Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Connection at JFK on a separate ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2017, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Not sure where to post this, but will try JetBlue forum.

I am arriving at JFK on TAP 209 from LIS. The official arrival time is 8pm, though history shows this flight arriving anywhere from 7:30pm to 8:30pm (and even after 10pm once).

I am looking at booking a connection on JetBlue from JFK to IAD, at 10:20pm. That means official connection time is 2hr 20 min.

Anyone can comment whether this is a "doable" connection (I have not been to JFK in years)?

Assuming TAP would accept bags to be interlined (which still means they need to come out at JFK, but at least then I can drop them right there at the bag drop rather than lugging to another terminal) - would chances of making this connection look any better?

Finally, if we miss it - what's JetBlue policy on tickets like these? Can the value be salvaged in any way?

Edit: looks like JetBlue and TAP use the same terminal 5, that should make it easier, shouldn't it?
Old Aug 9, 2017, 12:33 pm

It's generally doable. I'd feel better about it with Global Entry, particularly if you arrive late or if immigration is really busy. You'll have to claim your luggage, check it with JetBlue and reclear security, but at least it's all in T5.

If you miss it, it's pretty much up to the agent to help you. Technically they can just tell you that you have to buy a new ticket.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

I have GE but will travel with my kids who do not, so that won't help this time.

Is T5 busy around 8pm?

Will definitely try to get bags "checked through" to avoid a trip to the check in counter.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
To clarify, you will NOT have a connection. As far as each airline is concerned you have 1 flight on each.
You may get lucky at LIS/OPO and get your bags through checked but I wouldn't expect this as they're under no obligation to do so.
The upside is that yes both use Terminal 5 so your family will not have to transfer terminals. You'll do immigration, collect bags, clear customs and then proceed upstairs to check your bags in with B6. At that time of day the amount of international flights coming in should be minimal. Most land between 5pm and 8 pm but should be mostly cleared when your plane arrives.
If the plane is late you could clear using GE and collect the bags yourself to check them in with B6 while your family clears immigration. I wouldn't try this with 5 bags as you'll end up paying lots of fees for luggage with B6 but if it's 3 bags and you're running late it may be worth doing.
B6 tickets come with different rules on change fees and cancellations so be sure to look at which level you're buying.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 6:28 pm

I checked out of curiosity - I'm showing that TP has an interline agreement with B6, but when I look up the reverse, B6 doesn't show TP. It may be possible for them to through-check your bags, but I'm really not sure. It's by no means a guarantee, though. The system still has to allow it and the agent has to be willing to do it.

I don't have any direct experience with T5 immigration/security at that time, so I won't speculate.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:01 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
T5i is very straightforward and streamlined for immigration and customs. I don't know about the wait though, as I have Global Entry and have never had to wait.

If you are able to get the bags checked all the way through to IAD by TAP, you just drop them off at the bag recheck area to the left just before you exit into the ticketing area of the terminal. There will be JetBlue personnel there that will scan your bag tags and put them on a belt, so you don't have to go to a counter to recheck.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Tap sells plenty of tickets with JetBlue as a domestic leg in the US, so they certainly check bags through to JetBlue on one ticket.

Will try to put my *G "priority check in" to good use - hopefully "premium" check in agents at Tap would be more willing to interline bags.

Unfortunately it's just me and kids - and they are not old enough to clear immigration alone, so we'll have to all wait in line.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Well, "priority" did not help with TAP (in fact, my 2 flights with TAP are some of the worst in recent memory, United service seems decent by comparison)

In any case - two questions:
1. Can JetBlue print bag tags at the bag drop off after the customs? Or do I need to go up to the actual check in counter to get bag tags?

2. Even though I paid for checked bags, my boarding passes do not seem to reflect that (all I see is "this fare includes 0 bags" note below in each bp). Should there be anything given to me by JetBlue that shows I paid for the checked bags?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 12:29 pm

1. I don't think so.

2. If you have a Blue fare but have paid for bags in advance, it should show up on your reservation, but not your BP. You shouldn't have any problems.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Because you do not have a connection, but are simply transferring between separate tickets, you have no protection should your inbound be delayed, should you get stuck in CBP or anything else go wrong. You will simply have no showed for your B6 flight.

You can't plan on having your bags checked across tickets and do have to plan on lugging your bags from CBP to B6 check-in, waiting in line and then heading through the checkpoint. The deadline for checking your bags is T-40, thus 9:40 PM.

I would be uncomfortable with that transfer time with kids + checked bags, but this is simply a risk tolerance issue not a question of whether it can possibly be done.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

- We arrived on time at 7:30, were out of customs within less than 30 minutes, and by 8:30 at the gate for the JetBlue flight.

- There is no dedicated bag drop for JetBlue after customs at terminal 5. In that sense checking bags through would have been pointless as they have to be taken one floor up to the general bag drop anyway (it may have saved the 2-3 minutes it takes to print out bag tags at the self service machine)

- Thanks to all flyertalkers who helped by answering my questions. To the rest, who chose to lecture - I hope it makes you feel better
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by br2k
- There is no dedicated bag drop for JetBlue after customs at terminal 5. In that sense checking bags through would have been pointless as they have to be taken one floor up to the general bag drop anyway (it may have saved the 2-3 minutes it takes to print out bag tags at the self service machine)
It's there! Trust me! It's easy to miss though, as it's down a short hallway with only one sign, so it's easy to miss! The sign says "Bag Recheck" or something like that.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by diburning
It's there! Trust me! It's easy to miss though, as it's down a short hallway with only one sign, so it's easy to miss! The sign says "Bag Recheck" or something like that.
Interesting, thanks! As we had plenty of time - I spent a few minutes looking for it but could not find it.

In any case, given how close the actual JetBlue bag drop is to the customs exit, it's a bit of a moot point.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 3:30 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
I can confirm that there is a baggage recheck desk once you leave the customs area.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
the kids can get GE. Three of our grandchildren have it, youngest was 6 when obtained.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...ldren%2Fminors

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.