Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jetblue Cancellation Policy?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2022, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Jetblue Cancellation Policy?

I'm a US Citizen. So I booked a flight from outside the US where I am at now back to the US on Jetblue site. I had thought you could always get the 24 hour courtesy cancellation but that only applies if your flight departs at least 7 days from when you booked? So if it's only 3 days from now, then I cannot cancel it? I could but there would be a change fee and if so, how much is that? I usually book with Delta and recall they didn't have that 7 day or less thing for courtesy cancel. So is it only Jetblue? Does American Airlines do this?

I wasn't sure what day exactly next week I would fly back to the US so I booked a ticket on Jetblue site now because I thought I could always courtesy cancel it within 24 hours. So I can't change the date or cancel it anymore? I booked the blue economy with the carry on ticket. It says nonrefundable on it. But even if you paid extra for the refundable, could you still cancel it if the flight leaves within 7 days

Also I had noticed you could check in a checked bag online for $30 on the website. So if you don't do that on the website but do it when you get there and check in, its $35? So you save $5 if you put 1 checked bag online?
Old Aug 27, 2022, 7:47 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
The DOT rule requires airlines to offer a free 24 hour hold or free cancellation within 24 hours of purchase for flights booked 7 days in advance. You could have checked airline web sites; the information is readily available. B6 and UA do the minimum legally required. AA and DL allow it for bookings made 48 hours in advance. AS allows it for bookings made 24 hours in advance.

Citizenship is irrelevant to any of this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 10:49 am
Original Poster

So that means I cannot ​​​​​​​courtesy ​​​​​​​can​​​​​​​cel then on Jetblue? But ​​​​​​​i coul​​​​​d have ​​​​​​​if th​​​​​​​is was booke​​​​​​​d on Amer​​​​​​​i​​​​​​​can or D​​​​​​​elta?

​​​​​​​

So what are my options then? No option or i could change the date but there is a huge change fee?
Old Aug 27, 2022, 11:28 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by jerry90210
So that means I cannot courtesy ​​​​​​​can​​​​​​​cel then on Jetblue? But ​​​​​​​i coul​​​​​d have ​​​​​​​if th​​​​​​​is was booke​​​​​​​d on Amer​​​​​​​i​​​​​​​can or D​​​​​​​elta?

Correct.
​​​​​​​

So what are my options then? No option or i could change the date but there is a huge change fee?
Make any changes with the change fee, which depends on your fare class. If it's a Blue fare, there's no change fee. https://www.jetblue.com/help/changes...ns-and-standby
Old Aug 27, 2022, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

How do I do that? Go to my account and click on cancel or change and see what the fees are? Blue fare.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Wait so no change fees on blue fare? How long does one have for that?
Old Aug 28, 2022, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ashill
Correct.

Make any changes with the change fee, which depends on your fare class. If it's a Blue fare, there's no change fee. https://www.jetblue.com/help/changes...ns-and-standby

So blue fare there is no change fee. However, what if you want to do a change and say you notice the one you want to change to cost cheaper than the one you already booked? Do you get the price difference back to travel credit or you do not get any travel difference between the price difference?

On google it says if your new booking cost less than your old booking, you do not get the price difference in travel credit. I cannot find this on jetblue website. Anyone can tell me what is the answer here?
Old Aug 28, 2022, 10:42 am
Original Poster

What about cancelling my flight? I don't think there is any change fee with this right and then I would get travel credit immediately in my account? Then I would book the new flight that is cheaper? Then after that, I would still have some remaining travel credit to use in the future? Does that work or not?

Can anyone here tell me if I could do either of these things if I find a cheaper flight?

Thanks.
Old May 14, 2023, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Say you want to book a flight for may 27 at say 1pm flight.

You are saying that you can't book a flight on may 20 and then cancel it with 24 hours because your flight departs in less than 7 days? But if you did it day before you can? So jetblue has that rule but delta and american has 3 days?
Old Oct 28, 2023, 2:21 am
Original Poster

Has anything changed with Jetblue recently? So you can't change your flight without paying a fee only if you book jetblue basic right? I always book jetblue blue because I have 1 piece of luggage.

So if I book a flight with jetblue say 2 weeks from now and jetblue blue, I know there is the 24 hour courtesy cancellation. But if I wanted to change my flight or cancel it, can I still do it less than 7 days before departure? I remember something about american and jetblue where you can't change or cancel if the flight departs within 7 days compared to delta which is either 3 days or even the same day?

Or you can still change or cancel it and you get jetblue credit that you can use up to a year?
Old Oct 28, 2023, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Nothing has changed recently. Fare rules are the same and are very clearly explained on jetblue.com.

-J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.