Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

JetBlue meal types - Hindu, Muslim, huh? Just want ovo-lacto vegetarian

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JetBlue meal types - Hindu, Muslim, huh? Just want ovo-lacto vegetarian

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2024, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Question JetBlue meal types - Hindu, Muslim, huh? Just want ovo-lacto vegetarian

I am a vegetarian but I am not vegan and I have a soy sensitivity. I'm flying to Dublin from JFK and back, and I don't see a way to request an "ovo-lacto vegetarian" meal, which is what I've seen most other airlines offer. My choices are Muslim meal, Hindu meal, Kosher meal, vegetarian vegan meal, gluten-free meal, low-calorie meal, and plane eats meal (whatever that last one is). Which of these is just vegetarian?

I recently flew JetBlue to London and back out of JFK. On the way there I accidentally requested the Muslim meal, which was great: it was roasted cauliflower with labneh, roasted carrots with harissa sauce, and rice with raisins and cashews. On the way home, I got the Hindi meal which was ok: cucumber coated in yogurt sauce, beets with coconut shreds, and saag paneer with rice.

Technically neither Muslims or Hindus are 100% vegetarian, I believe. But should I assume these meals will always be vegetarian for JetBlue?
Old Feb 26, 2024, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
It seems weird to describe a meal by religion, but you are correct that Muslims and Hindus are allowed to eat meat.

I would say if you want vegetarian, and want to be sure it's vegetarian, choose the vegetarian vegan option.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA, BA Avios, AMEX Plat
You can see the larger descriptions of the meals here:
https://www.jetblue.com/flying-with-...ial-meal-menus

It appears that both the Hindu and Muslim meals are indeed vegetarian. I'm not entirely sure why they have two choices and not a more "western" vegetarian option as it seems they are the same anyway.
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
It seems weird to describe a meal by religion, but you are correct that Muslims and Hindus are allowed to eat meat.

I would say if you want vegetarian, and want to be sure it's vegetarian, choose the vegetarian vegan option.
My concern is that a vegan meal will be soy-based and I have a soy sensitivity. I would like something vegetarian with dairy if possible. I may just roll the dice again on the Muslim and Hindu options since to and from London they were vegetarian. It's a very odd way to handle special meals from JetBlue, though.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 5:54 am

Programs: Mosaic. AA Gold, National EE, Avis PC
Honestly, if you have very specific requirements, you're likely safest bringing along something yourself. There's no guarantee the plane will be stocked properly if there's a last-minute equipment change, or that your specific meal won't accidentally be given to someone else before they get to you, among a million other things.
GW McLintock and Buster CT1K like this.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 12:16 pm

Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free
Im not trying to be a jerk, but if you have strict eating requirements you should bring your own food. They are not required to feed you so best to be prepared with something on your own just in case you know you can tolerate. I'm almost vegan myself and dont expect everyone to cater to my choices. Great if they can, but I come prepared
m.y likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

I always bring contingency snacks. I was just asking a simple question about how JetBlue chooses to label their special meals. The nice thing about JetBlue is that they also offer multiple entrees and sides as their normal meal service, so you can also build your own meal, if at least some of the options work for you. But I am paying for Mint, so I would like to try to get a meal I'd enjoy.
Buster CT1K likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 9:32 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
You mention both being vegetarian and having a soy sensitivity. IME Muslim/Hindu meals do not tend to include soy (generic "Asian Vegetarian" on other airlines often, but not always, includes tofu), so as at least the current menus are vegetarian, that's probably as high an assurance as you're going to get, especially for Mint where you can see the SPML menus (as cited upthread). The current vegetarian menu also appears to be soy free (unless it's lurking in a sauce or something).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.