Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Long Beach Rejects LGB Customs Facility Proposal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long Beach Rejects LGB Customs Facility Proposal

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2017, 10:15 pm

In my dream world, B6 moves their west coast hub operation from LGB to SMF. Also in this dreamworld, the San Fran to LA high speed train actually gets built and isn't a complete waste of money.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 5:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by bbtrvl
Of course, far is relative, especially in Southern California. If you're going to the OC then SNA is perfect. But if your business is in LA proper, such as on the west side, beach cities/Inglewood, or downtown, then SNA or ONT is 15-20 miles further away. Even LGB is a stretch when LAX is so close.

At some point the convenience & comfort factor tilts back to LAX, which is unfortunate as LAX is neither.

I admit, it totally depends on where you are and how far you're willing to drive. Since we're talking Mexico, I know plenty of people who will drive all the way to TIJ to fly Volaris domestic.
I'm going to a meeting this week that is 5 minutes from SNA. The hotel even has an airport shuttle. I'm still flying to LGB because it's nonstop and easy. SoCal seems to be one of the few areas in the country that's spoiled by having so many viable airports in a 60 mile radius. Go anywhere else in the country and people will drive 1, 2, 3 hours to catch a flight without issue. Yet in SoCal it's either "too far" or "too much traffic". This is what I hear from local friends anyhow.

I'm disappointed in the Long Beach City Council as well for giving in to this anti-airport group. JetBlue seems to historically have been a good partner for the airport and the community.

I do hope they find a way to keep LGB up and running. I know they do have flights to JFK and BOS several times a day depending on time of year. I think FLL too and probably ATL soon. I wish they would bring back ORD. So it's not entirely West Coast flights. Let's also remember it's a large crew base too so many of these crew members live in the area so that has to be a consideration in any decision as well.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 7:38 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Agree with the above, but BOS is 1/day and not even 7 days/week anymore.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
Sure, I've flown through each of these, but still maintain that LGB has the best and simplest passenger experience. Depending on where your gate is you can have quite a walk at SNA, and BUR needs an update. I'm also a sucker for boarding plans without a jet bridge, and while you do the same at BUR, you don't get the same fantastic views of the ramp that you do at LGB.
i do not know what "quite a walk" is at SNA. you can walk the entire length of the terminal in about 10 minutes. with 3 security checkpoints, you should not have more than a 5 minute walk.

LGB is crazy convenient, but i would say given your location, the other small airports are equally as convenient.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:32 pm

Oh I wish the B6/VX tie up would have happened (and thumb their noses at LGB a general aviation airport and make the NIMBYs fight through the 405 traffic to LAX/SNA to catch a flight).
Old Feb 15, 2017, 9:47 pm

Programs: GE
What future is there for JetBlue at LAX? Do Delta's ultimate plans for T3 even include JetBlue at all?
Old Feb 16, 2017, 6:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bbtrvl
What future is there for JetBlue at LAX? Do Delta's ultimate plans for T3 even include JetBlue at all?
JetBlue is moving to T5 at the end of May as part of the shuffle at LAX. I do not think there is sufficient space for B6 to grow into a hub operation at LAX.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
JetBlue is moving to T5 at the end of May as part of the shuffle at LAX. I do not think there is sufficient space for B6 to grow into a hub operation at LAX.
Great. Was expecting to use Priority Pass to access the lounge in T-3 for a flight in October. Will have to see if there is anything to access in T-5.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 12:29 am

A quote from the linked article in the first post: "You can be sure Ontario started calling JetBlue about 5 minutes after the vote was done, but there aren't any perfect options for JetBlue in Southern California right now."

I'm sure that the management of newly autonomous ONT will certainly be contacting JetBlue. While the geography of ONT might not be perfect, the surrounding community actually wants ONT to succeed.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 2:51 am

Programs: GE
Doesn't JetBlue have like 100 jets on order? Even when they open Europe/Mexico routes, assuming they actually buy that many, they are going to need a lot of capacity everywhere. They may need to expand to ONT/SNA but I don't see them pulling out of anywhere either.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA1K
the problem with SNA is i do not believe the a320 can make it to JFK/BOS with the short runway. but i would love for them to expand into SNA.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: Free agent
ONT has some giant runways too. Longer than LAX iirc.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by wetsand
Great. Was expecting to use Priority Pass to access the lounge in T-3 for a flight in October. Will have to see if there is anything to access in T-5.
Alaska lounge, if the move to T5 is true.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 3:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by hiima
if the move to T5 is true.
Information given to me by a company insider well senior enough to know for sure. I do not doubt it one bit.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by sbm12
Information given to me by a company insider well senior enough to know for sure. I do not doubt it one bit.
Then, T6 through the tunnel has Alaska lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.