Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should JetBlue now buy AS?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2016, 2:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Once AS finishes digesting HA, B6 could be next
Old Apr 9, 2016, 11:22 am

Programs: Nada of note these days….
Originally Posted by beckoa
Once AS finishes digesting HA, B6 could be next
Those new E175s would look pretty nice bopping around the Islands!.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 8:43 am

AS and B6 would make great marketing partners - you'd have strong east and west coverage. As a single airline, they'd have all of the problems of a legacy.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 3:32 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
I think B6 should certainly acquire AS. B6 and VX already have a few things in common.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
I think B6 should certainly acquire AS. B6 and VX already have a few things in common.
You throwing in some cash? AS's market cap is ~33% higher than B6 with less debt on the books. Even if you could find the leverage to do it, it'd probably have to be a massive overpay or a hostile buy because AS otherwise has a lot of shareholders that will vote no absent a massive premium.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Won't happen... at least in the short/medium term. B6 doesn't have enough cash and their strategies don't align.

Personally, I don't want this to happen right now. I like AS (especially like what they can become with VX) and I like B6, but I do not know if I want them together.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 10:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by DA201
Personally, I don't want this to happen right now. I like AS (especially like what they can become with VX) and I like B6, but I do not know if I want them together.
Well if B6 and ASvx were to join forces... they'd be a national carrier of sorts
Old Apr 20, 2016, 12:36 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
That would be great! Alaska service is not any better than United or Delta so it would be great to see a nice airline like JetBlue take over Alaksa and improve their comfort and derive standards. Alaska has a long way to go to match VX. SFO travelers like premium services offered by airlines like VX!
Old Apr 20, 2016, 5:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

AS doesn't want to match VX.

And there is simply no way B6 is going to buy AS. It isn't viable at any level. It probably wasn't even before the AS/VX deal, either.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 10:21 am

Programs: TrueBlue/Hawaiian Miles
Originally Posted by Snowdevil
Maybe AS will buy B6 instead once they're done digesting VX?
God I hope not... I heard from a few different B6 employees that Mr. Hayes went after it but stopped because he knew AS was overpaying. B6 and VX would've been a dream for pax! Now I worry about AS ruining the VX service/brand but I suppose it's all up in the air (pun intended)
Old Apr 25, 2016, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by NYCRuss
B6 will be America's last remaining 4-star airline. I hope that they remain independent.

If AS ups its game from 3-star territory, I might feel differently.
Case in point... AS 737 "first class" seats are 36" pitch. Sure the drinks are free and there's food, but you get more pitch/legroom in EMS with B6 than you would in F on most US domestic airlines! If B6 ever goes West Coast to Hawaii-I'd take an EMS seat over F on AS or any legacy carrier every time! That is unless B6 uses Mint which I'm guessing they would...
Old Apr 25, 2016, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by JetBlueFA
We have bigger and better plans
I'm certainly glad to hear that! As a loyal follower of B6 (and occasionally VX) I'm a bit depressed that AS will likely destroy the great VX product. And I think loyal VX customers (as someone pointed out) will likely flock to B6 in droves-particularly considering the Mint offering and price point.
Old May 30, 2016, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by FBWFTW
I heard from a few different B6 employees that Mr. Hayes went after it but stopped because he knew AS was overpaying.
Just $2 more per share than B6's last, best offer was "overpaying"?
Old May 30, 2016, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Snowdevil
Just $2 more per share than B6's last, best offer was "overpaying"?
$57 a share on stock that was $26-$37 over the last year. $55/share was as high as B6 would go apparently (and $55 was still overpaying)
90% premium on VX. That's a lot!

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...s-the-pri.aspx
Old May 30, 2016, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by FBWFTW
$57 a share on stock that was $26-$37 over the last year. $55/share was as high as B6 would go apparently (and $55 was still overpaying)
90% premium on VX. That's a lot!

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...s-the-pri.aspx
Yet if B6 had closed the deal at $55/share we'd be hearing all about what a great deal it was...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.