Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

AA and B6 create strategic partnership

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA and B6 create strategic partnership

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2021, 10:00 am

There’s overlap on BOS-JFK, JFK-LAX, JFK-LAS, and JFK-SFO. Hope they will have their lie flat seats (Mint or Flagship) equipped planes on the last three routes.

Originally Posted by Bobberjet
Per VFTW, reportedly the full codeshare is intended to eventually be quite a bigger: from BOS, ATL, BNA, BUF, BWI, CLE, DEN, DTW, IAH JAX, JFK, LAX, MCO, MSP, PBI, PIT, RIC, RSV, SAV, SEA, SFO, SLC, TPA all on B6, and DCA, JFK, LAX, LGA, MIA, ORD on AA (no CMH, at least per this internal document). Selfishly, that maps onto my 'normal' flying much better, so an encouraging datapoint pending further implementation kinks (pilots' union, timing, ability to buy certain nonstop routes as codeshares).
Old Feb 22, 2021, 7:08 am

I'm Platinum on AA. Will i be upgraded to Mosaic on B6?
Old May 26, 2021, 7:11 am

this seems pretty important for this deal
JetBlue Delivers New Customer Benefits Under Northeast Alliance With Ability to Earn TrueBlue Loyalty Points on American Airlines Flights
Now you can earn miles on all the AA flights and vice versa (with the exception to TATL stuff)
Old May 26, 2021, 7:35 am

Programs: Free agent
All flights worldwide (aside from TATL I guess?) is great.
Old May 26, 2021, 7:43 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain
All flights worldwide (aside from TATL I guess?) is great.
For TrueBlue members they can earn on any AA flight worldwide. AAdvantage members do not earn points on B6 flights to London.
Old May 26, 2021, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
No class-of-service bonus for AA first?
Old May 26, 2021, 1:02 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
No class-of-service bonus for AA first?
Presumably F costs more than Y so you get more points. There's no class of service bonus for Mint, so...
Points Scrounger likes this.
Old May 26, 2021, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by mishugana
I'm Platinum on AA. Will i be upgraded to Mosaic on B6?

​​​​​​​

Why would JetBlue do that?

Do you hope they are mishugana?

Last edited by tondoleo; May 26, 2021 at 5:37 pm Reason: Elucidation
Old May 27, 2021, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
For TrueBlue members they can earn on any AA flight worldwide. AAdvantage members do not earn points on B6 flights to London.
I was going to say, one of the main reasons why AA is doing this NEA with B6 is for the ability to draw B6 customers onto its intl network. If they couldn't earn TB credit for those flights, it makes it much harder (although still possible with a B6 codeshare on such a flight). On the other hand, AA not allowing earnings on TATL flights on routes which are operated by both AA and B6, I understand due to the JV/ATI AA is a part of with BA/IB/AY/EI.
Old May 27, 2021, 12:50 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
It's unfortunate that so many points are still tied up in the JetBlue.com booking bonus. A lot of AA flights will have significantly lower earnings because they're not bookable through jetblue.com.

If we assume AA miles and B6 points have about the same value, then you end up with this decision tree:

For a base member in either program:
  • JetBlue flight, booked through jetblue.com: better earnings on JetBlue (6 points/$ vs 5 miles/$)
  • AA flight, booked through jetblue.com: better earnings on JetBlue (6 points/$ vs 5 miles/$)
  • AA flight, booked through aa.com: better earnings on AA (3 points/$ vs 5 miles/$)
For a Mosaic with no status on AA, crediting to B6 always is better thanks to the Mosaic bonus. Likewise, anyone with status on AA but none on B6 will do better crediting to AA.

AA EXPs actually earn significantly more on JetBlue than Mosaics — 11 miles/$ versus 9 points/$ for Mosaics.
Platinum Pros break even compared to Mosaics for JetBlue flights (9 miles or points/$) but don't have to worry about where they book.
AA PLTs are at a slight disadvantage to Mosaics on B6 metal (8 miles/$ vs 9 miles/$) or codeshares, but are ahead on AA metal not bookable on AA.com (8 miles/$ vs 6 miles/$). The same holds true for GLDs, with one less mile.

I'm anxious to see what reciprocal elite benefits look like, but I'm struggling to see why anyone who flies enough to qualify for AA PLT Pro would stick with True Blue, and I think you could argue that the added benefits of AA PLT would be enough to offset a ~11% shortfall. I think in practice, AA miles are probably worth slightly more, and certainly offer more flexibility.
Old May 30, 2021, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
[QUOTE=dtremit;33283699

AA EXPs actually earn significantly more on JetBlue than Mosaics — 11 miles/$ versus 9 points/$ for Mosaics.
Platinum Pros break even compared to Mosaics for JetBlue flights (9 miles or points/$) but don't have to worry about where they book.
AA PLTs are at a slight disadvantage to Mosaics on B6 metal (8 miles/$ vs 9 miles/$) or codeshares, but are ahead on AA metal not bookable on AA.com (8 miles/$ vs 6 miles/$). The same holds true for GLDs, with one less mile.

[/QUOTE]

AA has always taken much better care of its top elites than B6 to their Mosaic members.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by fly747first
AA has always taken much better care of its top elites than B6 to their Mosaic members.
Not going to argue with that -- but I'm surprised B6 would allow the partnership to proceed in such a way that high spend Mosaics are incentivized to switch programs.

JetBlue has also arguably been a better choice for mid-tier elites, but after the changes this year (devaluation of EMS-for-points, free changes across the board, etc.) I'm not convinced that is the case anymore.

Perhaps both of these anticipate a more attractive, revamped Mosaic program, but I'm skeptical.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 1:57 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by dtremit
I'm surprised B6 would allow the partnership to proceed in such a way that high spend Mosaics are incentivized to switch programs.
I wonder if they're trying to thin the Mosaics to make the eventual transition to a tiered program easier.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 12:14 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I do not understand why so many people are longing for tiered program?? Just leave it be.....
Old Jun 4, 2021, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by diburning
I wonder if they're trying to thin the Mosaics to make the eventual transition to a tiered program easier.
They've spent the past two years making it easier to keep Mosaic, so at least the thinning part of that seems unlikely.

Originally Posted by RedSun
I do not understand why so many people are longing for tiered program?? Just leave it be.....
I don't have any great desire for a tiered program, but in the past 18 months changes to Mosaic and the industry have taken it from being a great deal to IMHO almost worthless. I would be interested in a more rewarding status, whether it be as an improvement of the existing program, or a higher tier with better benefits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.