Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Big spend on JetBlue - which card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2018, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

I am the designated buyer for a group traveling on JetBlue in a few months. I estimate the spend will be about $7,000.
As a crazed collector of credit card and airline points, I'm trying to figure out which card to open to make this purchase.
Some data points to consider:
* I don't have a JetBlue card. That seems the most obvious choice, but is it?
* I already have the CSP, and am maxed on 5/24, so Chase personal cards are out.
* I do have a business, so business cards are an option.
* I have GE and Priority pass through other cards, so those are not compelling benefits.
Probably most important:
* I fly JetBlue occasionally, but not often enough for premium status - maybe I'm better off with a new Amex and Membership Rewards Points? Or a Citi Thank You? I also already have Barclays Arrival Plus.
I am willing/able to put some travelers on one card to max out required spend, and then the balance on another card if there are other benefits to chase.
Would love to hear your opinion with pros and cons.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 2:54 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Since you fly JetBlue occasionally, you would probably do well to open a JetBlue card. It's important to remember that JetBlue points don't expire, so you can use them down the road and not have to worry.

The regular JetBlue card from Barclays has no annual fee, but you only get 10K points as a signup bonus. The JetBlue Plus Card has a $99 fee but you get 40K bonus points after spending $1K in the first 90 days and 6X points vs. 3X for the regular card on JetBlue purchases.

To break it down, your $7K spend costs you $99 for the first year but nets you 40K signup bonus points, plus another 42K points for the $7K spend for a total of 82K points, plus the points you receive for your own personal travel on that trip, so let's call it at least 85K points. Conservatively speaking JetBlue points are worth about 1.5 cents each, so you'd earn roughly the equivalent of $1,275 in travel for the $99 fee if you apply and are approved for the JetBlue Plus card with a $7K credit line.

Hope this helps your decision!

Last edited by AutoSlash; Apr 5, 2018 at 3:48 pm
Old Apr 4, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
The choice for me would be simple -- Jet Blue+ Card or Amex personal platinum. The personal platinum will earn 5x on all airfare with no cap. The JB+ card will earn 6x as previously stated.

Most people will value 5x Membership reward points > 6x points on Jet Blue. I've done this math and value the MRs higher, especially if you sign up for the Schwab platinum and can cash out at 1.25cpp.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Thank you, this is a great analysis. I didn’t think about the non-expiring feature, which does make the JB points a little more attractive.
AutoSlash likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hi55us
The choice for me would be simple -- Jet Blue+ Card or Amex personal platinum. The personal platinum will earn 5x on all airfare with no cap. The JB+ card will earn 6x as previously stated.

Most people will value 5x Membership reward points > 6x points on Jet Blue. I've done this math and value the MRs higher, especially if you sign up for the Schwab platinum and can cash out at 1.25cpp.
I think I agree about MR points vs. JB, but it is only from what I’ve read, not experienced. All of my Amex cards until now have been branded (Delta, SPG, Hilton). I will check out the Schwab card.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob/UA Gold
Originally Posted by MNinDC
I think I agree about MR points vs. JB, but it is only from what I’ve read, not experienced. All of my Amex cards until now have been branded (Delta, SPG, Hilton). I will check out the Schwab card.
If you are purchasing trip insurance for this group, the amex platinum might be a good choice. But it's trip interruption coverage is not very good, which is probably important for a group trip: https://millionmilesecrets.com/2017/...tion-benefits/

I use my JB+ card for B6 flights because I value the points as a Mosaic with BOS as my home airport. But if I'm not flying B6 I use my Prestige. I've purchased 3 flights with my amex platinum and one was delayed 4 hours and the other was cancelled, so it wasn't really worth the 5x in the end.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
5X points is nice but unless you can get the 100K MR points signup bonus it may not be worth it for the annual fee or if the points will be orphans.

The Chase Business Ink card with the $95 annual fee, 80k UR point signup & 3x points on travel is appealing.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

What is B6?
Old Apr 6, 2018, 7:14 pm

Programs: Delta, American, JetBlue
B6 = JetBlue

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.