Community
Wiki Posts
Search

E190 vs. Airbus?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Question E190 vs. Airbus?

Due to a move out of the NY area, my new homebase airport will more than likely be DCA...which flies more E190s than I'd like to see-particularly going down to FLL (matter of fact, that's all they fly down there from DCA). My issue is my claustrophobia...I've gotten comfortable with the A320 or A321 as long as I'm in 1A (extreme yes, but it works wonders). From your experience, do you think I should avoid the E190 altogether? If need be, I'll travel out of BWI just to avoid it but I don't want to commit to those extreme measures just yet

Also, I know B6 is thinking about doing away with the E190 completely but that announcement isn't coming until at least the end of this year and I'm traveling before that.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I am a fan of the ERJ-170/175/190/195 series. The fuselage is rather large in diameter and seem like a more generously spaced 737. 2z2 seating is a big factor to me. It is of course smaller which can affect those with claustrophobia. I am 6' tall and broad and feel rather comfortable on them. Definitely when compared to the CRJ-700/900 series for the diameter and the way the overhead bins are situated in the cabin.

You say you're comfortable in seat 1A on an A320/321, is it the window the makes you feel more comfortable? On an 3x3 plane I like the window to see out but in 2x2 I prefer the aisle as it feels more specious but I'm not that claustrophobic.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: DL Plat, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by TravelGal2779
Due to a move out of the NY area, my new homebase airport will more than likely be DCA...which flies more E190s than I'd like to see-particularly going down to FLL (matter of fact, that's all they fly down there from DCA). My issue is my claustrophobia...I've gotten comfortable with the A320 or A321 as long as I'm in 1A (extreme yes, but it works wonders). From your experience, do you think I should avoid the E190 altogether? If need be, I'll travel out of BWI just to avoid it but I don't want to commit to those extreme measures just yet

Also, I know B6 is thinking about doing away with the E190 completely but that announcement isn't coming until at least the end of this year and I'm traveling before that.
I actually prefer the E190 to the 320 and find it to be a comfortable and spacious ride, but I don't suffer from any form of claustrophobia, and I don't really think it's a question that anyone can answer for you, it more comes down to whether or not you feel comfortable enough to fly on the aircraft.

There are some YouTube videos of cabin walkthroughs that you can watch and maybe get a sense for which seats would work best for you?

CK
Old Aug 8, 2017, 1:02 pm

I prefer the E190 as well. It's got quite a big plane feel for such a small plane. Lots of leg room, comfy seats, and quick boarding/deboarding. No need to avoid it.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by Seth Moore
I prefer the E190 as well. It's got quite a big plane feel for such a small plane. Lots of leg room, comfy seats, and quick boarding/deboarding. No need to avoid it.
What about the overhead on a E190 ? Large enough to handle a bag that an A320 overhead rack would take ?
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
I am a fan of the ERJ-170/175/190/195 series. The fuselage is rather large in diameter and seem like a more generously spaced 737. 2z2 seating is a big factor to me. It is of course smaller which can affect those with claustrophobia. I am 6' tall and broad and feel rather comfortable on them. Definitely when compared to the CRJ-700/900 series for the diameter and the way the overhead bins are situated in the cabin.

You say you're comfortable in seat 1A on an A320/321, is it the window the makes you feel more comfortable? On an 3x3 plane I like the window to see out but in 2x2 I prefer the aisle as it feels more specious but I'm not that claustrophobic.
Yes, the window helps a lot and being able to see the jetway on arrival and know what's happening on that side helps me through the biggest issue-which is really waiting to get off the plane after we land.

Funny you say the aisle feels more spacious. In alot of material I've read regarding claustrophobia while flying, they recommend the aisle. But the aisle gives me more anxiety because it feels more crowded, especially as people are moving up and down.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 7:30 pm

I find B6 E90s to be most comfortable Y experience domestically, more than the B6 A320s or the VX A320s and definitely a mile ahead of B738s.

I've found E90s to be more comfortable than CRJs
Old Aug 9, 2017, 5:56 am

Programs: B6, Amtrak, DL, AA, Marriott, Hilton
The seats are also a little bit wider, and with no middle, I think you'll find that once you're seated it actually feels like you have more personal space, whether in the window or aisle seat. At least that's how I perceive it, though I've been on much smaller aircraft without feeling claustrophobic.

Given the choice of doing a 3 hour flight in a 190 versus a 320, I'd take the 190 any day. I actually like the fact that they're most of what I fly with B6 (mostly northeast hops out of BOS).
Old Aug 9, 2017, 6:54 am

Programs: Trueblue, Skymiles, AAdvantage
I like the 190 more than the 320 simply because of capacity of 100 vs 150. Boarding and de-planing are quicker and 2x2 seating works well. I'm torn on B6 possibly phasing them out in the coming years.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:13 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Me too, especially when considering the alternatives. Hopefully it's just a tactic to get some really good pricing out of Embraer.
An entirely A320 family fleet might be operationally great but could lead to reductions in service to many airports and the CS series is still in its infancy with problems being figured out like what happened with the ERJ-190s with B6.

Originally Posted by Brigri
I like the 190 more than the 320 simply because of capacity of 100 vs 150. Boarding and de-planing are quicker and 2x2 seating works well. I'm torn on B6 possibly phasing them out in the coming years.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 9:33 am

E90s don't feel like your stereotypical regional jet. It feels like a big plane. The seats are ~18" wide, making them at least as wide as the A320, and wider than a 737 or CRJ (which are about 17" wide). Seating is 2-2, so you don't feel so trapped as 3-3, and with Jetblue's legroom, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Generally speaking, I prefer the E70/75/90 to any other domestic coach product, and of those, JetBlue's is one of the best because of how much legroom they offer.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all, this is helpful to know it's not a cramped space or a very small plane. I've been watching walk-through videos on youtube, so we'll see. Probably going to book this in September.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:42 am

Programs: B6, AA, AS
Just sailed on this vessel. DCA - JAX - DCA.

Thought I would share our experience.

I thought of this thread boarding.
And others related to the windows on the E190.

I studied the seats and window relationships while walking to 22A.
Also debarking. Same when boarding again. And when deplaning for the final time.

To me, it appeared all seats forward of the wing exit row/ EMS were offset. Not aligned.
IOW, the windows were about one foot to 19 inches forward of the seat back, at least.
You would have to lean very forward to see out, be very tall, or look out behind you, using the window behind you.

Yes, you heard that right.
All seats forward of the over-wing exit seemed to have a misaligned window/seat.

If you want an aligned window book aft of row 17, IMO.

We had perfectly aligned windows in rows 21 and 22 down. Same back to DCA in 22 and 23.

HTH.

BTW; We love this plane. 2 X 2 seating, 18" minimum seat width, awesome crews, great snacks, real padded seats, quick embark and debark, large windows for a non Dreamliner. Perfect window height too, great headroom for a 2x2 jet. etc, etc.

Of course, the B6 crew helps make the E190 even more special.

This plane rocks.

We are so pleased that this aircraft sails between DCA and FL on many routes.
We are so spoiled. And we know it.
Rock on B6.

We will be devastated when this craft leaves the fleet.
We can only hope the E2 will take over.

We too always try to book this craft when available, as many have mentioned.

May all travelers, be blessed with a B6 E190.

Last edited by DrewBr; Aug 11, 2017 at 3:02 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.