Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

What does JetBlue do with these unsold EMS seats?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2021, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MSC Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, RCCL Platinum, IHG Platinum Elite

This is for a flight in two days. What does JB do with these seats if they go unsold? Do they lower the EMS price? Free upgrades or sell them at regular core seat prices?
Old Mar 29, 2021, 8:04 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

They typically do nothing with them other than offer them as comp upgrades at the gate (or sometimes at the check-in counter) to Mosaics. Yes, there is "spoilage" when they go unsold, but it's also a calculated decision based on people potentially not upgrading at full price if they thought the price might drop at the last minute.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 5:06 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
If the upgrades go unsold, then people without seat assignments will be assigned those seats.

Basically, the seats are in the same inventory as regular seats, so they'll sell tickets for them. The upgrade fee is an anciliary fee.

Officially, gate agents are supposed to just assign seats to people without seat assignments (people who didn't select a seat, people with blue basic fares, nonrevs) starting with what's left of the regular seats, and then they'll overflow into EMS.

This is not official policy, but some gate agents, if they have time, will page Mosaics to the counter by name and ask if they'd like to move up for free, to free up the regular seats to put blue basic fare passengers in their regular seat.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 9:32 am

I've seen them left empty as well and after the door closes even on occasion with a self-upgrader asked by an FA to pay or move back to their assigned seat.
bgasser, Harmoncove and seawolf like this.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Back when I was a Mosaic on a very lightly loaded flight, the FA announced that passengers were free to move about to take other seats except for EMS almost all of which went empty (I had already booked EMS with points).
Old Mar 30, 2021, 2:00 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by diburning
This is not official policy, but some gate agents, if they have time, will page Mosaics to the counter by name and ask if they'd like to move up for free, to free up the regular seats to put blue basic fare passengers in their regular seat.
Same day EMS upgrades are actually official now (after years of being unofficial), though I don't think the gate agents are required to be proactive about it:

Free same-day Even MoreŽ Space for Mosaics!
In addition to having more options to reach Mosaic status, once you do, you’ll be able to step up to an Even More Space seat at no extra charge at the airport (first come, first served—pending availability).
Old Mar 31, 2021, 5:17 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by diburning
If the upgrades go unsold, then people without seat assignments will be assigned those seats.

This happened to us. Our flight from LGB/LAS connecting to BOS was very delayed so we would miss the connection. They offered us the nonstop LGB/BOS flight (that was 4x more expensive, which is why we booked the connection), and the only seats available were the EMS ones.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.