Changes to JetBlue Plus Card

Old Sep 27, 19, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Silver, D23 Charter Member, JetBlue Mosaic
Changes to JetBlue Plus Card

I received this email from Barclays this morning. Given all the other recent cost cuts discussed on here, I thought it warranted its own thread. I don't have any other Barclays cards so I don't know if these changes are JetBlue specific or for all Barclays cards.

Were making changes to the benefits you receive with your JetBlue Plus Card effective November 1, 2019.

Your Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver and Identity Theft benefits will be enhanced. For example, you will now have access to an online monitoring dashboard and resolution features that scour the internet and Dark Web for compromised credentials and financial account takeover.

Also, you will be eligible to receive Cellular Telephone Protection, which provides coverage for certain damage to or theft of your cell phone effective November 1, 2019.

Your Extended Warranty, Price Protection, Purchase Assurance, Satisfaction Guarantee and Trip Delay benefits will be removed; however, claims can be submitted for eligible purchases made through October 31, 2019.

Restrictions, limitations and exclusions apply. Please go to the Rewards and Benefits section of the website for specific information about benefits that are being removed and added. You can also refer to your Guide to Benefits effective 11/1/19 at [color=inherit !important]www.jetbluemastercard.com[/color], which includes a full explanation of your updated coverages and details regarding specific time limits, eligibility and documentation requirements.
Old Sep 28, 19, 12:13 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: DL KM, Bonvoy Gold, RHG Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Silver, Natl EE, Avis PC, Greyhound RR
That's actually pretty cool. And they're not taking away anything?

The Plus card is a good deal if you fly JetBlue a lot. Just sucks that it's Barclay's... that's the biggest reason I don't have it.

-J.
Old Sep 28, 19, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Silver, D23 Charter Member, JetBlue Mosaic
Originally Posted by GW McLintock View Post
That's actually pretty cool. And they're not taking away anything?

The Plus card is a good deal if you fly JetBlue a lot. Just sucks that it's Barclay's... that's the biggest reason I don't have it.

-J.
Your Extended Warranty, Price Protection, Purchase Assurance, Satisfaction Guarantee and Trip Delay benefits will be removed; however, claims can be submitted for eligible purchases made through October 31, 2019.
leonger likes this.
Old Sep 28, 19, 10:20 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: DL KM, Bonvoy Gold, RHG Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Silver, Natl EE, Avis PC, Greyhound RR
WOW! That sucks!

-J.
leonger and RWPrincess like this.
Old Sep 28, 19, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL, AA, US, AC, Marriott Platinum, HHhonors Silver (Woo Hoo!)
IMHO this is a net negative for cardholders.
Old Sep 30, 19, 5:58 am

Angry We need a cheat sheet!

Other cards will still have the extended warranty, price protection, etc. Just another way we have to choose our card by the benefits, like using a Costco card for restaurants because its 3% back.
Old Sep 30, 19, 9:59 am

I thought it was pretty much all Mastercards that were getting this cut (Citibank included, I think).
But maybe I read the other sites wrong (DoC and TPG)
Old Oct 2, 19, 5:28 am

I'm not sure what's going on here but between the Delta/Amex changes and all the changes with the JetBlue/Barclay card, I don't know what to do anymore. I love JetBlue but this is not right. At least the fee isn't going up (as far as I know).
Old Oct 2, 19, 7:07 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sekhmet101 View Post
I'm not sure what's going on here but between the Delta/Amex changes and all the changes with the JetBlue/Barclay card, I don't know what to do anymore. I love JetBlue but this is not right. At least the fee isn't going up (as far as I know).
What happened with the Delta Amex? I have two of those cards (gold and plat) and I was not aware of any major changes.

Off topic, I forgot to dump the plat card this year before the annual fee hit so now I have to fly them before next August

-J.

Last edited by GW McLintock; Oct 7, 19 at 8:55 am
Old Oct 7, 19, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by luv2vacay View Post
I thought it was pretty much all Mastercards that were getting this cut (Citibank included, I think).
But maybe I read the other sites wrong (DoC and TPG)
This is precisely why I started this thread because I wasn't sure if this was a Jetblue change, a Barclays change or a Mastercard change. Based on your post, it sounds like it may be a general Mastercard change which is unfortunate if true. I'd imagine people who value these benefits would just switch to Visa or Amex. Usually these types of benefits come from the association (i.e. Mastercard or Visa) however, the retailer contract (i.e. Jetblue) does have some level of control in terms of which benefits their own card carries.
Old Oct 7, 19, 5:59 pm

AMEX making changes as well.
If you google Amex changes, the third result to Dans deals has a chart of benefit changes.

Originally Posted by RWPrincess View Post
I'd imagine people who value these benefits would just switch to Visa or Amex.
Old Oct 16, 19, 11:24 pm

Programs: AA, DL, HA, WN, UA, B6, KX, Amtrak, HHonors Silver, SPG
Yeah, it's a bummer that they are pulling buyer protection coverage but the travel stuff is the most important thing for me on the JetBlue credit card. Actually had a $4,900 trip cancellation claim on a Chase card a few years ago...and they paid every penny I asked for. Plus I have a Hilton Amex and a Chase Marriott card if I was buying something I needed the mirror warranty coverage for. It's also more palatable if it's a MasterCard thing rather than a Barclays Bank thing.

On the new cellphone coverage I can see a couple of holes. Monthly postpaid phones would be covered but I suspect prepaid on a non-monthly basis is not. Two prepaid sim chips in a rugged dual line phone are Mint/T-Mo on an annual basis and Piranha/JT on an occasional fill basis(in US mostly roams on AT&T). Neither is the required monthly. And a mifi AT&T postpaid account I have is technically a data device rather than a phone.

Just booked 2 B6 vacation trips between now and the end of the year. One to EYW (Orbitz package) and the other to GCM (JetBlue Vacations package). May also book a third trip to someplace warm.

Apparently Barclays noticed because they offered to upgrade my JetBlue to a JetBlue Plus card. Went for it because I'm flying them enough now to make the annual fee worth it. Any thoughts on whether it's likely they will give me a free checked bag on the previously booked flights I haven't flown yet, or will that only be on flights I book going forward once the new card comes in the mail?
Old Today, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by GW McLintock View Post
What happened with the Delta Amex? I have two of those cards (gold and plat) and I was not aware of any major changes.

Off topic, I forgot to dump the plat card this year before the annual fee hit so now I have to fly them before next August

-J.
Sorry I just saw this.
Annual fee went up and they're taking away some benefits. I think an email went out about it.
Old Today, 8:54 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sekhmet101 View Post
Sorry I just saw this.
Annual fee went up and they're taking away some benefits. I think an email went out about it.
Yeah I saw that. I don't know what I will do now... I may drop down to the blue card. I was kind of counting on the paid lounge access from the gold card.

-J.

Search this Thread