Wiki Posts
Search

JET BLUE IS A SCAM II

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2002, 9:02 am
Original Poster

JET BLUE IS A SCAM II

Just returned from a ff trip.

The wall is starting to crack. Thanks JFK flyer.

Of course it is a scam to charge MOST of your passnegers the same or MORE as a major carrier and deny them the benefit of a ff program.

Just do the math

Spend $300 and make five transcon trips with Jet Blue and you get five transcom trips (with tv of course and yoga)

Spend $300-400 and make five transcom trips with most majors and you get:
Five transcom trips
Elite status
Bonus miles
First class upgrades
Approx 25,000 miles a free trip on short notice anywhere in the U.S. (value up to $500 or more) or 1/2 a free trip to Asia or Australia with some carriers or just short of a free trip to Hawaii value $600-$1.000 or more.

Serious ff llove Jet Blue- they don't need the competition for these valuable rewards. But talk to them- they'll spill the beans. Jet Blue is a rip-off for MOST people except the last minute traveler.

The Jet Blue pitch, of course, isn't to business types it's to unsuspecting flyers who have no notion of the value of ff programs. It takes years to figure out just how important and valuable these miles are.

(Of course the execs at JB know just how valuable they are- that's why you're not getting any)

Oh yeah, and to JFK flyer: How was Singapore?
Old Oct 31, 2002, 12:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by odnyc:

Just do the math

Spend $300 and make five transcon trips with Jet Blue and you get five transcom trips (with tv of course and yoga)

Spend $300-400 and make five transcom trips with most majors and you get:
Five transcom trips
Elite status
Bonus miles
First class upgrades
Approx 25,000 miles a free trip on short notice anywhere in the U.S. (value up to $500 or more) or 1/2 a free trip to Asia or Australia with some carriers or just short of a free trip to Hawaii value $600-$1.000 or more.
</font>

You are not making New Yorkers look smart, odnyc, but do tell me where you can locate that $300-400 on CO for weekday back-to-back trips to SFO from EWR. It doesn't exist!!! LOL You must be a troll because nobody could be this stupid.

Hmmm, why start a new post? Afraid to address the realities of the first one. Oh where oh where is that $300 fare roundtrip to the westcoast on a back to back weekday which you say exists?

[This message has been edited by Analise (edited 10-31-2002).]
Old Oct 31, 2002, 12:16 pm

dude, odnyc why don't you just shut the explictive explictive explictive you get the idea up..... If you dislike jetBlue so much and is so concerned why don't you go run some Ads on NBC PrimeTime...............
Old Oct 31, 2002, 3:14 pm

Odnyc, do you work for AA or something? It seems that you very naively dismiss JetBlue. By your logic, people in Charlotte would have absolutely no reason to fly ATA (no FF program whatsoever). Guess what- ATA is the FIRST LOW FARE carrier in CLT, and if it wasn't for them, CLT flyers would be paying an arm and a leg for flights to the West Coast.

So USE IT OR LOSE IT. If you so much like the Majors' high fares, then fly with them all you want.

Old Oct 31, 2002, 3:17 pm
exAC

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BackOfTheBus:
Odnyc, do you work for AA or something? </font>
The people that hate JetBlue the worst are the people at Southwest!!!

Old Oct 31, 2002, 4:03 pm

ODNYC... you bring up a good point! I just invested about $400.00 in 5 transcons on UA, AA, and CO each, total spent = $1200.00 and lots of flying back and forth. I will now have elite status on all majors, and can upgrade my seat to first class and booze it up! Also, I now have a free ticket on 3 different carriers... Yahoo!!!!

Gee, what was I thinking when I stepped onto the jetBlue flight the other week?

But in reality, what is the advantage for an ordinary Joe to fly one airline or another? I have a few friends who ALWAYS look for the lowest fares, not what kind of mileage perks and elite status is available. I too am frugal, and look around, although I find myself on DL metal more often than not, but for good reason... I fly about 150,000 miles a year on them (this year pushing 200k) and about 50k on UA, and they treat me well.

Now... let's see about earning miles and redemption.

In order to accumulate enough miles for a free domestic ticket (usually 25k), this translates into ~ 5 transcon r/t (5k each way). With some tricky routing or online booking bonus, you can reduce it to 4 transcon r/t.
Lowest r/t on the majors (with a multitude of restrictions) is about $200.00 (BWI - LAX). So, $200.00 x 4 r/t = $800.00and 25k miles and silver (lowest elite tier).

I believe on UA, you get 4-500 mile upgrades, so I really can't upgrade from LAX to BWI, unless I give up my seat somewhere over Cleveland. And the upgrade is a hit or miss. Free flight would be in coach.

Now for jetBlue: IIRC, there is a 10 point bonus signup, and double point if booked online. So, IAD – LAX = 12 points ( 6 points x 2) for each direction. Taking 4 transcons (8 segments) I will net 96 points, plus the 10 points for joining. This = a free ticket. But no elite status, or chance of upgrades.

BUT you know what??? Who gives a CR@P!!! those FF’s like me look for good deals when we can, and those who can only afford to visit grandma on a $200.00 budget look for the best fares out there, without regard to the perks!

BTW, ODNYC… where did you find the 5 transcons for $300.00? And, please find me a one way ticket from Washington DC to Los Angeles on the majors for less than $125.00. Or a round trip from LAX to JFK leaving on Tuesday and returning on Thursday for less than $270.00.
Old Oct 31, 2002, 5:46 pm

I knew that JBLU is a favorite of short sellers, but I though they limited their bearish hype to Raging Bull.
Old Nov 1, 2002, 6:10 am

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH nothing,IHG Gold
Where would you find a $99.00 plus tax one way fare on any of the majors.
Who wants to fly 5 round trips just to get some points that will you elite status and perks that you not guaranteed of being able to use. Seems that those 25,0000 CO points trips are hard to find.
I think its all those dumb people booking with travel agents paying all those high fares that allows the majors to discount a limited number of seats.
If I am flying bay area or LA to Washington or New York I don't want to have to go through a fortress hub like O'Hare or Dallas and then wait behind 20 other planes to take off.
Old Nov 1, 2002, 7:15 pm

Well it looks like some bad blood or it jealousy. Jet Blue has ,(is) eating the major airlines's lunch since Jet BLue was born.
Fly Jet Blue or not , it is making money. If someone has a ***** with it why not just move on .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.