Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK Meltdown

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2018, 3:38 am
Original Poster

JFK Meltdown

Is JetBlue having a meltdown at JFK. Our flight scheduled for a 11:59 departure to BGI. Before leaving for the airport, I called and was told that the flight was onetime even though the aircraft was coming from JAX and was not due in till 3:44 am. Agent said my info was incorrect. I arrived and checkin agent said flight was onetime. At 11:02 pm I received an email that my flight was delayed to 4:22 am. Its 5:37 am and our crew still isn't here.

I understand that JFK is catching up due to the recent weather events but Jetblue needs to have more updated information on their flights. Totally unacceptable.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 5:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Delays in recovering from the storm? Sure. Meltdown? Absolutely not.

Potential for aircraft swaps and crew swaps at the hubs are always a challenge when dealing with delays and pushing information out.

OP's flight ended up 7 hours late, off the ground at 6:30a, so the crew must've shown up shortly after the post here.
AutoSlash likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: DL, UA, SPG, HH
If anything there's a JFK meltdown. It's all over the local news of pax being stuck on the tarmac for hours waiting for gates, tons and tons of unclaimed luggage, raging pax throwing punches, etc. Brought on by all the diverted flights coming in along with the regularly scheduled service. In all likelihood, OP's inbound was delayed from the ATC/Port limiting inbound traffic for a period to try to alleviate the JFK meltdown.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by coloneltigh
In all likelihood, OP's inbound was delayed from the ATC/Port limiting inbound traffic for a period to try to alleviate the JFK meltdown.
That NOTAM only applied to T1/T4/T7, not T5.

The trip was operated by N592JB. That aircraft flew JFK-SEA on Friday with the return cxld. The return was a ferry flight Saturday, arriving at JFK around 10:50p. https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n592jb

The plane did not come in from JAX and the scheduled arrival time would likely be why the airport and res staff said the flight was on-time. Maybe that was a tail swap or something else but I see no record of another aircraft being assigned to the route. Also, BGI is a 321 route and JAX is a 320 route so not sure how that would work. FWIW, the late JAX-JFK (B6 478) did cancel on Saturday night after a few hours of rolling delay.

At 11:02p EST on Saturday night they knew it would be delayed until around 4:15am. That's when the OP got the email alert. Prior to that the company had nothing filed suggesting a delay. It was a crew issue and I don't know if this was a JFK-originating crew or supposed to connect in from elsewhere.

At 1a EST the 5:45a departure was known. I don't know if JetBlue's systems didn't propagate the alerts or what. But it was known.

https://www.flightstats.com/v2/fligh.../1/6/945491372

ETA: the data in those links will expire after a couple days but I promise that's what it said on Sunday afternoon when I looked.

Last edited by sbm12; Jan 7, 2018 at 10:45 am
Old Jan 7, 2018, 1:03 pm

I don't know if they are having a meltdown. It seems like the entire airport is having a meltdown based on what I'm watching on the news. It seems like they are just having trouble recovering like everyone else is. And they run a tighter/leaner schedule than most airlines. Many cancellations due to pilot fatigue, which means they can't get enough pilots to work overtime to recover all the canceled flights. No easy solution after a big storm like this.

Be thankful you didn't get stuck waiting hours for your luggage like in T4.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:56 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Can't blame JB: https://in.reuters.com/article/new-y...-idINKBN1EX051
Old Jan 8, 2018, 6:28 am

The water main break had minimal, if any, impact on B6 operations.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 6:43 am

And one of the 31's was not available so they were only using one runway yesterday.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: Hertz Five Star, Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, National Executive, Alaksa MVP
At first I thought that it was a JetBlue issue.. but the more I read it seems that it is a PANYNJ issue. Since the first forecast of the storm, Queens (JFK) was always going to get hit hard. Yet it seems that they didn't slow things down until it was way too late. Since the PANYNJ didn't slow things down the airlines followed suit. Everyone went down the rabbit hole.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:13 am

Historically JFK can stay ahead of snow but in this case, it was more wind then actual snow "fall". The wind off of the bay kept blowing the removed snow back on I believe. The also kept changing the reopening time so planes left their origin under the assumption that the airport would be open upon arrival and it wasn't. Yes the Port Authority screwed up but this storm was unusual, different from the norm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.