Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Gatwick, Stansted likely for London launch

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gatwick, Stansted likely for London launch

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2020, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I can’t imagine there is much interest in flying to STN from BOS, so I suspect this will flop. There are no partners to take anybody anywhere from there either (pretty much same as LGW). Have there not been enough examples of these one-off route failures?
If they have codeshare flight. You will go on next flight on British Airways or Easyjet from LGW or STN. Your bags is automatically. They will transfer your bags. No need reclaim the bags.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 2:10 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by N830MH
If they have codeshare flight. You will go on next flight on British Airways or Easyjet from LGW or STN. Your bags is automatically. They will transfer your bags. No need reclaim the bags.
Easyjet don’t codeshare and BA won’t want to codeshare with JetBlue.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 11:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by N830MH
BA has codeshare flights with JetBlue? And they have flights from STN? I did not know this. Nor did I know that U2 interlines.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 4:28 am

Programs: Free agent, value for my money
If/When Crossrail finally opens in 2022, travel eastward and to the City from LHR greatly improves. On a relative basis, STN and LGW don't look as good.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 9:12 am

Alright, pour cold water on this news.
https://thepointsguy.com/news/jetblu...21-look-ahead/
What London airport JetBlue will serve was another topic Geraghty was mum on — except to say that flights will begin in the “backback half” of 2021.

If it's back back half of 2021, they are going to basically skip out on the summer season. I think it's pretty clear they are still just waiting on better slots to become available at LHR and LGW
cmd320 and James91 like this.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 9:19 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by notthatdeadyet
If/When Crossrail finally opens in 2022, travel eastward and to the City from LHR greatly improves. On a relative basis, STN and LGW don't look as good.
My primary destination is usually Canary Wharf, and I tend to use U2 for flights to the continent, so selfishly I'd be pretty happy with an LGW service. Even better if B6 and U2 managed some sort of tie-up/through ticketing/whatever, though I'm not holding my breath. Crossrail is a wildcard. If it ever opens, it makes LHR much less of a hassle for me, though I find LGW a bit less annoying to navigate. I'm also skeptical that Crossrail will open before the UK rejoins the EU

TBH, the biggest issue for me will be schedule. I fly VS26 almost exclusively eastbound, which is the daytime flight. A 5.5 hour flight with wifi that gets me in just in time for an episode of QI before going to bed is much more appealing than trying to sleep for maybe 4 hours in a chair. I can't imagine B6 operating a daytime eastbound flight with any of the slots they were given.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 10:35 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
I think these are just being held in case but they are unlikely to see these as their primary London slots. Norwegian just declared bankruptcy today. There is no way they will keep all their Gatwick slots even if they make it out the other end of the bankruptcy process. As mentioned, there are plenty of other airlines serving LON airports that are not in a good place financially. The slot waivers are not going to last forever—nor are some of the airlines flying to London now.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 6:34 pm
Suspended

LGW is not a bad option, but starting service to LTN would be a joke (and it's not even in London). Hope either they stick with LGW or manage to get slots at LHR, otherwise what's the point?
Old Nov 18, 2020, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by FlyEndeavorAir
LGW is not a bad option, but starting service to LTN would be a joke (and it's not even in London). Hope either they stick with LGW or manage to get slots at LHR, otherwise what's the point?
Was there mention of LTN?? Yikes, I can’t even walk through that dump without feeling like I need a shower.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 7:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cmd320
Was there mention of LTN?? Yikes, I can’t even walk through that dump without feeling like I need a shower.
My mistake meant Stansted (which is still far away and small) but yeah I fully agree, Luton is a dump.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 7:13 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by tphuang
If you can't get LGW slots yet, just wait for it or trade for some. You got a bunch of JFK slots that are not gettin used. A lot of airlines like DY/U2/VS are just holding on to their LGW slot hoping that the slot waivers will keep going. You can use those aircraft on LAX-HNL or NYC-LAX while just launching JFK-LGW. There is no reason to fire up schedule for 2x on BOS-STN and then find out you can get any bookings, because nobody in Boston wants to fly there!

I'm really thinking JetBlue cannot be this stupid. So, I'm inclined to think 2x BOS-STN is just contingency until they can get slots at LHR/LGW.
I think a lot of this is simply needing to play the slot allocation game for a while before slots become available; requesting slots and not getting them now may give them an advantage in future rounds. I would be shocked if they can't eventually get enough slots at LGW to make this work — especially since it's been rumored that BA is closing down Gatwick shorthaul permanently.

Personally I wouldn't mind service to LGW, but my one experience at STN makes me not especially eager to try it again.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by dtremit
I think a lot of this is simply needing to play the slot allocation game for a while before slots become available; requesting slots and not getting them now may give them an advantage in future rounds. I would be shocked if they can't eventually get enough slots at LGW to make this work — especially since it's been rumored that BA is closing down Gatwick shorthaul permanently.

Personally I wouldn't mind service to LGW, but my one experience at STN makes me not especially eager to try it again.
It's not just that. VS has abandoned LGW, but refuses to give up their slots. DY has just entered bankruptcy. There really should be a lot of slots available that are not being re-allocated due to slot waivers. B6 should be able to get them. The question is whether or not they can get sufficient LHR slots. I think it's possible for them to get 2 or 3 at LHR for BOS operation. It's hard for me to see them get enough slots to make their JFK operation successful unless VS goes under or LHR decides to make additional slots available for new entrants.

https://simpleflying.com/jetblue-targets-italy/
Robin Hayes recently said
“London is the number one priority. That’s where the most demand is and that’s where the fares have been astronomically hiked for so long in business class. So we will focus on London, we will keep adding flights to London until we have had a permanent effect on bringing fares down significantly and creating excitement to fly again. But there are other markets in Europe.”

I'd imagine they need to get to probably 2x to BOS and 4x to JFK before they can have permanent effect in bringing fares down. That will mean all of their LR deliveries in 2021 and 2022.

I think we need to wait a while longer.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 11:21 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Now that Norwegian has filed for bankruptcy, maybe there will be more Gatwick slots available.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by diburning
Now that Norwegian has filed for bankruptcy, maybe there will be more Gatwick slots available.
I don't understand "bankruptcy protection" as a full bankruptcy process so B6 might need to wait a bit longer for LGW slots.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 5:15 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Bottom line: not even a single attempt to operate TATL flights from STN or LTN airports was successful...

If memory serves: AA (twice), Silverjet, Primera Air, MAXjet, Eos Airlines.

They should really fight hard to get these LGW slots...
diburning likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.