Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JetBlue is watching you

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2020, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

JetBlue is watching you

Contrary to JetBlue's narrative, they do track your fare searches and then increase the value of your flights based on those searches.

Case in point:
Flight to Punta Cana and back in April
Search on 17 Feb. Cost: 47,600 and $241 for two tickets
Search on 20 Feb. Same flights. Cost: 52,000 and $241 for two tickets.

I decided to go ahead with the tickets purchase and the total, all of the sudden, included another 400 points for the total of 52,400 points. Customer service wasn't able to explain the reason for 400 point increase beyond just stock: "Just as regular fares vary, the points required for an award flight also vary according to destination, day of the week, season, and advance booking window. Please keep in mind that all JetBlue fares, including TrueBlue point values, are subject to change until they are purchased."

Later I contacted the customer service about the honoring of the lower fares and got this response: "While the service of honoring a lower fare wasn't one we've publicized in the past, it's something we've been willing to do upon request. If you notice a lower fare on your same flight within five days of your original booking date, let us know by promptly calling 1-800-JETBLUE (538-2583)"

Ok, so I had five days to find the lower fare. To my disappointment, fare wouldn't drop within 5 days. But guess what happen on the 6th day? The fare drops to 49,200 points and $230! Now tell me that my search wasn't monitored!

In the future, I recommend you using VPN and alternate computer prior to making any JetBlue purchases.
Good luck, everyone!
Old Feb 28, 2020, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Did you clear your cookies and try again, or try on another computer, or look while logged out?

Otherwise it seems like a coincidence. Fares really do change. Unless you did any of the things I mentioned, it's just an unfortunate coincidence. Lots of people probably want to go to PUJ in April. Many of them are more likely to book their tickets during the week on their lunch break or after work than on the weekend when they are busy doing other things.

-J.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 4:19 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Jetblue actually in the past would always honor the lowest fare without any time constraints. This changed a few years ago and then they made it within 2 weeks of booking. The policy changed again a couple of years ago to within 5 days of booking.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 6:46 am
Original Poster

I used alternate device to look up the fare, but I think my mistake was the fact that I was still on the same IP of my home WIFI. I should have done the purchase in the Starbucks or something. Thank you for the reply!
Old Feb 29, 2020, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Yep, I guess JetBlue realized that they can raise more money by instituting unrealistic time frame on the consumer. Judging on how quick the customer service was quick to tell me that the fares "are subject to change until they are purchased," tells me that they are getting callers like me all the time and this issue has been persistent.
Thank you for your reply!
Old Feb 29, 2020, 6:33 pm

I guess I'll wear a tin foil hat the next time I search on their site.

Did you check the fares on an OTA at every step to confirm that JetBlue was only raising the rates for you?
Old Feb 29, 2020, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

OTA is not a bad idea. The only problem is that I was using miles.

Tin foil isn't bad either hahaha. But VPN is likely needed from alternate Wifi location.

Thank you for suggestion!

Last edited by ukrsindicat; Feb 29, 2020 at 7:12 pm Reason: adding
Old Mar 1, 2020, 6:44 pm

Programs: Free agent
They don't check.

Source: Checked all my bookings via incognito and untethered phone for about a year because I was traveling on my own money for work.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 10:11 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
JetBlue's website doesn't even remember what I searched for long enough for me to buy the ticket, half the time
Old Mar 5, 2020, 10:35 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Silver
JetBlue still thinks I'm flying to LGB back in January. Every time I open the app, that flight pops up as an "Upcoming Trip".
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 2:49 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
I rarely purchase on my first search but for flights several months out have repeatedly found:
Day 1, 1st search: Price
2nd search (either later in day or next day) Price has gone up
Day 3 Price at higher price, or price has gone up again
This would continue until I stop searching for 5 or more days, then the price usually reverts to the day one price.
This is either their pricing software interpreting my queries as anticipated demand and raising the price, or I'm being "watched"
Given this anecdotal evidence over the past 6 or 7 years, I may need to be fitted for a tin foil hat.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 3:19 pm

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by AMflier
This is either their pricing software interpreting my queries as anticipated demand and raising the price,
Here's the answer. They sold a seat and see people searching for more.
TastyPlaneEats likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by AMflier
I rarely purchase on my first search but for flights several months out have repeatedly found:
Day 1, 1st search: Price
2nd search (either later in day or next day) Price has gone up
Day 3 Price at higher price, or price has gone up again
This would continue until I stop searching for 5 or more days, then the price usually reverts to the day one price.
This is either their pricing software interpreting my queries as anticipated demand and raising the price, or I'm being "watched"
Given this anecdotal evidence over the past 6 or 7 years, I may need to be fitted for a tin foil hat.
And when you checked your favorite OTA or metasearch, did the fares match airline.com?
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:26 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
Originally Posted by audio-nut
And when you checked your favorite OTA or metasearch, did the fares match airline.com?
The rises only occured when checking fares at jetBlue.com. ITA Matrix tracked the fare increases. I never cross referenced with another OTA.
I've always been far enough out to wait the week and the fare returning to where it started or below has been pretty consistent.
I now use ITA matrix until I'm ready to purchase.
I'll take the tinfoil hat in silver please...

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/xTcf1gUpg87E5lNK2A" width="480" height="263" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/thetick-the-tick-xTcf1gUpg87E5lNK2A">via GIPHY</a></p>

Attempt to add a gif

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.