Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

SQ to B6 Transfer at JFK (Luggage Questions)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2016, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver

Flying SQ to JFK (T4) and then connecting to B6 (T5) on separate tickets.

We will be checking bags. I am assuming I can have SQ tag all the way to our final destination given the close nature of the SQ/B6 relationship. However I guess that's up to the agent in HKG. Assuming yes, questions:
  1. Will I need to collect our bags at T4 for customs? (Usually yes, but I had seem some reports that this may not be necessary...)
  2. Will there be a bag drop at T4 or do we need to take them to T5?
  3. Since they will be checked through, do we need to pay the B6 bag fee?

Any help appreciated!

Last edited by anc-ord772; Dec 26, 2016 at 9:29 pm
Old Dec 27, 2016, 5:49 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
All flights from HKG to the US require that you claims bags and clear customs and immigration at your first point of entry. There should be a bag drop after exiting customs in Terminal 4. If your bags are checked through there is no need to pay baggage fees for the connection.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 7:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Presumably flight is HKG-SIN-FRA-JFK-???. Still, you will be required to collect the bags and take them over to T5 to drop them back with JetBlue. Even if there is a JetBlue sign at the T4 recheck area I'd still take them over to T5 myself.

If you can get the SQ agent to tag them through then no fees. But I'm mildly skeptical of your chances there.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
All flights from HKG to the US require that you claims bags and clear customs and immigration at your first point of entry. There should be a bag drop after exiting customs in Terminal 4. If your bags are checked through there is no need to pay baggage fees for the connection.
Originally Posted by sbm12
Presumably flight is HKG-SIN-FRA-JFK-???. Still, you will be required to collect the bags and take them over to T5 to drop them back with JetBlue. Even if there is a JetBlue sign at the T4 recheck area I'd still take them over to T5 myself.

If you can get the SQ agent to tag them through then no fees. But I'm mildly skeptical of your chances there.

Thank you.

We are flying SQ Suites HKG-SIN-FRA-JFK. Unfortunately we only have 1H 45M connection so I'm trying to look for efficiencies where I can. Both travelers have GE, and are experienced travelers, but if I can drop a bag at T4 that would help.

sbm12 why are you skeptical of the T4 bag drop? If they are tagged through from HKG, but we drop them off at T5 there should still be no fees yes?
Old Dec 27, 2016, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by anc-ord772
but if I can drop a bag at T4 that would help.
Not much, and with a 1:45 connection I wouldn't trust the bag to make it over to the new flight on time.

sbm12 why are you skeptical of the T4 bag drop?
Because interline transfers is a black hole when it comes to baggage handling. It is inviting problems IMO compared to taking the bags with you to the JetBlue terminal and dropping them off where you know the carrier has them.

If they are tagged through from HKG, but we drop them off at T5 there should still be no fees yes?
Probably.

Also, the 1:45 connection is below the MCT for SQ->B6 at JFK. That will likely prevent SQ from being able to check it through as they probably won't be able to faux-sell the extra segment into the original PNR to make the tagging work. So I've even more skeptical.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
Not much, and with a 1:45 connection I wouldn't trust the bag to make it over to the new flight on time.

Because interline transfers is a black hole when it comes to baggage handling. It is inviting problems IMO compared to taking the bags with you to the JetBlue terminal and dropping them off where you know the carrier has them.

Probably.

Also, the 1:45 connection is below the MCT for SQ->B6 at JFK. That will likely prevent SQ from being able to check it through as they probably won't be able to faux-sell the extra segment into the original PNR to make the tagging work. So I've even more skeptical.
Much appreciated.

The agent was able to check the bag to the final destination, including the B6 segment. It took her a while and she had to work for it, but she was willing.

Based on your feedback we will take the bags to T5.

I'll report back with the outcome.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Bags made it to their final destination.

Grabbed bags at T4 and dropped them off at the bag drop at T5. No additional fee collected. Thanks to an early arrival, and even with some time consuming security shenanigans, we were at the gate about 20-25 minutes before boarding.

Even though it worked out, I would suggest a 2 hour minimum connection.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 7:56 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Was this all one ticket? As sbm12 mentioned (and according to EF), MCT from SQ to B6 is 2 hours.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 9:19 am

Bags made it to their final destination.
^^
Old Dec 30, 2016, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seawolf
Was this all one ticket? As sbm12 mentioned (and according to EF), MCT from SQ to B6 is 2 hours.
As mentioned in the first line of the original post, Flying SQ to JFK (T4) and then connecting to B6 (T5) on separate tickets.

Minimum connection time should be 2 hours. In our case it worked out fine, but if things go south, or if an inexperienced traveler, the time goes quickly.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 8:34 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Oops. missed that.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 2:28 am
Suspended

Going to hijack this thread with a related question. Flying B6 from LAX-JFK and then have a flight on Emirates to DXB (3 hour connection time). Separate tickets.

Anything I can do to get my bags over to Emirates right away? Just thinking of worse case scenarioin in case my flight is delayed.

Last edited by Jeffmiyagi; Jan 1, 2017 at 2:48 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.