Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Blue Basic fares no longer include a carry-on

Old Jul 19, 2021, 8:41 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash
Original Poster

According to JetBlue's website, Blue Basic fares no longer include a carry-on bag, but (for certain routes at least) do include a checked bag. Was this an announced policy change and we just missed the memo or is this something brand new?

After selecting the fare and getting to the screen where you can add bags, it said this:

Hi AutoSlash, heads up! Carry-on bags are not allowed with this Blue Basic fare, but you can bring a personal item that fits under the seat in front of you. You can also check up to 2 bags—starting at $40/bag in advance ($35 within 24 hours of departure).
However, once we added one checked bag it came in as $0.00. Their IT is all kinds of screwed up. Almost as bad as Hertz (but not quite).

Should we even mention the stupidity that supposedly checking a bag within 24 hours is (supposedly) less than checking one prior to that?

Note that the above was on a JFK-ACK search. When we searched for JFK-MCO, it also said no carry-on bags but wanted to charge $30 for a checked bag. These rules are starting to feel really arbitrary.
GW McLintock and RWPrincess like this.

Last edited by AutoSlash; Jul 20, 2021 at 2:51 am
Old Jul 19, 2021, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Further info:

JetBlue-operated flights - For travel before 7/20/21, Blue Basic customers may bring one bag that fits in the overhead bin (space permitting for international itineraries) plus one personal item (purse, briefcase, laptop, etc.) that fits under the seat in front of them for free. For travel 7/20/21 or later, Blue Basic customers may only bring a personal item (purse, briefcase, laptop, etc.) that fits under the seat in front of them for free. Personal items may not go in the overhead bin and must not exceed 17" L (43.2 cm) x 13" W (33 cm) x 8" H (20.32 cm). Mosaics and eligible travelers on the same booking and traveling together, travelers combining a Blue Basic fare with an Even More Space seat (on all legs, if connecting), U.S. military and unaccompanied minors may still bring a carry-on bag that fits in the overhead bin (guaranteed space onboard for Even More Space seats on domestic flights within the U.S., space permitting for others) and one personal item. Blue, Blue Plus, Blue Extra and Mint may bring one bag that fits in the overhead bin (space permitting for international itineraries) plus one personal item (purse, briefcase, laptop, etc.) that fits under the seat in front of them for free. Any excess carry-on bags will be checked bags. Connecting on our partner airlines (including Cape Air) - The carry-on rules of a partner airline apply when checking in to a JetBlue flight that is connecting to the partner. See our partner page for more information. While JetBlue may allow additional carry-ons as a courtesy to customers connecting to our partner airline, JetBlue cannot guarantee that those bags will be accepted for in-cabin travel on the partner. Customers are encouraged to abide by partner's rules for their entire journey to avoid additional checked bag fees if their carry-ons do not meet size/weight restrictions. CHECKED BAGS: Checked bags may be subject to additional fees, depending on the type of fare purchased, route, method of payment, size and weight of bags, and other variables. For checked bag fees and allowances, refer to www.jetblue.com/bags. Other bag rules may apply if your travel includes more than one airline. Please review the bag policies of any codeshare and interline partners on your itinerary.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Quick update here... Blue Basic includes neither a carry-on bag nor a checked bag. The reason we saw that a checked bag was included free was because the pax on the reservation was a JetBlue Mastercard cardholder.
wanaflyforless and RWPrincess like this.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 7:05 pm
Suspended

Well as long as a pts res is Blue = free carry-on Im OK, but once my stash is gone so am I, with LT status on UA and AA I no longer will have a reason to fly B6 as much as I love them and even DL let me take a carry-on (w/o status). Now should the Big3 change their ways I will relook at B6
Old Jul 23, 2021, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by craz
Well as long as a pts res is Blue = free carry-on Im OK, but once my stash is gone so am I, with LT status on UA and AA I no longer will have a reason to fly B6 as much as I love them and even DL let me take a carry-on (w/o status). Now should the Big3 change their ways I will relook at B6
It's the opposite... the big 3 have improved their BE and B6 truly has the worst right now at the level of Frontier and Spirit
Old Jul 25, 2021, 9:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fly747first
It's the opposite... the big 3 have improved their BE and B6 truly has the worst right now at the level of Frontier and Spirit
??, I said as much and said should the Big3 reverse themselves I would relook at B6
Old Jul 25, 2021, 10:32 pm

I reserved an aisle seat for JFK to LAX with Blue Basic for $6 in the last 3 rows of the plane. You can't do that on a legacy.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 7:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bgasser
I reserved an aisle seat for JFK to LAX with Blue Basic for $6 in the last 3 rows of the plane. You can't do that on a legacy.
Even if they paid me I wouldnt sit so far back, simply hit turbluenece and you get hit the worse in the back and Im an aisle person
Old Jul 26, 2021, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
I heard through the grapevine that this may have (very, very quietly) been pushed back to August. Trying to find out more.

UPDATE: this is indeed correct The new rules will not be enforced for Blue Basic fares until August 10th. However, the carry-on guarantee for Blue fares and higher will still take effect immediately.

-J.

Last edited by GW McLintock; Jul 27, 2021 at 6:55 am
Old Jul 27, 2021, 4:57 pm

Programs: United, SPG
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
I heard through the grapevine that this may have (very, very quietly) been pushed back to August. Trying to find out more.

UPDATE: this is indeed correct The new rules will not be enforced for Blue Basic fares until August 10th. However, the carry-on guarantee for Blue fares and higher will still take effect immediately.

-J.
Is this publically announced? I am flying Aug 7 and want to carry-on a bag but don't want to get hit with $65 gate check fee.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by GW McLintock

-J.
I am on a codeshare operated by AA flight (BOS-MIA) , do the operating airlines carry on rules apply or Jetblue?

I cannot find any information, jetblue wont let me add a bag to my flight and AA advantage cannot find my ticket.

Am I in the clear either way because my flight is before August 10?
Old Jul 28, 2021, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by craz
??, I said as much and said should the Big3 reverse themselves I would relook at B6
Why would they want to copy B6? Give it 6 months before B6 realizes it is losing money and has to be less restrictive with BE.
RM at B6 is a swinging door and these analysts are often right out of school with zero experience so they think they can get away pricing Blue at over twice BE fares... how incredibly fortunate since they probably won't be around when it backfires on them as it often happens.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by fly747first
Why would they want to copy B6? Give it 6 months before B6 realizes it is losing money and has to be less restrictive with BE.
RM at B6 is a swinging door and these analysts are often right out of school with zero experience so they think they can get away pricing Blue at over twice BE fares... how incredibly fortunate since they probably won't be around when it backfires on them as it often happens.
Keep in mind that ua also had the more restrictive basic economy fare that does not allow carry on luggage. I think we will have to wait a while to see how this works out.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 2:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Further info:

JetBlue-operated flights - For travel before 7/20/21, Blue Basic customers may bring one bag that fits in the overhead bin (space permitting for international itineraries) plus one personal item (purse, briefcase, laptop, etc.) that fits under the seat in front of them for free. For travel 7/20/21 or later, Blue Basic customers may only bring a personal item (purse, briefcase, laptop, etc.) that fits under the seat in front of them for free. Personal items may not go in the overhead bin and must not exceed 17" L (43.2 cm) x 13" W (33 cm) x 8" H (20.32 cm). Mosaics and eligible travelers on the same booking and traveling together, travelers combining a Blue Basic fare with an Even More Space seat (on all legs, if connecting), U.S. military and unaccompanied minors may still bring a carry-on bag that fits in the overhead bin (guaranteed space onboard for Even More Space seats on domestic flights within the U.S., space permitting for others) and one personal item. Blue, Blue Plus, Blue Extra and Mint may bring one bag that fits in the overhead bin (space permitting for international itineraries) plus one personal item (purse, briefcase, laptop, etc.) that fits under the seat in front of them for free. Any excess carry-on bags will be checked bags. Connecting on our partner airlines (including Cape Air) - The carry-on rules of a partner airline apply when checking in to a JetBlue flight that is connecting to the partner. See our partner page for more information. While JetBlue may allow additional carry-ons as a courtesy to customers connecting to our partner airline, JetBlue cannot guarantee that those bags will be accepted for in-cabin travel on the partner. Customers are encouraged to abide by partner's rules for their entire journey to avoid additional checked bag fees if their carry-ons do not meet size/weight restrictions. CHECKED BAGS: Checked bags may be subject to additional fees, depending on the type of fare purchased, route, method of payment, size and weight of bags, and other variables. For checked bag fees and allowances, refer to www.jetblue.com/bags. Other bag rules may apply if your travel includes more than one airline. Please review the bag policies of any codeshare and interline partners on your itinerary.
So based on this, it sounds like Mosaics can still carry on a bag for the overhead bin. I just tried booking a Blue Basic fare because it's significantly cheaper than the next level fare but then it wouldn't let me use points to book an EMS seat. So at that rate, I may as well just book the more expensive fare.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 11:58 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, AA Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by RWPrincess
So based on this, it sounds like Mosaics can still carry on a bag for the overhead bin. I just tried booking a Blue Basic fare because it's significantly cheaper than the next level fare but then it wouldn't let me use points to book an EMS seat. So at that rate, I may as well just book the more expensive fare.
I agree, it sounds like this should work...but it's beyond insane that this hasn't been clearly communicated to Mosaic members. It's like B6 is daring us to take our business elsewhere at this point! Then again, with last fall's EMS seat devals & the free cancellation given to all...there's almost no point to Mosaic nowadays anyway.

It's really said that B6 has essentially given up on their top-tier customers. Dropping everything that made JetBlue a premium airline in order to become a feeder for AA really doesn't seem like a solid long-term strategy. This may help them in the short term (2021 & 2022), but every single move they've made has been to cheapen the JetBlue brand and make it more like AA & Spirit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.