Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Int'l Connection Time at BOS

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2015, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Int'l Connection Time at BOS

I'm looking at booking a trip from KEF-BOS-DTW, with the first leg on Icelandair, scheduled to land at 5:40pm, and the second leg on JetBlue departing at 8:15pm.

The Iceland flight typically is 30 minutes late. Is this enough time to collect my bags, get through customs at terminal E, and re-check in at at terminal C? I see there's a travel advisory because of construction at BOS until December. My flight is in Feb, so I shouldn't be affected by this.

Also, my entire route is IAD-KEF-BOS-DTW, and I've noticed that it's cheaper if I book IAD-KEFon icelandair, and then book KEF-BOS-DTW on JetBlue rather than the entire trip on 1 ticket through Icelandair ($298+$431=$729 vs. $779). Is there anything that I should be concerned about booking the trip this way?

Thanks!
Old Nov 15, 2015, 11:25 am

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
I would think you should have enough time, BUT remember that airlines are more forgiving about you missing flights if the segments are all on the same reservation vs being booked separately, in which case connections missed on different airlines may say it wasn't their fault and so there's nothing they can do.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 11:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Same reservation won't matter. But, same ticket will. As I read it, OP is booking either IAD-KEF-DTW on one ticket or IAD-KEF and KEF-DTW on another ticket. Either way, if he misconnects at BOS, it will be for FI as the late delivering carrier (presuming that FI is late) to rebook. OP would be rebooked on the next available B6 flight and possibly another carrier if there is nothing to be had on B6.

The disadvantage of two one-way tickets is that if any changes are made, OP will pay two change fees instead of one. Thus, if he needs to move his trip by a week, he will pay a fee to change each ticket if he has booked the two one-ways.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 3:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Dom Bologna
Is this enough time to collect my bags, get through customs at terminal E, and re-check in at at terminal C?
Yes. Tons of time to spare there.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 7:17 pm

$50 is not worth the risk that you will misconnect and neither airline would have any responsibility to rebook you. It will be winter and more chance of delays eating up your 2-1/2 hours connect time. You would have to pay for another ticket for the second leg out of pocket.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
Yes. Tons of time to spare there.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Often1
Same reservation won't matter. But, same ticket will. As I read it, OP is booking either IAD-KEF-DTW on one ticket or IAD-KEF and KEF-DTW on another ticket. Either way, if he misconnects at BOS, it will be for FI as the late delivering carrier (presuming that FI is late) to rebook. OP would be rebooked on the next available B6 flight and possibly another carrier if there is nothing to be had on B6.

The disadvantage of two one-way tickets is that if any changes are made, OP will pay two change fees instead of one. Thus, if he needs to move his trip by a week, he will pay a fee to change each ticket if he has booked the two one-ways.
Thanks. Yes, this is what I'd be doing. KEF-DTW on one ticket. B6 has the last flight of the night to DTW. Their next flight is 7am, Delta's next flight is 6am.

I guess my big worry is if DC gets hit with another snowpocalypse, the IAD-KEF flight is cancelled, and I never make it there. I'm using a Citi card with trip insurance. I guess I'll email Citi to see if it would cover this situation.

My entire trip starts with FNT-BWI on WN (paying with RR points), staying in DC for 2 nights with friends, then to KEF with a friend from DC. After KEF, I'd like to go directly home, and the connection in BOS looks to be get me home fastest.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 2:29 pm

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
BOS, since it's right on the harbor, can shut down runways due to winds over 30mph, so you need to take that into account.

You need to allow 10 minutes of walking between Terminals E and C. JetBlue is the closest thing we have to hub in Boston, and if you don't have TSA precheck, the lines can be longish. Good news is that since the terminal renovations are almost complete, there are now a decent amount of food options (fast and sit down) post-security.

Do you have Global Entry? If so, you should easily make the connection even if there is lousy weather. If not, you should be okay, but you may have to hustle. The $100 is well worth it, IMHO, since it covers expedited immigration for international, as well as domestic pre-check.

Good luck and welcome to Boston!
Old Nov 26, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
BOS has been having a notoriously bad time as of late with excessive lines at CBP. While technically possible I am not sure I would do this connection without Global Entry.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: AAdvantage, United MileagePlus, TrueBlue, Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan (starting 2016)
Originally Posted by ellinj
BOS has been having a notoriously bad time as of late with excessive lines at CBP. While technically possible I am not sure I would do this connection without Global Entry.
Summer is a problem at peak times but February shouldn't be an issue. You have PD YTZ at 6:10 AF CDG at 6:10 TK IST at 6:20 LH MUC at 6:35 and if its a Saturday a couple of B6 flights (CUN BGI) in the 6-7pm slot.

I was at the curb just over 30 minutes in August coming off LIS-BOS. Sometimes its luck of the draw in peak season.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.