Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Why did my flight go in a circle?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2023, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR

I happened to look out the window today on B6 1232 LGA-BOS and had a moment of "where the heck are we" until I realized we were over RI in the Newport area. And then we started turning, and so I kept watching.... We were turning and turning and turning and.... basically did a 360 degree turn and then continued on to Boston . Here's a screenshot of the flight path from FlightAware. I wanted to ask the pilots but didn't get a chance. Does anyone know why?

B6 1232 LGA-BOS Flightaware Flight Path - 5/17/23
Old May 17, 2023, 10:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
I happened to look out the window today on B6 1232 LGA-BOS and had a moment of "where the heck are we" until I realized we were over RI in the Newport area. And then we started turning, and so I kept watching.... We were turning and turning and turning and.... basically did a 360 degree turn and then continued on to Boston . Here's a screenshot of the flight path from FlightAware. I wanted to ask the pilots but didn't get a chance. Does anyone know why?

B6 1232 LGA-BOS Flightaware Flight Path - 5/17/23
Very likely a delay vector (in lieu of a more traditional holding pattern) issued by ATC to resolve a spacing issue between your flight and a preceding aircraft on the same route or encroaching traffic. These are not uncommon and ATC will sometimes ask a flight to make a right or left 360 and then rejoin the route...
sxpsxpsxp and GW McLintock like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.