they already must do so to some extent because of the liberal funds re-use policy. For example, several times I have tried to get a seat assignment when purchasing a ticket and been told "the system will automatically assign me a seat". To me, that sounds a lot like an overbooking situation.

Like you, I recalled that JetBlue's lack of nonrefundable fares was originally explained by the lack of overbooking. So I did a search: http://www.google.com/search?q=jetblue+overbook

Compare the cached version with the current version, and you will see something interesting. The former bullet item "A sure seat – JetBlue doesn’t overbook or do the bump!" is gone. That may partially explain why the flights are more full these days.

Overbooking lowers costs and thus prices. It's good for all of us in the long run, provided that the airline strikes the proper balance of risk between oversale and empty seats.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsx
Like you, I recalled that JetBlue's lack of nonrefundable fares was originally explained by the lack of overbooking. So I did a search: http://www.google.com/search?q=jetblue+overbook

Compare the cached version with the current version, and you will see something interesting. The former bullet item "A sure seat – JetBlue doesn’t overbook or do the bump!" is gone. That may partially explain why the flights are more full these days.
The bullet item is in both the current version and the cached version.

Originally Posted by nsx
Overbooking lowers costs and thus prices. It's good for all of us in the long run, provided that the airline strikes the proper balance of risk between oversale and empty seats.
Sure it does, but there's no evidence that B6 is overbooking. From the top of page 3 of the 10-K (filed 2/14/06):

Unlike most other airlines, we have a policy of not overbooking our flights.
I recall seeing some federal overbooking stats recently, and jetBlue's numbers are almost zero.
Old Apr 9, 2006, 12:14 am

Programs: SPG, AA, BA, CO, UA, US, B6, DL, Amex MR, HH
Originally Posted by nsx
Correct, but they already must do so to some extent because of the liberal funds re-use policy. For example, several times I have tried to get a seat assignment when purchasing a ticket and been told "the system will automatically assign me a seat". To me, that sounds a lot like an overbooking situation.
IIRC, Jetblue, in 2005, had only 6 VBDs and 0 IBDs. I think the only thing that message proves is that Jetblue just doesn't allow all of it's seats to be assigned while booking. I'm pretty sure you can't select bulkhead seats (usually reserved for unaccompanied children) as well as 26 D-F (reserved for onboard wheelchair, if there is one). However, if those seats are free as of 24 hrs. prior to flight, they probably open them up to be selected at check-in.
Old Apr 9, 2006, 12:17 am
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FWAAA
The bullet item is in both the current version and the cached version.
Whoops! My bad. I didn't scroll down one of the pages. Well, at least I didn't start a thread on that bogus premise.

If I were a JBLU shareholder, I'd hope for just a little bit of overbooking. Enough to fill more seats while still being best of industry in denied boarding.

Since I'm only a customer I prefer the current policy: I can buy the cheap flight and standby for the expensive one on the same day. It worked the one time I tried, and I saved $140.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 11:05 am
cxn

Overbooking works well when you have many flights. What B9 needs is additional flights + overbooking.

Looking at their flight map, they are really lacking in the LAS service. This is where B9 could pick up some passengers from WN. And with full flights from the west coast on LAS, another airline wont hurt but help the market.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 10:31 am

Programs: WN CP
I just returned from my first trip involving B6 and want to share my thoughts, but don't feel they warrant a new thread.

I flew PHX-JFK-PIT.

PHX-JFK was a redeye on "Bippity, Boppity, Blue" in 12A. Boarding was a free-for-all (IIRC, load was 117/156), but without incident. DirecTV worked as advertised, but it was disappointing that half the channels were running informercials (not necessarily B6's fault, that is just the nature of late-night TV; would be nice of they had the option of carrying/switching to other channels to avoid informercials). Snack and beverage service was stellar. The FAs were prompt and very friendly for the entire flight. In my experience on other redeyes (UA), FAs do snack and beverage and then expect everyone to just sleep and not bother them.

JFK was a bit of a PITA. Taxi to the gate seemed to take an awfully long time. My connection, scheduled to leave only 40 minutes after my arrival, was nowhere to be found on the monitors. After getting that information from a GA, I made my way to the shuttle to the temporary gates. The shuttle was a hassle, mitigated by the fact that there was no wait.

JFK-PIT was on an E190 (obviously; I neglected to note the plane name) in 12B (though I moved up to 11B before pushback because 11AB were empty). The plane was much more comfortable than an RJ (I am 6'4" and was able to stand straight in the aisle), but still a noticeable decrease from the comfort of the A320. The 190 suffers the same gate check issues as RJs due to smaller OH space. XM and DirecTV worked as advertised, and the controls seemed more refined than on the 320 (the buttons were easier to press). Snack and beverage service was good.

At PIT, I appreciated that there was a baggage service rep at the carousel, presumably to quickly handle any issues (none for me).

Overall, ^.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 12:41 pm

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Hertz
Glad to hear your experience went well. Just keep in mind, if you connect through JFK again in 3 years the temp. gates won't be a hassle for you! Welcome to the world of jetBlue flying!
Old Jul 21, 2006, 6:46 pm

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors Diamond
It's nice to get a well balanced, thought out, and class thread about the ups and downs of our airline. I totally agree with many of the things that where posted in here. We aren't the best airline out there, and we know that, but we do try our hardest for the amount of aircraft and size of operation that we have.

Again great post and thank you for posting your thoughts and opinions!
Old Jul 23, 2006, 4:43 pm

Programs: SPG Plat; Marriot Gold; United 1K; Fairmont Premier; Hertz 5*
As a frequent business traveller and normally a legacy airline customer, I have been similarly dissatisfied with the seat assigment system. Especially since I rarely have the ability to book more than a few days in advance and in the case of JetBlue usually on a TransCon redeye. However, to be fair, I am not the target market for JetBlue who is focused on courting a different customer.

Also the few (1 in 5) trips that I have not had a middle seat it has been a very pleasant trip.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 7:21 pm

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by alive2maro
As a frequent business traveller and normally a legacy airline customer, I have been similarly dissatisfied with the seat assigment system. Especially since I rarely have the ability to book more than a few days in advance and in the case of JetBlue usually on a TransCon redeye. However, to be fair, I am not the target market for JetBlue who is focused on courting a different customer.

Also the few (1 in 5) trips that I have not had a middle seat it has been a very pleasant trip.
I agree with you. Just keep in mind that if you book on jetBlue last minute and can't get an aisle or even window seat...you can ask at the airport if they can reassign you a seat...rows 1,2,3, 12DEF(exit), 26DEF are all open for airport-only assignment. Usually if you ask, you're able to get one.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by alive2maro

I am a "road warrior" frequent flyer. 95% of my travel is for business. I now fly jetBlue as much as possible simply because I love the legroom and I love the airline.

Regarding the seat assignment system, the only difference between jetBlue and the legacies is the lack of any inventory set aside for elite ff's.

This being said, I have flown plenty of middle seats as a last-minute purchaser on the legacies as well. At least when you do that on a jetBlue transcon, the ticket costs about $500 while on CO, AA or DL you could be looking at $1,200 or more.

And, even in the middle seat, you have the great legroom, cmofy seat and PTV which make jetBlue's middle seat the best one inthe business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.