Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

JetBlue cancellations: Cash vs Points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2021, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Hi all, I am booking a trip for JetBlue next month, but there's a good chance I might not be able to take it. If I pay cash for Blue ticket, it seems the money will go into a travelbank account (even this is a little confusing on the website), but I don't know if I'll fly JetBlue again within a year. If I was to use points instead, would the points all be redeposited (and presumably last longer)?

Many thanks--I haven't flown JetBlue much so I'm unfamiliar with their program, but now that Virgin left they seem to be the only ones doing my PSP-NYC route.

Last edited by JGcalifornia; Mar 20, 2021 at 10:13 am
Old Mar 20, 2021, 11:40 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Yes, if you think you may not fly again within a year and you have the necessary points (or can transfer them in), then you're better off booking with points since they no longer expire.

JetBlue used to have one of the strictest expiration policies, with points expiring after just 12 months of inactivity. But that changed in 2013 and now they never expire as long as the TrueBlue account remains open.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 9:59 am

If you cancel a flight booked with points, will the taxes be refunded or will they go into the travel bank?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Yes, if you think you may not fly again within a year and you have the necessary points (or can transfer them in), then you're better off booking with points since they no longer expire.

JetBlue used to have one of the strictest expiration policies, with points expiring after just 12 months of inactivity. But that changed in 2013 and now they never expire as long as the TrueBlue account remains open.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 11:26 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by mslish
If you cancel a flight booked with points, will the taxes be refunded or will they go into the travel bank?

Thanks!
The taxes will go into a travel bank with the exception of the $5.60 TSA 9/11 security fee per segment. That would go back to the original form of payment.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 11:30 am

The taxes will go into a travel bank with the exception of the $5.60 TSA 9/11 security fee per segment. That would go back to the original form of payment.
Ugh, that's not ideal. Thanks for the response!
Old Mar 22, 2021, 12:32 pm
Suspended

News to me, every time I CXed my flight/s theTSA went into my TB, and Ive CXed dzs of flights and not once did the 5.60 or 11.20 go back onto my CC. Whats the secret for getting put onto your CC? In my case it really didnt matter since I knew either Id be rebooking then and there or within a few days, but still would be nic eto know how to avoid the TB for thos etimes that I wont know when my next trip will be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.