Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compare & Contrast: B6 vs UA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2015, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Compare & Contrast: B6 vs UA

Well.. with the RUMORED changes to UA's MM program (where there is smoke, there is fire) and continued degradation of soft product, I'm looking at where I might take my $20K/yr airfare spend. I'm based in BOS and primarily domestic flyer with maybe 4-5 international flights (GRU, LHR, STT, NRT) a year. At 6'2 I do enjoy the E+ immensely.

I know B6 has been strong in BOS and seems to be growing. Would love to get 1st hand feedback from former UA Gold that have moved on to B6 and what they like/dislike.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 4:18 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
You probably won't get much assistance on this board. Most of those that fly B6/VX abandoned UA a long time ago and have no regrets.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by NH_Clark
Well.. with the RUMORED changes to UA's MM program (where there is smoke, there is fire) and continued degradation of soft product, I'm looking at where I might take my $20K/yr airfare spend. I'm based in BOS and primarily domestic flyer with maybe 4-5 international flights (GRU, LHR, STT, NRT) a year. At 6'2 I do enjoy the E+ immensely.

I know B6 has been strong in BOS and seems to be growing. Would love to get 1st hand feedback from former UA Gold that have moved on to B6 and what they like/dislike.
First of all, the rumor has been denied by United. But let's put that aside.

As an almost 2MM and multi-year United 1K, I'll offer insights:

I enjoy United, and I truly appreciate the service I get. Despite the kvetching that people on the UA board love to offer, I just don't feel the same sense of betrayal others have.

That said, once I hit 2MM (in a couple of weeks), I will be free. In other words, I won't be chasing status anymore. And with that said, when I fly LAX/SFO-BOS, I would rather take Mint than UA F/C or JetBlue Economy (paying for extra room) than UA Y+.

If you are mostly domestic from BOS, JetBlue is the choice. One of the nice things is about any airline that is only one class of service (Mint excluded).... You don't get all bent out of shape if someone gets an upgrade and you don't.

What JetBlue does not offer is a first rate alliance. *A is a great resource to use miles with.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
thanks for the responses.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by NH_Clark

Interestingly enough, I used to do almost all of my flying on UA, but moved to B6 as they serve most of my top destinations non-stop out of BOS. Just this past week, however, I was on UA to ATL (via EWR and ORD) and I have to say, it was quite surprising how much I've become accustomed I've become to B6's service and amenities:

*On the one leg that had TV, you had to pay....unlike on B6 where it's always free. Also, I missed the map feature!
*Legroom: This was the biggest issue (no pun intended); I'm a tall guy, so I 100% noticed how much less room you have on UA (non E+). It's nice to know that no matter where you are on a B6 plane, you'll have decent leg-room
*Snacks: UA=nope, B6=every time
*Service: B6's staff is *almost* always friendly and smiling, whereas with UA, the overwhelming majority of FA's and GA's I encountered were less than interested in the "human" aspect of their job

Overall, the trip definitely made me appreciate all the little things that B6 offers over their competition; I actually missed them in a weird way that only people on this board could understand! They're typically on time, and fly to a huge amount of destinations non-stop from BOS, so absolutely, take your money to B6.

On top of that, you'll notice just how far your FF points go with B6, and get substantial bonuses throughout the year depending on how many flights you've taken

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.