Search

Security wait times at MCO

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2016, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Security wait times at MCO

Hi JetBlue travelers,

I'm a DL guy. Always wanted to try JetBlue and finally am getting a chance as I'm taking the family to MCO for an extended weekend. Fare difference was enough to warrant being a kettle for a personal trip.

I just got an email stating to arrive two hours prior to our flight out of MCO (6:35p on 7/18) due to TSA capacity. With the family in tow I was planning on doing this anyway because it's July and Orlando. Are the security lines at MCO really that bad?
Old Jul 12, 2016, 7:47 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Just got this same email regarding a flight departing BOS on Friday -- seems like a blanket thing, but hopefully others can confirm.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 7:57 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Like most airports, MCO sometimes has long TSA lines. Most of the time it isn't too bad. More often than not, I'm through in 10 minutes, sometimes more like 15, but occasionally the lines are really bad. I typically aim for getting to the airport 1 hour 15 minutes before my flights, often it ends up being closer to 60 minutes, and have never missed a flight.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 10:33 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, AA Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by dtremit
Just got this same email regarding a flight departing BOS on Friday -- seems like a blanket thing, but hopefully others can confirm.
Yes, I believe JetBlue is auto-sending these TSA emails to passengers flying through certain airports that only have one huge security checkpoint (BOS, MCO, JFK, IAD) to get to JetBlue gates. From my experience, it's true that the larger checkpoints almost exclusively seem to be the problem, as absurd as that is.

At DCA (where they have multiple, smaller security checkpoints for terminals B & C) TSA seems to ensure the line is never longer than ~30 minutes. However in BOS, where there's only one massive (cattle-herd) checkpoint for JetBlue gates, there are often only 3 lanes open (out of 8 or 10) and the lines can quickly back-up into being a 75+ minute wait.

Last edited by moulder3; Jul 12, 2016 at 12:10 pm
Old Jul 12, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: TrueBlue, Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by moulder3
Yes, I believe JetBlue is auto-sending these TSA emails to passengers flying through certain airports that only have one huge security checkpoint (BOS, MCO, JFK, IAD) to get to JetBlue gates. From my experience, it's true that the larger checkpoints almost exclusively seem to be the problem, as absurd as that is.

At DCA (where they have multiple, smaller security checkpoints for terminals B & C) TSA seems to ensure the line is never longer than ~30 minutes. However in BOS, where there's only one massive (cattle-herd) checkpoint for JetBlue gates, there are often only 3 lanes open (out of 8 or 10) and the lines can quickly back-up into being a 75+ minute wait.
IAD has multiple checkpoints you can use to get to the B gates
Old Jul 13, 2016, 9:23 am

Programs: DL Plat, B6 Mosaic
FWIW, I got the same email for my flight last week out of FLL. I have Pre-Check and only took a few minutes to get through security, but the standard line didn't appear to be any busier than usual.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Thanks all. Normally I wouldn't think twice about it but Mrs. tvtd and the two little tvtds will be with me. I never assume PreCheck for them, just didn't want to get stuck in a long line with no time.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:21 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Do Delta and JetBlue have different TSA lines?

How crazy would it be to enter the airport at 7:50 am for a 9:20am DL flight (to MSP)?
Thanks.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by jerry305
Do Delta and JetBlue have different TSA lines?

How crazy would it be to enter the airport at 7:50 am for a 9:20am DL flight (to MSP)?
Thanks.
Delta is the other side of the airport, different security.

Generally the lines aren't too bad B6 side, but it really depends on when you're flying. It's been a while since I've flown out in the evening but last time there was about 3 people in front of me for Pre-check and normal security looked like a 10 minute wait.

MCO security is usually pretty good, CBP is also very quick compared to most other US airports in my experience.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HH Silver
I usually fly out of MCO Sunday evenings. Long TSA lines, and mostly families heading home. But certainly not anywhere near 2 hours! I'd say 30 minutes would be a long wait. I did Sunday after Thanksgiving weekend last year MCO-BOS and it was pretty bad, but that's one of the biggest travel days of the year. Even then the line was backed up way into the terminal and I'd guess it was less than an hour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.