Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has Mint lost its edge?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Has Mint lost its edge?

Flew LAX to JFK in Mint recently - I've probably done one flight a year on Mint over the past few years, also mixing in AA and DL on transcons.

Mint seems to now price at $899 at a minimum from NYC to CA; the minimum price for AA business class is $859, and it seems Delta and United are at $1159; on business travel heavy dates, prices seem comparable across these (Alaska tends to be lower across the board)

No lounge access at LAX or at JFK, which is a negative compared to DL, UA, AA or Alaska. No Priority Pass options at LAX in Terminal 5 either

On the most recent flight, I was not offered a signature welcome drink, but was given a choice of a predeparture beverage. Meal service was pretty standard, with warm nuts, dinner with the three choices, and desert. Food seems slightly better quality than DL/AA, but not by much. Service was quality, but I've seen good service on other transcon routes as well

Throne seat was very private, but I feel like I get that in the Delta 767. AA's and UA's two seaters are less private for sure.

Overall, I used to be willing to pay a premium for Mint. Now I'm not sure if it is worth it anymore to go out of my way to book it on transcon routes. I've not flown other routes (JFK to LAS, for example), so maybe it retains value for that
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: Free agent
It's less premium than it was 5 years ago but is still the best TCON bang for your buck in my eyes. It's definitely a better value to less business-y routes like SAN/SEA.
cmx likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: Avios
No, it is still the best TCON out there.
Yoshi212 and cmx like this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
D1 on the 767 is a far inferior, outdated product. I would never even compare it to Mint.

That said, I do agree. Mint used to be better. The crews were more engaged and had pride in the product. Now it's just another transcon. A great experience still -- it is still special, but it used to be very special.

I agree with your assessment of the ground experience. That has always been an issue for Mint. I changed my habits to spend as little time at the airport as possible, but that turns into rushing to catch a flight, which is not very pleasant. JFK T5 used to have a lounge operated by a third party, accessible with PP; I never used it but I heard it was not great. At least at LAX you can access the AS lounge if you have PP.

Interesting that you were served warm nuts. The crews are instructed under no circumstances to heat the nuts.

-J.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
I still find the service consistently excellent on Mint. Hard for me to compare with the legacies these days since I don't take anyone else on premium TCONs.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
D1 on the 767 is a far inferior, outdated product. I would never even compare it to Mint.

That said, I do agree. Mint used to be better. The crews were more engaged and had pride in the product. Now it's just another transcon. A great experience still -- it is still special, but it used to be very special.

I agree with your assessment of the ground experience. That has always been an issue for Mint. I changed my habits to spend as little time at the airport as possible, but that turns into rushing to catch a flight, which is not very pleasant. JFK T5 used to have a lounge operated by a third party, accessible with PP; I never used it but I heard it was not great. At least at LAX you can access the AS lounge if you have PP.

Interesting that you were served warm nuts. The crews are instructed under no circumstances to heat the nuts.

-J.
Maybe I misremembered - I was served salt and pepper cashews. I thought they were warm, maybe not.

I think D1 gets an unfair rap - the seats aren't that comfortable, but everyone gets exit row access, service is good, meals are fine. I would probably pick one of the single seats in D1 over AA business class nowadays purely due to aisle access
Old Nov 18, 2019, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Maybe I misremembered - I was served salt and pepper cashews. I thought they were warm, maybe not.

I think D1 gets an unfair rap - the seats aren't that comfortable, but everyone gets exit row access, service is good, meals are fine. I would probably pick one of the single seats in D1 over AA business class nowadays purely due to aisle access
You know, I always forget about that. The 767 needs an update desperately, but direct aisle access for everyone is a big plus. Anytime I fly in Mint, I try to get an aisle seat.

-J.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
the minimum price for AA business class is $859
I've picked up several $709 JFK-LAX on midweek evenings on AA in the past few weeks.
Adelphos likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 12:43 am
Suspended

I feel it is still the best.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 4:53 am

Programs: Free agent
GW hits on a good point. I don't spend any extra time at the airport and Mint fits that perfectly. I'm a 30-40 minute subway ride from the AirTrain so I can eat a nice meal at home or locally and then just hop to the airport. If I'm returning from LAX/SFO I just stop at In n Out on my way in and eat it while waiting or as soon as I sit down. I can definitely see people that favor lounges or are transiting to a TATL/TPAC flight on either end having a very different opinion.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: Mosaic. AA Gold, National EE, Avis PC
Still flying Mint in preference to the others as well. Do miss a lounge in JFK T5, but the old priority pass wasn't much of anything, honestly.

Currently, I head over to the TWA hotel if I'm there early - yes, it's landside, but it's a very short indoor walk through the tunnels, has a very comfortable lounge/bar area, and even some food options (though I haven't tried those yet). With precheck, it's usually no more than a half hour from there to the gate. It's also very nice for early morning flights - I much prefer to get there the evening before and have a no-stress leisurely start to the trip, rather than an early morning car/taxi/subway.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 8:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
DL also uses 2x2 757s for D1. Those are not direct aisle access. I've also had several bad experiences with the meals on D1.

As someone who only recently started flying Mint, the overall experience is better than either UA or DL. I do wish the seat were more comfortable.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain
GW hits on a good point. I don't spend any extra time at the airport and Mint fits that perfectly. I'm a 30-40 minute subway ride from the AirTrain so I can eat a nice meal at home or locally and then just hop to the airport.
Slightly off topic, but (at least from where I live) the Q10 bus only takes 10-15 minutes longer than the AirTrain and is a free transfer from the subway. The power outlets and wifi almost allow you call it a lounge, albeit a crowded one

-J.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: M&M Senator, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Maybe stupid question, but what is the reason for not heating nuts under no circumstances?
Old Nov 19, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Braniq
Maybe stupid question, but what is the reason for not heating nuts under no circumstances?
Nobody really knows. I would presume it has something to do with limited oven space, timing it as to not burn the nuts, and keeping the oven closed so food heats evenly (remember how many years it took until warming bread was the standard?). There is only one oven on the entire plane so you can't heat things separately. Also, I don't think there is any container to heat the nuts in outside of the ceramic ramekins in which they are served, and those can't be too hot (unlike the actual meals, since you generally eat those with silverware).

It's also worded this strictly because they want customers to have a consistent experience. Lol.

-J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.