Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Leaving Jet Blue

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: Free agent
I misunderstood the situation entirely. I thought you had a battery in the bag, sorry about that.

I think you're due heavier compensation and I agree with RWP that a Mint seat would have been a fair trade. You may have better luck if you push via Twitter than going via the Mosaic line. I'm not sure what fair value would be but if I had to guess I'd assume full comp for the taxi and another $250 or so on top.
BbTrumpet, RWPrincess and damoose like this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 3:44 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Ummm...I'm trying to understand what they did poorly to handle this situation.
They made a mistake, you purchased a ticket on another flight in the only class of service available. They fixed the problem, refunded your points and put you in your original class of service. You got home, although a little further away from where you expected to arrive. Not sure why they thought there was a battery in your bag, but that has nothing to do with you, your status, or how frequently you fly them. They made a mistake and they compensated you $100. If you're willing to leave an airline over that one thing, nobody can stop you. Maybe I would do the same thing...
Remember the grass is not always greener.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United MileagePlus, SW Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by jackvogt
They made a mistake, you purchased a ticket on another flight in the only class of service available. They fixed the problem, refunded your points and put you in your original class of service. You got home, although a little further away from where you expected to arrive. Not sure why they thought there was a battery in your bag, but that has nothing to do with you, your status, or how frequently you fly them. They made a mistake and they compensated you $100. If you're willing to leave an airline over that one thing, nobody can stop you. Maybe I would do the same thing...
Remember the grass is not always greener.

Thanks for your comment.

You are correct, they didn't leave me stranded, and they didn't charge me double. They did the absolute minimum.

Instead of asking myself if this one thing is bad enough to leave an airline, I think my question is why would I stay? If I want to get thrown off a plane for no reason and then kicked in the nuts, I can get that treatment from any airline with zero status. Why should I remain loyal to JetBlue if that loyalty is worthless?

Like I wrote earlier, I can't imagine receiving the same treatment from United, but I could be wrong. I don't know which airline I will pick up as my second option now that JetBlue will be my last choice. Probably Southwest or AA. If some kind of bizarre situation unfolds with one of them, I'll be sure to report if they handle it better, worse, or the same.
amonisis likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 6:22 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Originally Posted by damoose
Thanks for your comment.

You are correct, they didn't leave me stranded, and they didn't charge me double. They did the absolute minimum.

Instead of asking myself if this one thing is bad enough to leave an airline, I think my question is why would I stay? If I want to get thrown off a plane for no reason and then kicked in the nuts, I can get that treatment from any airline with zero status. Why should I remain loyal to JetBlue if that loyalty is worthless?

Like I wrote earlier, I can't imagine receiving the same treatment from United, but I could be wrong. I don't know which airline I will pick up as my second option now that JetBlue will be my last choice. Probably Southwest or AA. If some kind of bizarre situation unfolds with one of them, I'll be sure to report if they handle it better, worse, or the same.
Policy is policy regardless of status. What they did after that wasn't exactly right, but perhaps I don't understand what else they should have done. But the great thing is we all have the option to go ot another airline.
damoose likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Thanks for your comment.

Similar misunderstandings could happen at other airlines. Seems extreme to leave an airline on the basis of one incident (unless you had other issues and this was the final straw). I recommend you read the other airline forums - you will find similar complaints so keep your expectations in check if you decide to switch airlines.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 9:40 pm
Suspended

Op and everyone else, if you happen to have such a bag as the OPs, Id try and figure out a way to have a note on the bag very visible that although this bag may hold a battery in fact there is no battery in it and thusly able to be in the bag hold

Otherwise expect what happened to the OP to happen to you, I wouldnt expect any baggage person to go looking in the bag if in fact there is or isnt a battery there, but will simply assume there is a battery and thusly pull the bag and KO the res
nsx and damoose like this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 5:46 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by jackvogt
This situation is entirely B6's fault and resulted in OP arriving at a different destination than ticketed and with a significant delay. Thus, B6 owes OP transportation from SFO to SJC or compensation for OP's arranged transportation, and should provide additional compensation for the 4-hour delay.

OP's annoyance is certainly justified in this situation. It's pretty disappointing B6 wasn't more proactive here.
Carfield, ijgordon, kalkat and 4 others like this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
If the flight had a 4 hour delay, there'll be auto travel bank credits going out. In that perspective, OP was stiffed. As many mentioned, the $100 covered the cab home.

This is entirely B6's fault and I'd think they need to make it right.
RWPrincess and damoose like this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
For what it's worth, I've had better luck getting compensation via email than by phone (I am also Mosaic). Specifically, I had a flight that was delayed for 7 hours due to a mechanical issue; I eventually gave up and bought a ticket on AA because I needed to get there, but they refused a refund because the flight eventually went. When I contacted them by email they quickly gave me the refund I was looking for...
RWPrincess likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

B6 absolutely should reimubrse OP for the cost of the taxi. That's bare minimum, and worthy of a DOT complaint, potentially followed by a small claims court action, if you're so inclined.

As for the delay, if B6 has standard compensation for airline-caused delays, I would request that; an alternative is to use EC261 as a model -- for BOS-SJC I would consider this a Type 2 flight ("domestic", > 1500 km) which would result in €400 of cash compensation. At least as a starting point.
RWPrincess likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The starting point, e.g. that OP is jumping ship to some other carrier, is ill-advised. This was clearly an error and the other carriers are just as careless and make similarly stupid mistakes which have cascading impacts as B6. Bottom line is that while the next issue over at AA/UA/DL may not be about a non-existent battery, it may be about something else.

If OP tries to make this about consequential damages, he will wind up being shot down whether he makes the complaint to B6 or to DOT. That would be for the taxi and delay. Doesn't exist in the US.

On the other hand, make this about a customer service gesture and turn the OP into a short statement which is no more than three declarative sentences in length and he might see something better. I would simply point to the delay and taxi and understand that there is no entitlement to the funds so it is about winning some low-level customer service person over.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:23 am
Suspended

I know plenty of people who got hit from UA like you did . WhatI I dont get is why not DL? Why UA,AA or WN all of them have their OPs up in the air due to the 737M grounding, only B6 and DL didnt jump in with the 737M, and thusly UA/AA/WN have had to clip their schedules and if a non 737K goes MX there really arent spares sitting around any longer and most days if you check long enough youd find CANCELLED in the flight stats by at least AA and UA

Op you can do as you wish but if you arent moving to DL I wouldnt leave B6 until the 737M is back flying again if making sure you get to your destination is at all important. side ; UA has had its problems with the 787-10 as well
Traveler_boy_25 and damoose like this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Often1
If OP tries to make this about consequential damages, he will wind up being shot down whether he makes the complaint to B6 or to DOT. That would be for the taxi and delay. Doesn't exist in the US.
Don't be ridiculous - the transportation is not a "consequential damage".
Old Jul 24, 2019, 6:42 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Surprised to see so many saying that JetBlue doesn't care about Mosaics. I've never felt that way. The check-in agents are generally helpful (they opened a flight past baggage cutoff so I could check my bags recently), the gate agents are quick to bump you to EMS, and FAs always say thanks for being a mosaic.

With those soft benefits along with free change/cancel, I think it's a great program.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by crimonist
Surprised to see so many saying that JetBlue doesn't care about Mosaics. I've never felt that way. The check-in agents are generally helpful (they opened a flight past baggage cutoff so I could check my bags recently), the gate agents are quick to bump you to EMS, and FAs always say thanks for being a mosaic.

With those soft benefits along with free change/cancel, I think it's a great program.
Agreed. I feel much better taken care of as a Mosaic than I do as AA Platinum or UA Premier Gold (both roughly equivalent if not harder to obtain than Mosaic).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.