Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

JetBlue offering to buy Spirit for $3.6B in Cash

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JetBlue offering to buy Spirit for $3.6B in Cash

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2022, 7:00 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, TrueBlue, SkyMiles, HH SM, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Seems like some kind of negotiated solution among all three airlines may make the most sense
Three way merger
Old Jul 7, 2022, 7:06 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by dx3003
Three way merger
With rotating leadership. Each company pays another company a breakup fee if it fails. What could go wrong?
lowfareair likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
I could see F9 and B6 splitting up Spirit... everyone gets a piece of the (humble) pie.

-J.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
I could see F9 and B6 splitting up Spirit... everyone gets a piece of the (humble) pie.

-J.
I think B6 leadership probably wants to completely bury F9 at this point, I know I would.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 9:58 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Seems like the battle is over at this point. F9 acknowledges they are far from getting enough votes to approve their deal and have announced their proposal is the last and final deal. There is no reason for NK to delay the meeting again beyond 15 July if there is no chance of the F9 deal getting approved.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 10:19 am

Goodbye F9, was nice knowing ya

Last edited by Sandeep1; Jul 11, 2022 at 10:45 am
Old Jul 13, 2022, 5:28 am

Rolling dela…I mean vote delayed again. July 27th
Old Jul 13, 2022, 7:01 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by michael1023
Rolling dela…I mean vote delayed again. July 27th
Maybe trying to see if Frontier might reconsider and up the ante? Who knows. I wonder what happens if Jet Blue decides to change its offer, less than before, but still more than Frontier.
The pop corn is getting cold, time to get more.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 8:55 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by arollins
Maybe trying to see if Frontier might reconsider and up the ante? Who knows. I wonder what happens if Jet Blue decides to change its offer, less than before, but still more than Frontier.
The pop corn is getting cold, time to get more.
Perhaps, although Frontier has made it fairly clear this is their last and best offer.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 9:13 am

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
So JetBlue won, good for them!
Old Jul 26, 2022, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by gkbiiii
Do you have a link or source? I've heard rumblings but haven't seen anything official yet (then again I haven't really had the chance to look). I thought the vote was going to be tomorrow.

-J.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by gkbiiii
will this bring down prices?
Old Jul 26, 2022, 9:59 pm

For who? Spirit or JetBlue customers? Not likely. US3 customers? Perhaps. Companies don't generally spend billions of dollars to lower prices for their customers.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Pickles
It's like two drunks leaning on each other for support. B6 does not have the managerial skill to run itself as is, much less manage a massive acquisition of a completely different and not really complementary company.
20 years of airlines mergers teach us that when you weld two mediocre operations together, you never magically create one healthy one. You get one big mess.

I love the notion and strategy of JetBlue, but in execution I think it's run about like a high school bake sale, and I go back 15 years with B6. The prospect of this management upscaling to take charge of a fifth national network carrier is partly hilarious, partly radioactive.

You must be joking. All mergers of this nature are about consolidating pricing power, eliminating competition, and increasing shareholder returns. The main effect of this deal will be to erase Spirit's downward pricing pressure and free the remaining entrants to charge more.
MileageAddict, Daze, jjbiv and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Spirit-Frontier deal terminated... https://www.benzinga.com/pressreleas...-with-frontier

-J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.