Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

JetBlue offering to buy Spirit for $3.6B in Cash

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JetBlue offering to buy Spirit for $3.6B in Cash

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2022, 5:23 pm

I think the votes just been delayed until July 8th. I think that benefits JetBlue honestly. Thoughts?
Old Jun 29, 2022, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
I am so over this. Either the flying public loses a major ULCC option (negative) or JetBlue doesn't grow and can't compete (negative). In the end we all lose. I've accepted the fact that my stock in JB will never recover and I'll have to work an extra couple of years longer than planned to retire. That's my own fault, but like I said, we all lose.

-J.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 6:35 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I have been confused about this entire thing because JetBlue is acting like they have to win this, or else they go under or something. I didn’t understand that at first but maybe it is the case, effectively.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos
I have been confused about this entire thing because JetBlue is acting like they have to win this, or else they go under or something. I didn’t understand that at first but maybe it is the case, effectively.
Certainly appears that way
Old Jun 29, 2022, 6:49 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by diburning
Realize that if they don't win this, there will be no house in the long term to get in order because they will either stagnate or get swallowed up by a bigger airline.

On the surface, the planes and the employees would be a short term acquisition that would result in improvements coming soon. On a deeper level, realize that JetBlue has a poor presence on the west coast because they can't fully get into the busy competitive slot controlled airports. At airports where they can get in, the slots either aren't ideal, or are expensive because they're shoved into an international terminal, etc. When they lost VX, they lost a real opportunity to expand on the west coast. The fact of the matter is, the US airline industry is running out of smaller airlines that JetBlue can acquire for growth. Spirit may not have a west coast hub, or very many valuable slots, but some slots and some routes are better than none. Buying out other smaller airlines is the only way JetBlue can catch up to the larger airlines and stay in existence because organic growth just isn't fast enough, and the other larger airlines will be looking to buy them instead.
Isn’t the real issue here
1) Planes
2) Pilots
3) Staff
4) Slots

It seems like Mayor Pete or someone can engineer a solution that gets everyone the machinery and slots they need to grow eventually, and the labor issues should be fixed over time with higher pay, changed training requirements, etc
Old Jun 29, 2022, 8:07 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, TrueBlue, SkyMiles, HH SM, Amtrak Guest Rewards
If there are concerns of B6 acquiring another airline, how would B6 being acquired pass regulatory muster?
Old Jun 29, 2022, 8:15 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I have been confused about this entire thing because JetBlue is acting like they have to win this, or else they go under or something.
...or top management loses their jobs. I think THAT is what they fear. And that's what will happen anyway if they make this deal.

It's like Chamberlain's deal with Hitler. You could argue that he bought time for England to arm itself, but Germany also used that time to arm up. Chamberlain was politically doomed if he signed, and also if he didn't.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Hayes is at the helm 7 years now... the last two CEOs each lasted around the same amount of time. Not to be superstitious

Amusing article in Yahoo! Finance by TWU President John Samuelsen. He is just afraid that if the merger goes though, his JetBlue FAs will jump ship to AFA -- that would be one of the silver linings if this actually happens.

-J.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 8:12 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
1) Planes
2) Pilots
3) Staff
4) Slots

It seems like Mayor Pete or someone can engineer a solution that gets everyone the machinery and slots they need to grow eventually, and the labor issues should be fixed over time with higher pay, changed training requirements, etc
Those are short term issues. Growth to compete to not get acquired by a larger airline is the long term issue.

Originally Posted by dx3003
If there are concerns of B6 acquiring another airline, how would B6 being acquired pass regulatory muster?
Because larger airlines will grow faster. If JetBlue stagnates, other airlines will grow faster than they do, and then at that point, JetBlue will be such a small player that getting bought out would not be an issue for regulators. If JetBlue doesn't get a piece of the merger pie, other airlines will merge with each other and JetBlue's market share will diminish to the point where they become a target for takeover themselves.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 9:20 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
1) Planes
2) Pilots
3) Staff
4) Slots

JetBlue wants to be a major airline. This merger will move them up on the list. Otherwise, how attractive is investing into a smaller airline like Jetblue, heading into a recession, that is being plagued by fuel and labor costs?

As a consumer, I don't want Spirit and JetBlue to merge. As a shareholder, I am actually a bit perplexed by Spirit's adamant opposition to the deal. Is it really that much more likely that a Frontier merger would be approved while JetBlue wouldn't? The continuous postponing of the vote would indicate either Spirit is thinking about it or doesn't have the votes they want to have. If I had to guess from the language used, I'd go with the latter.

I think it's going to be a tough sell to convince the shareholder to go with Frontier.
diburning likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Super Mario
JetBlue wants to be a major airline. This merger will move them up on the list. Otherwise, how attractive is investing into a smaller airline like Jetblue, heading into a recession, that is being plagued by fuel and labor costs?

As a consumer, I don't want Spirit and JetBlue to merge. As a shareholder, I am actually a bit perplexed by Spirit's adamant opposition to the deal. Is it really that much more likely that a Frontier merger would be approved while JetBlue wouldn't? The continuous postponing of the vote would indicate either Spirit is thinking about it or doesn't have the votes they want to have. If I had to guess from the language used, I'd go with the latter.

I think it's going to be a tough sell to convince the shareholder to go with Frontier.
Spirit almost certainly doesn't have the votes to merge with Frontier. There were reports of large institutional holders sending notices to Spirit informing them that the JBLU offer was superior and to act accordingly.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
It's like two drunks leaning on each other for support. B6 does not have the managerial skill to run itself as is, much less manage a massive acquisition of a completely different and not really complementary company. I don't know what hubris at B6 HQ gives them an iota of confidence that they know what they are doing.

I can just imagine B6 HQ being consumed with all this play-acting and posturing instead of running an airline. That attitude rolls down all the way to the lowliest baggage handler. Fish rots from the head down.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 4:43 pm

Vote delayed again…reminds me of rolling delays at JetBlue
Old Jul 7, 2022, 4:48 pm

Seems like some kind of negotiated solution among all three airlines may make the most sense
Old Jul 7, 2022, 4:51 pm

JB should just go hostile if this continues. Enough!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.