JFK check in time?

Old Feb 13, 19, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, SPG
JFK check in time?

For a 730 boarding time to an international departure to the Caribbean, with TSA Pre in hand, is arriving at the airport at 5 AM cutting it close?
Old Feb 13, 19, 9:21 pm
Company Representative - Autoslash

Not at all. In fact, for a flight like that, I'd probably arrive between 5:30-6:00AM and still have time for a cup of coffee and a bagel, but that's just me. Even without TSA Pre, it's more than enough time.
Old Feb 14, 19, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

But when I look at JetBlue’s site, they recommend 3 hrs for int’l departures.

So wait, it’s an 8 am departure and 7:25 boarding. So 5:30 does now sound reasonable.
Old Feb 15, 19, 6:22 am
Company Representative - Autoslash

They tell you 3 hours because they want you to arrive early so there are no problems and security can sometimes get backed up. That said, it never gets backed up so much that anywhere close to 3 hours is necessary. Even 2 hours is generous imho, and with TSA pre, you're going to sail right through.

The other reason is that the airlines make money off whatever you buy in the terminal. The earlier you arrive, the more money they make.
Old Feb 15, 19, 12:46 pm

I have taken multiple flights to Florida on Jetblue around that departure time. For an 8 a.m. departure, I get there around 6:30. I have pre-check and always have plenty of time to get a snack. You can check security wait times by going to www.jfkairport.com and click on "Security Wait Times" If you are worried about it being a flight to the Caribbean, you can get there a little earlier for your own piece of mind.
Old Feb 15, 19, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Appreciate the insight. Aiming for 615 arrival.! Merci beacoup!
Old Oct 13, 19, 5:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Any recent thoughts on connecting times here? Will be arriving 7/1/19 into JFK from an international flight landing @ 6 a.m. Hoping to catch a JB flight to PUJ at 9 a.m. Have GE/TSA Pre, and arriving off J/F flights on CX so hopefully can beat the crowd. Will work on Mosaic status. JB has flights at 745 am (no way) 9 am and noon. Will have been traveling 35+ hours from Asia already, so would rather not do the noon if not needed.

Last edited by sam_goh; Oct 13, 19 at 5:42 pm
Old Oct 13, 19, 6:35 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: DL KM, Bonvoy Gold, RHG Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Silver, Natl EE, Avis PC, Greyhound RR
Originally Posted by sam_goh View Post
Any recent thoughts on connecting times here? Will be arriving 7/1/19 into JFK from an international flight landing @ 6 a.m. Hoping to catch a JB flight to PUJ at 9 a.m. Have GE/TSA Pre, and arriving off J/F flights on CX so hopefully can beat the crowd. Will work on Mosaic status. JB has flights at 745 am (no way) 9 am and noon. Will have been traveling 35+ hours from Asia already, so would rather not do the noon if not needed.
CX arrives into T8 with American Airlines. GE should get you through quickly, and although it's a long walk to the AirTrain, once you get there it's a quick ride over to T5. With PreCheck you'll be through security in no time. I think you'll be okay with the 9am.

Are you on a single ticket (interline) or are you on two separate reservations?

-J.
Old Oct 13, 19, 8:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Originally Posted by GW McLintock View Post
CX arrives into T8 with American Airlines. GE should get you through quickly, and although it's a long walk to the AirTrain, once you get there it's a quick ride over to T5. With PreCheck you'll be through security in no time. I think you'll be okay with the 9am.

Are you on a single ticket (interline) or are you on two separate reservations?

-J.
It would be two separate reservations, Cathay Pacific coming in (collect bags) to JetBlue.
Old Oct 13, 19, 8:24 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: DL KM, Bonvoy Gold, RHG Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Silver, Natl EE, Avis PC, Greyhound RR
Originally Posted by sam_goh View Post
It would be two separate reservations, Cathay Pacific coming in (collect bags) to JetBlue.
JetBlue won't have to do you any favors if you're delayed on CX, but they'll put you standby on the noon if you miss the 9am. It's up to you. I think you'll make it, but you just won't have the extra level of protection.

-J.
sam_goh likes this.

Search this Thread