Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

What's Your Favorite Mint Seat for a Red Eye?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2018, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

I used to always book the Mint Suites without much thought, but recently on a few Red-Eyes I ended up in 1A and I think it may be my favorite seat for actually sleeping (if you wind up with an empty seat next to you I'd argue it's the best seat in the plane.)

The collapsable armrests (which I didn't know they did) make the bed wide enough to have shoulder room, the legroom isn't constricted like it is in the suites, and it feels even a bit more private from the aisle.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 5:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
The bulkhead doesn't get in the way? I've only flown Mint once, in the suites, and I didn't find them too narow and really liked having the big separation from both the aisle and the window.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hi55us
The bulkhead doesn't get in the way? I've only flown Mint once, in the suites, and I didn't find them too narow and really liked having the big separation from both the aisle and the window.
I feel the cutout in the bulkhead is super generous - I really didn't notice any confines, whereas in the suites I can feel it a bit.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 4:23 pm

Row 1 definitely has the roomiest cutout for your feet.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Silver
I have mixed feelings about doing redeyes in Mint but the time I did it, I had the suite. I'm pretty tall so the foot area was limiting once I was reclined. I do agree that having an empty seat next to you in one of the double rows is best but that's never a guarantee.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 10:33 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
1A does get a lot of galley noise — perhaps less on red-eyes but still noticeable. I'll take the suite.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by RWPrincess
I have mixed feelings about doing redeyes in Mint but the time I did it, I had the suite. I'm pretty tall so the foot area was limiting once I was reclined. I do agree that having an empty seat next to you in one of the double rows is best but that's never a guarantee.

Why the mixed feelings?
Old Jun 29, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP LT PLT, AS 75K, B6 Mosaic, HH D, Hyatt Globalist
Seat selection for Mint is subjective to your preferences and number of travellers (and their travel preferences). Are there one or two of you? Do you like a aisle or window? Do you want to be next to each other or not? If you never get up on a red-eye you might like the window, if you're in the same row. The Mint Suite, overs a combination of window and aisle access. I prefer the Suite, as I can get in/out without having to step over anyone and also look out the window whenever I want. Suites, also offers more space to spreadout, the console near the window is almost always generating heat. So if it gets a bit cold, I can put the pillow on there to warm it up for a bit. Of course if there are two travellers, then you'd have to decide to sit together or take the suites.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by RWPrincess
​​​​​​I wasn't real wild about the fact that the meal is a fixed three selections. When I asked the FA made it very clear that you could take it or leave it, but not have two of something else if you didn't like one of the dishes.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 9:59 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I'd complain. They still cater 16 plates of everything, so they're supposed to be able to double up on the options if you don't want a particular choice. The leftovers become the meals for the flight deck (and unofficially, anything after that becomes the inflight crews' meals, although technically, they're supposed to throw it out since it's "expired."
Old Jul 8, 2018, 5:19 pm

I flew cross country last month in seat 1D with no neighbor. I booked a couple of days before and there was a suite and the first row available. I took the gamble that I wouldn't have a neighbor and that the galley would be quiet overnight. The gamble payed off and I had a great flight (and sleep). My next red eye was on United and I made a similar wager, that row 1 with no neighbor would be better than a middle row. This did not work out as I ended up with a neighbor and a new flight crew that couldn't stay quiet! I've learned my lesson and will aim to be a couple of rows from the galley.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: AE Business Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt,, Priority Pass for AE & RC Chase, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
​​​​​​I wasn't real wild about the fact that the meal is a fixed three selections. When I asked the FA made it very clear that you could take it or leave it, but not have two of something else if you didn't like one of the dishes.
When I requested three of one dish - eggs with cheese and avocado - (because all the others had ingredients I wasn't eating) she said she'd see after taking all the orders if that would be possible. And it was, which was appreciated. She came back to ask if I wanted the avocado on all three, which I said yes, because I imagined a slice or two. Each came with a half of avocado. I didn't realize the crew gets to eat what isn't chosen, so if asked that again, I'll know what to say.

My crew was great but chatty so earplugs and headset were needed for sleep.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 4:43 pm

Have never flown Mint before but have a late evening transcon coming up. I'm traveling by myself, but all the suites are booked. I normally pick window seats, but it seems like the window seat could make getting up to go to the bathroom awkward, especially if the aisle seat occupant is fully reclined. Is that the case? If so, I would definitely book an aisle seat.

Also, would row 1 or row 5 be preferable? Thanks!

Last edited by sltlyamusd; Oct 28, 2018 at 4:55 pm
Old Oct 28, 2018, 4:55 pm

Programs: Free agent
I take the window. The stepover is always a bit annoying however I prefer it to being stepped over by a stranger.

to your other question, I prefer row 5. 1 is a bit close to the galley and I have less chance of a seatmate in 5.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
Have never flown Mint before but have a late evening transcon coming up. I'm traveling by myself, but all the suites are booked. I normally pick window seats, but it seems like the window seat could make getting up to go to the bathroom awkward, especially if the aisle seat occupant is fully reclined. Is that the case? If so, I would definitely book an aisle seat.

Also, would row 1 or row 5 be preferable? Thanks!
Window seat, and I have a strong preference for row 1 over row 5. I’d rather be close to the galley than the bathroom (especially since the mid-cabin bathroom door gets left open a lot), and the footwells in row 1 are extremely roomy. I also found with the bulkhead it’s nice and ‘private.’ I also find with the extra space in the bulkhead stepping over isn’t too bad.

(If you plan on sleeping for much of the flight I think 1F is the best seat on the plane)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.