Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Preference for Westbound Redeyes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold
Preference for Westbound Redeyes

Was on B6 flight 333 from BOS to SFO (the 9:40 pm one), and it ended up being delayed until 1 a.m. for various reasons. I thought it’d be awful that I’d get no sleep on the ground but the meal service (I flew Mint) was quick and delicious and afterwards I slept the rest of the way for nearly 6 hours until landing. After a cappuccino before landing at 5 a.m., I landed feeling jazzed up and ready to make it through the day.

Anyone else prefer this schedule to the current dreadful 1:30 am scheduled SFO arrival? I bet there’s a market for such a sleep efficient flight in both cabins
Old Apr 11, 2019, 1:56 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Marriott Plat., UA, NZ
I've wondered the same thing, for both directions as well. I travel LAS-BOS frequently, and think I could manage a 9pm departure from LAS to get to the office after landing in the morning, but unfortunately they don't run Mint on the night flight. For Westbound, I'd try it too since I often get home after having slept 3-4 hours on the plane and am then up until 3am...
Old Apr 11, 2019, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by 18wheeler_vanrekt
I bet there’s a market for such a sleep efficient flight in both cabins
All of the major carriers running transcons (and by that I mean East Coast to West Coast flights, not just the historic premium JFK-LAX/SFO) disagree with you. They fly west in the evening and do eastbound redeyes.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 5:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not every carrier is right on every issue, but on the issue of Westbound TCON's their marketing data apparently agrees. That leads me to believe that your personal preference -- not to suggest that they are bad or wrong -- are not in line with the market.

In your case, you had what amounts to a 7-hour flight (01:00 xBOS to 05:00 SFO). That is longer than the ordinary flight. With an 01:00 scheduled departure and a typical arrival of 04:00 or thereabouts at SFO, people have stayed up late the night before and are at SFO too early to do much of anything for several hours. Too early to check-in at a hotel and too early to head for a meeting / office.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by 18wheeler_vanrekt

Anyone else prefer this schedule to the current dreadful 1:30 am scheduled SFO arrival? I bet there’s a market for such a sleep efficient flight in both cabins
FYI for late arrivals into SFO > BART doesn't operate, so you're on your own if your headed to the city.

Use the BART Trip Planner to look up BART departure and arrival times. Sat: 6:30 a.m. to 11:53 p.m. Sun: 8:00 a.m. to 11:53 p.m. Sunday morning, SFO Airport trains from downtown San Francisco start at 8:45 a.m.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:49 am

Yeah, in my opinion part of the *definition* of red-eye is that it's eastbound! Since you "gain" time, you don't usually end up tired. Also, for operational purposes, planes would sit too long if they left at 1 or 2am eastern.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.