JetBlue pricing

Old Nov 29, 2018, 9:51 am
Original Poster

JetBlue pricing

Is it generally true or a myth that JetBlue determines its ticket prices based on how many tickets have been sold on a given flight? For example: First 25 seats are sold for $X, next 25 seats for $X+$25; next 25 seats for $X+$50, etc.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum
Anecdotally, Ive run into this issue when trying to book 2 seats on the same flight under two separate PNRs (usually paying cash for my ticket and using points for my husband). If the site says 1 ticket left at this price, I can get the first ticket at $X, and the second ticket is $X+Y (or the points equivalent). If I try to buy two tickets on the same PNR when the site says 1 ticket left at a specific price, itll push me to the higher fare bucket.

That being said, revenue management is a complex and proprietary beast and fares are adjusted as needed and not necessarily in a linear fashion.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The answer to OP's question is "sort of". B6 uses sophisticated software to predict sales based on a lot of datapoints. Thus, it is not a fixed number of seats at a given price. Rather, the RM/IM software is predictive. For example, if a given flight is typically sold to 45% of capacity at 45 days out, it is likely to sell out before the flight. Thus, B6 should stop selling the cheap seats once it hits 45%. On the other hand, if it does this and there is lousy weather predicted for a leisure destination or the stock market crashes and people don't purchase as expected, B6 can open those seats up again at the cheaper price.

This is not markedly different than any carrier.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.