JET BLUE IS A SCAM

Old Oct 21, 2002, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

JET BLUE IS A SCAM

When I call Jet Blue for the lowest fare it never seems to be available.

It takes quite a bit of nevre to quote fares in the hundreds of dollars for short hops and deny your customers the benefit of a real frequent flyer program.

jet Blue is one of the great marketing frauds ever- totally positive press; meanwhile, I hear many complaints about leg room, customer service etc.

Can't anyone out there break the total media halo given to this product?

I understand when once a year travellers but into this nonsense.

But what savvy frequent flyer would ever fly Jet Blue unless the price was literally rock bottom (By the way $100) to from NYC to Buffalo is hardly rock bottom. At that rate per mile, NY-LAX would be $2,000 and still no real, valuable frequent flyer program.

Please explain the mystery of Jet Blue.
Old Oct 22, 2002, 5:48 am

No mystery.

You have choices.
Go fly on another carrier.

I think JetBlue has a great product with great service, and I will fly them again.

[This message has been edited by Bean (edited 10-22-2002).]
Old Oct 22, 2002, 8:26 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
I know what you mean...
Even with adding 3 flights a day from Fort Myers to JFK, they still have the highest fares in the area, Today on a search Delta is $168 and Jet Blue $390. I would really like to give them a try, but the old $79 each way seems to have gone by the wayside...
Old Oct 22, 2002, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Your scam is my paradise. All of my last minute trips to OAK are 1/8 of the cost CO charges. Hmmm, 12%.....what a scam.

I'm so upset by this scam....my oh my....very upset.

Let's say I had to go to San Francisco leaving on October 29 and returning late October 30. Yup, 7 day's notice. This is a very real scenario for me as I work in a small business and last minute trips to clients on the west coast are becoming more and more a reality. I just went to CO's webite (you can too!). Their best price for nonstop SFO-EWR (no more OAK which is better situated for me than SFO) is a whopping $2264.50. Hello insanity. Who would pay that for a tiny seat and hours of Continental Vision? I went to Jetblue's site and their best price is $285.00. Yup including taxes.

So let me think....$285 or $2264.50. Satellite TV or a rehash of movie I've seen already? Jetblue all the way. This airline is awesome.

Somebody in the CO forum called JetBlue a hybrid and I think that's the perfect word to describe JetBlue's product. It's got the best of both worlds in my opinion. A product worth selecting because of its growing nonstops from JFK and its satellite TV, and its excellent pricing.

So keep getting upset with their scamming you. And don't fly it. Stay with Continental. They love their customers ever so much. Oh and enjoy paying that $100 fine for flying standby too when January comes along!

Just to add, I'm still flying CO to those locales not covered by JetBlue and there are numerous ones of those. But as JetBlue adds more destinations, I will be reducing my flying on CO. Why do I still even use CO? Well I hate changing planes; I will only fly direct unless I have no choice whatsoever.

[This message has been edited by Analise (edited 10-22-2002).]
Old Oct 22, 2002, 9:29 am

Programs: AA PLT
I'm guessing that the RSW-JFK route is so popular advance-purchase tickets sell out far in advance. But if you look at fares for, say, February, you'll see $94 one-way.
Old Oct 22, 2002, 11:01 am

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by odnyc:

jet Blue is one of the great marketing frauds ever- totally positive press; meanwhile, I hear many complaints about leg room, customer service etc.

But what savvy frequent flyer would ever fly Jet Blue unless the price was literally rock bottom (By the way $100) to from NYC to Buffalo is hardly rock bottom. At that rate per mile, NY-LAX would be $2,000 and still no real, valuable frequent flyer program.
</font>
1)While it is certainly not Mianline AA's MRTC, jetBlue's legroom/pitch is not significantly better or worse than the other domestic US airlines, and far better than what CO and US offer on their BUF to NYC flights (which are done with Dash-8's or Jungle Jets).

2)Prior to jetBlue's arrival in the JFK-BUF market, the flights on American Eagle's SAAB 340's where significantly more expensive, i.e. more than $100 OW.

3)Whatever NYC to BUF is, the fares on jetBlue from JFK to LGB or ONT are not $2000; I don't even think they charge that much for a walk-up.

4)The jetBlue FF program ("trueBlue") is as useful as its counterpart at Southwest, though the one at Southwest is more generous as it gives one credit for each direction of a ticket regardless of length. Given what I read on FT about restrictions on the use of traditional miles on other carriers and my own experience, I often wonder which system is the best. Didn't Southwest's win the Freddy this year???
Old Oct 22, 2002, 12:07 pm

JetBlue's points expire a year after receipt which is unattractive to me but I've got hundreds of thousands of miles on CO and the only way I've been able to use them is to buy domestic upgrades. I can never use them for free flights to Europe---even when I plan 9 months in advance, any day I select has no availability for me. So my CO ff miles are essentially useless.

The fact that JetBlue's expire does not phase me since I am not selecting to fly them on the basis of True Blue rules. I think frequent flyer miles are becoming more and more worthless in the industry.

Old Oct 22, 2002, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Oh that rights right satellite tv so you cn watch judge judy

Now that's a perk
Old Oct 22, 2002, 12:44 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Oh that rights right satellite tv so you cn watch judge judy Now that's a perk</font>
24 stations? Uhhhhh yeah, that's a perk. I remember some of them...ESPN, ESPNII, ESPNW, ESPNClassic, Golf Network, CNN Headline News, CNBC, Bloomberg, Travel, Weather, TLC, 3 Discovery Channels, Boom, HGTV, Game Show, A&E, History, Food Network.

But if you prefer no-choice Continental Vision to all of this...you can have it. I don't see Judge Judy anywhere by the way.

Old Oct 22, 2002, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold
I would just like to say that I would love to have satellite TV for my next X-country flight. Catch up on news, sports scores, the markets. I can't remeber the last time I sat on my rear and just flipped channels for a few hours. When I'm stuck on the big carriers for entire afternoon the best I can hope for is news from 12 hours ago with any anti-airline segments edited out. Satellite TV beats the stuffing out of inflight programming.

yorock
Old Oct 22, 2002, 4:04 pm

odnyc: I'm looking at BUF-NYC right now, and I am seeing good fares($49 each way) for the random dates I chose that weren't around Christmas time, as that is getting pricy on most airlines nowadays. Even the spring break flights I was looking at were fairly good.
Old Oct 22, 2002, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

JET BLUE IS A SCAM II

The Jet Blue Pledge:

We will get great press
We will provide no meals
We will provide no upgrades
We will provide no real frequent flyer program
We will have miles that expire
Whenever possible we'll charge what the majors do

What a group of sharks here. Again, I understand a person who flies once a year buying into this but who can defend this brazen blue-scam; especially on a miles talk site where the presumption is that people are hip enuf to know that ff miles can be very, very valuable.
Old Oct 22, 2002, 7:22 pm

odnyc, you have an axe to grind about Jetblue. Clearly because you make assertions based on things you do not know. Like that Judge Judy comment? You had no idea what their satellite stations were because you have not flown on Jetblue---that is obvious. How can you criticize their product when you have yet to set foot on one flight?

You have not refuted anything others including myself have said. You are whining---in written form. Hey, if you want to pay $2200 plus dollars to be asked beef or chicken, that is your decision. But you are just blabbing the term 'scam' without one shred of evidence.
Old Oct 22, 2002, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

In unravelling the scam that Jet Blue is it's important to note the following:

Their competitors often beat them on fares, including last minute fares, see e.g. Expedia

They are largely a bait and switch operation

Otherwise, YOU have not refuted what I have said re: their cunning business decision to rip off their passengers by denying them what they spin as an incidental matter of ff miles- in case you don't know it elite major flyers often get a FREE ticket after two transcon flights (where they sat in first class)

Every day, people sit on Jet Blue flights paying as much of more as those on the majors wuthout receiving any of the benefits of being on a major (partnership points, upgrades, exotic travel)

I have nothing against Jet Blue except any savvy traveller has a duty to stop them from imposing their model on this country because I am fully familiar with the Ryanair, Easyjet European model and that is not very pretty. The CEO of Ryanair is in the paper every day thumbing his nose at his passengers who, he loves to point out, don't expect much but a rock bottom fare---By the way even the lowest advertised JB fare is not so great

It might work for you.

And they do have in-flight yoga.
Old Oct 22, 2002, 9:00 pm

odnyc: No airline is going to have the lowest price all the time. So if JetBlue doesn't have the lowest price and that is what is most important to you THEN FLY THE OTHER AIRLINE! If you don't like their leg room THEN FLY FIRST CLASS on some other airline, and see how much money you save then. (I've never heard anyone complain that leg room is worse than coach on other airlines and besides, you have leather seats; not even AA's MRIC has those.) It's a free world; if people don't like JetBlue, they will not be repeat customers and the airline will fail. I don't think it is failing.

Personally, I think that that people should wait until they have at least 500 posts on Flyertalk before they start implying that other Flyertalk members are dumb as sticks. (I'm no where near that myself; I'm still wet behind the ears.) Your message implies that only you are smart enough to realize that the emperor has no clothes.

Dave Neeleman, the CEO of JetBlue, must be the smoothest conman of all time, since back in 1993 he convinced Southwest Airlines that his previous airlines, Morris Air, was worth acquiring for $130 million.

By the way, your message said that you keep "calling" JetBlue. Haven't you heard -- they have a website! If FF miles are as important to you as you claim, then surely you would want to use the net instead to get your bonus miles. The net is also an easier way to shop for the lowest prices. The net is why the big six airlines are in trouble. Once business flyers saw how low prices could go if they met a few restrictions, they started doing so.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.