Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

A220s and more A321s in...E190 being phased out

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A220s and more A321s in...E190 being phased out

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2021, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by tphuang
I would agree if you can fly in DL's FC, it will be better than JetBlue's Y.
IMO, the A220 F product is one of Delta's weakest. The seats are very uncomfortable and tight and it's the same seat AA uses on their much maligned Oasis aircraft.

Because of that, an EMS seat on B6 may be a better option.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 10:57 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, AA Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain
Ending up in a middle seat on an A220 would be preferable to getting delayed or stranded over and over because an old E190 picked up yet another maintenance issue on a 40 minute hop from Boston.
I get that the E190's had maintenance issues, but they were replacing those planes regardless--I just wish it was for the E190v2. Also, the point of B6 choosing A220 was that it could fly transcons, so it's not going to be used just for short, 40 minute flights as you mention. And flying transcons on a plane with SpaceFlex sucks, to say nothing about the middle seat.

I don't care about window on bathroom. Why does that matter? less galley space would annoying FA. It doesn't affect passengers.
The bathroom matters because they're planning to eventually use this plane for transcon & possibly even Europe flights. The tiny, SpaceFlex bathrooms really suck for long flights, when you can't avoid using them. Regarding the lack of galley space, it means FAs will have to store even more snacks in the overhead bins, like they already do on the A320v2. It also means they have much less storage for drinks so don't be surprised when you can't get the drink you want on a 6+ hour flight.

It seems that my opinion about the A220 is in the minority here, so I'll end my crusade--especially since the A220s will be put in-service shortly. I'm just surprised that so many FT'ers are ok (some even excited) with so many negative changes as B6 transitions from E190s to brand-new A220s.

Cons
1. Middle seats
2. Reduced legroom (particularity in EMS)
3. SpaceFlex horrible, tiny bathrooms
4. Much smaller galley (more storing of snacks in overhead bins & fewer drink options, esp. for long flights)
5. Longer board/de-plane/checked baggage times, as plane holds 40% more passengers
6. No more padded seats (admittedly personal preference)

Pros
1. Fewer maintenance issues than E190 (hopefully)
2. Has a much longer range
3. Cheaper for JetBlue to operate (only matters if savings is passed along to customers)

Last edited by moulder3; Jan 4, 2021 at 12:45 pm
Old Jan 4, 2021, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by moulder3
I get that the E190's had maintenance issues, but they were replacing those planes regardless--I just wish it was for the E190v2. Also, the point of B6 choosing A220 was that it could fly transcons, so it's not going to be used just for short, 40 minute flights as you mention. And flying transcons on a plane with SpaceFlex sucks, to say nothing about the middle seat.

The bathroom matters because they're planning to eventually use this plane for transcon & possibly even Europe flights. The tiny, SpaceFlex bathrooms really suck for long flights, when you can't avoid using them. Regarding the lack of galley space, it means FAs will have to store even more snacks in the overhead bins, like they already do on the A320v2. It also means they have much less storage for drinks so don't be surprised when you can't get the drink you want on a 6+ hour flight.

It seems that my opinion about the A220 is in the minority here, so I'll end my crusade--especially since the A220s will be put in-service shortly. I'm just surprised that so many FT'ers are ok (some even excited) with so many negative changes as B6 transitions from E190s to brand-new A220s.

Cons
1. Middle seats
2. Reduced legroom (particularity in EMS)
3. SpaceFlex horrible, tiny bathrooms
4. Much smaller galley (more storing of snacks in overhead bins & fewer drink options, esp. for long flights)
5. Longer board/de-plane/checked baggage times, as plane holds 40% more passengers
6. No more padded seats (admittedly personal preference)

Pros
1. Fewer maintenance issues than E190 (hopefully)
2. Has a much longer range
3. Cheaper for JetBlue to operate (only matters if savings is passed along to customers)
The greatest factor in seat comfort is actually seat width. That's the biggest difference between FC seat and Y seat. That's why E90 was comfortable and why A220 will be even more comfortable. I've paid a lot of money in the past to get 19 inch width seat for those international premium economy.

Why don't you fly it a few times and see if you like it? A220 will probably end up replacing a lot of A320s also.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Why is everyone saying it will be less maintenance-intensive than the E190? At Delta so far it is just short of being a hangar queen.

-J.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Why is everyone saying it will be less maintenance-intensive than the E190? At Delta so far it is just short of being a hangar queen.

-J.
That's what JetBlue said in its press release. Of course, a new aircraft entering service probably will have its share of problem. But then again, E90's maintenance problems are well documented.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 9:45 am
Suspended

That's what JetBlue said in its press release. Of course, a new aircraft entering service probably will have its share of problem. But then again, E90's maintenance problems are well documented.
well not for nothing but your on record in plenty of places of believing everything JetBlue says so why should this be any different.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 10:18 am
Suspended

The greatest factor in seat comfort is actually seat width. That's the biggest difference between FC seat and Y seat. That's why E90 was comfortable and why A220 will be even more comfortable. I've paid a lot of money in the past to get 19 inch width seat for those international premium economy.

theres a lot more to overall seat comfort than width. But if width is your thing on the A220, try Deltas F seat. 21 inches.

Last edited by IndustryLeading; Jan 7, 2021 at 10:33 am
Old Jan 7, 2021, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
JetBlue can say that all they want. It still does not negate the fact that the A220 is very maintenance-intensive. Maybe not as much as the E190 (for now) but in a decade from now I wouldn't be surprised if it had a similar reputation.

Should they have gotten the E2? Probably not. It's too bad there's no very-reliable aircraft that fits this niche.

-J.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
JetBlue can say that all they want. It still does not negate the fact that the A220 is very maintenance-intensive. Maybe not as much as the E190 (for now) but in a decade from now I wouldn't be surprised if it had a similar reputation.

Should they have gotten the E2? Probably not. It's too bad there's no very-reliable aircraft that fits this niche.

-J.
Well, the GTF series engine had a lot of problems early on, but are now quite reliable. So that won't be a problem anymore. Aside from the engine, A220 probably will be more maintenance intensive than A320 series, since it's a new aircraft. But over time, it should get a lot more reliable. I have more faith in Airbus than Embraer in getting things right.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Well, the GTF series engine had a lot of problems early on, but are now quite reliable. So that won't be a problem anymore. Aside from the engine, A220 probably will be more maintenance intensive than A320 series, since it's a new aircraft. But over time, it should get a lot more reliable. I have more faith in Airbus than Embraer in getting things right.
I agree except this aircraft is Airbus only in name. Bombardier aircraft are known for being as unreliable (if not more) than Embraer. *shrugs*

-J.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 7:38 am

alright, now the interior is revealed
https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...0112005406/en/
18.6 inch seats
entering service on BOS-FLL in mid-June

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.