Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

[Agreement terminated March 2024] B6, NK agree to $3.8 billion merger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Agreement terminated March 2024] B6, NK agree to $3.8 billion merger

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2023, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Flyertalker1
so the NEA gets dropped as a concession? NEA is significantly less valuable than additional planes and slots from Spirit.
Agreed, and why I feel it has a good chance of being part of the settlement (although still too early to know for sure where it will end up, e.g. what happens with the actual NEA lawsuit). It's an overall win for both: The NEA dissolving is a much bigger win for the DOJ than blocking the merger because it reduces AA's concentration (currently the world's largest airline based on ASMs, before factoring in its AS/B6/NK partnerships). JetBlue wins because it likely means less they would have to give up in NYC/BOS/FLL as well as any medium term promises about continuing service to certain cities or other requirements. It also solidifies JetBlue's argument that it is going to be "taking on the Big 4" as that's a very difficult claim to say with a straight face when they have a joint venture with the biggest of those 4 in B6's 2 largest cities.

I'd expect B6 feels the same way, but they are not very willing to give it up yet - if they feel the court ruling against the merger becomes a material possibility or if they can't get the DOJ to accept some other minor concessions first then expect to see it offered up.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 4:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
JetBlue announces plans for 200 Daily Flights from MCO post-Spirit merger

JetBlue in addition to announcing 2 new International routes from MCO set to start later this year also announced it would be planning 200 flights a day from MCO once the merger with Spirit is finalized. According to the plans B6 would also start service up to 20 new destinations currently not served direct by either NK or B6 from MCO. In addition Mint service appears to be coming to MCO on select routes (presumably transons).

https://simpleflying.com/jetblue-new...ican-republic/
Old Mar 17, 2023, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
JetBlue in addition to announcing 2 new International routes from MCO set to start later this year also announced it would be planning 200 flights a day from MCO once the merger with Spirit is finalized. According to the plans B6 would also start service up to 20 new destinations currently not served direct by either NK or B6 from MCO. In addition Mint service appears to be coming to MCO on select routes (presumably transons).

https://simpleflying.com/jetblue-new...ican-republic/
I suppose JetBlue's commitment to MCO would help a market like ACY keep its MCO flights from JetBlue.

JetBlue should look into servicing ABE. Allegiant has thrived there in their absence (with addition of Denver this year) but I presume for Florida, most passengers would prefer landing in MCO over SFB. Potential passengers who live a little closer to PHL but within one hour from ABE might be okay driving a little more distance, with the NE extension of PA Turnpike have 3 lanes each way for most of the drive. And then, have easier parking and experience plus JetBlue would be the only one covering the route, and maybe others, and it's closer to Poconos for reverse traffic for Floridians that might want to escape the heat/humidity in Spring to Fall months.
Old May 19, 2023, 2:07 pm

​​​​​​Judge sides with the gov't, blocks the NEA.

Not a shock, the parties could potentially appeal, but we'll see if they feel it is worth it. Posting here because I feel this will greatly impact the Spirit lawsuit - B6 could have potentially settled this merger suit by dropping the NEA, but now, that's essentially worthless to the DOJ and will mean greater concessions elsewhere.

Last edited by lowfareair; May 19, 2023 at 2:58 pm
Old May 20, 2023, 2:31 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, TrueBlue, SkyMiles, HH SM, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Feels like any airline combination will be blocked, regardless of which airlines are involved.

It doesn't help that airfares are generally moving higher and travelers are accepting the higher prices.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
Late to the discussion, but as a LAS captive traveler, having B6 here (in its current configuration/philosophy) is an upgrade over NK. Been using WN for work travel for years now and I hate it. Will be great to have a different option. Hoping they keep the entire NK network in tact here...
Old Sep 17, 2023, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
In other news as well, B6 pilots are now in support of the merger. They’re agreed!

https://skift.com/blog/jetblue-pilots-back-spirit-airlines-merger/?utm_content=264522022&utm_medium=social&utm_sourc e=facebook&hss_channel=fbp-15594262118121
Old Dec 5, 2023, 6:24 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, TrueBlue, SkyMiles, HH SM, Amtrak Guest Rewards
The trial ends soon JetBlue Seeks Court Approval of its Acquisition of Spirit Airlines - The New York Times (nytimes.com)
Today was the closing arguments
Old Jan 2, 2024, 3:36 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
The trial has gone to the judge. There is no announced timeline for the decision.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 8:40 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy LT Plat, AA Gold
Maybe this merger is beneficial for consumers by having a larger all Airbus airline

the price havoc on flights over the next few months from this Boeing incident is going to be a mess
Old Jan 6, 2024, 11:44 am

Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free
Maybe this merger is beneficial for consumers by having a larger all Airbus airline

the price havoc on flights over the next few months from this Boeing incident is going to be a mess
Born and raised here in Seattle to a Boeing family and 100% agree here. Boeing lost it with Condit at the helms, and all the issues can be traced to him really. Fly AS a lot on my transcons, and they just dumped the last of their Airbuses so guess Im glad next trips are B6 lol
Old Jan 6, 2024, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L

Originally Posted by DG206
Born and raised here in Seattle to a Boeing family and 100% agree here. Boeing lost it with Condit at the helms, and all the issues can be traced to him really. Fly AS a lot on my transcons, and they just dumped the last of their Airbuses so guess Im glad next trips are B6 lol
Totally sensationalist (and off-topic)

The door plugs used on the MAX 9 have been used on the 900ER for years (and have been available for the 757 and 767 for decades). The incident aircraft was less than 3 months old. It's obviously not a design flaw, so it's either a quality issue (so only affecting recent builds) or a maintenance issue (only affecting that particular aircraft).

I could get started on JetBlue maintenance practices (or the lack thereof). But this is not the forum for that, either.

Though this still has nothing to do with the B6-NK merger.

-J.
jjbiv likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 1:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy LT Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Totally sensationalist (and off-topic)

The door plugs used on the MAX 9 have been used on the 900ER for years (and have been available for the 757 and 767 for decades). The incident aircraft was less than 3 months old. It's obviously not a design flaw, so it's either a quality issue (so only affecting recent builds) or a maintenance issue (only affecting that particular aircraft).

I could get started on JetBlue maintenance practices (or the lack thereof). But this is not the forum for that, either.

Though this still has nothing to do with the B6-NK merger.

-J.
it absolutely is relevant to the merger and adds a new wrinkle. The US consumer flight market and “hub” market analysis should have considerable discussion on Boeing vs. airbus exposure.

Overexposure to one plane mfg co can exhibit pricing swings much worse than a B6 merger.

the consumers in Houston, Chicago, and Las Vegas will now experience price shocks due to Boeing exposure via UA / SW
Old Jan 6, 2024, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
it absolutely is relevant to the merger and adds a new wrinkle. The US consumer flight market and “hub” market analysis should have considerable discussion on Boeing vs. airbus exposure.

Overexposure to one plane mfg co can exhibit pricing swings much worse than a B6 merger.

the consumers in Houston, Chicago, and Las Vegas will now experience price shocks due to Boeing exposure via UA / SW
Southwest has no aircraft equipped with exit door plugs, so they will be unaffected. United has 79 MAX 9s and Alaska has 65. Alaska is on track to finish inspections by Tuesday. United (with their many more resources) I'm sure will finish on a similar schedule. I fail to see how this is any worse from an economic perspective than the PW engine issues that continue to plague JetBlue's A321neo and A220 fleet (or Spirit's entire NEO fleet) when additional inspections were required.

With specific regard to whatever "manufacturer overexposure analysis" you're talking about, that's like saying a taxi company which buys a smaller competitor should be analyzed by the government for having too many Toyota Camrys or Chevy Malibus instead of a mix of all cars. Where do we draw the line on government involvement? I only buy Cadillacs; am I overexposed and is the DMV going to tell me to get a Hyundai next?

-J.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 7:34 am

Just a few days before this Airbus lost their first A350 so what are you only going to fly now COMAC?
GW McLintock likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.