Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

JetBlue Flight 191 Pilot sues Airline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JetBlue Flight 191 Pilot sues Airline

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2015, 1:10 pm
HMO

Let's remember this guy was the Captain, the highest rank on board. Even with all the discretionary power FAA gave for the other crew member to take some action if they see something wrong, it's not easy to tell your superior he won't fly if the signals aren't so strong.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 1:49 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
There simply is not enough information in the Bloomberg article to make a judgment here.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by blue2002
Huh? The French prosecutor is Bryce Robin. In Germany Christoph Kumpa is the spokesman for the Dusseldorf prosecutor's office. What are you talking about?
I am talking about that what you are doing is a word play with the non-immediate translation into English. The authorities are investigating the incident in both countries. No one is currently being charged or prosecuted.

Also your assertion that third parties who should have been more attentive to the behaviour of the copilot will be prosecuted for negligence, is - given that the current scenario of the lone perpetrator survives into the final report - based on no precedence.
..No civilized society should send someone to jail because they fell ill... if he indeed had a stroke.
Not for falling ill. for their actions.

But the particular incident was too minor to trigger a fundamental decision in either direction.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by weero
I am talking about that what you are doing is a word play with the non-immediate translation into English. The authorities are investigating the incident in both countries. No one is currently being charged or prosecuted.

Also your assertion that third parties who should have been more attentive to the behaviour of the copilot will be prosecuted for negligence, is - given that the current scenario of the lone perpetrator survives into the final report - based on no precedence.
weero, sorry to say this, but you seem to have a challenge with reading comprehension.

(a) I did not play on words. German and French prosecutors ARE involved, simply because that is how things are done in these jurisdictions. I never said anyone is currently prosecuted.

(b) I never said that third parties should be prosecuted. I simply ventured a guess that they might.

Sometimes less is more, and this goes for the post count as well.@:-)
Old Apr 4, 2015, 11:18 pm

Not for falling ill. for their actions.
What about culpability? You don't make any sense.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 3:50 am

weero, sorry to say this, but you seem to have a challenge with reading comprehension.
Well at least I can read French and German. What you are referring to has limited equivalence to the US situation.
I did not play on words. German and French prosecutors ARE involved simply because that is how things are done in these jurisdictions.
I know roughly how things are done here in Europe, less how they work in the US. And while the authority investigating it, the Staatsanwaltschaft is translated as prosecutor's office, it only acts as the office of investigation at this stage. It's an administrative system, not an adversarial one.
I never said that third parties should be prosecuted. I simply ventured a guess that they might.
You absolutely did in post #8. You were 'sure' the 'prosecutor' would go down your road.
Sometimes less is more, and this goes for the post count as well.@:-)
I agree. Like all others here, I fail to see your motive for having to defend this man's tasteless jump on the bandwagon of the real crash.
What about culpability? You don't make any sense.
Of course I don't if you keep madly changing the goal posts. #1 Agree, no one should be persecuted simply for being ill, #2 people should generally be held accountable for their actions. Alleviating or aggravating circumstances depend on many things, not just a degree of impairment, and so does #3 culpability. To my knowledge the 191 captain was no convicted of a criminal wrongdoing but held long term in a mental institution and is on probation to this day.

Where's the remote evidence that he'd still have his job and dignity if he was booted from that cockpit earlier?
Old Apr 6, 2015, 12:01 pm

Well at least I can read French and German.
Your point?
What you are referring to has limited equivalence to the US situation.
Agreed. I never asserted otherwise.

And while the authority investigating it, the Staatsanwaltschaft is translated as prosecutor's office, it only acts as the office of investigation at this stage. It's an administrative system, not an adversarial one.
Agreed. I never asserted otherwise.

You absolutely did in post #8. You were 'sure' the 'prosecutor' would go down your road.
We are back to "reading comprehension". "should" is not the same as "I am sure they will".

Like all others here, I fail to see your motive for having to defend this man's tasteless jump on the bandwagon of the real crash.
I am not here to defend anybody. I am merely speculating on how this case may unfold. What is your motive?

Of course I don't if you keep madly changing the goal posts.
You can't see the goal posts for the trees.
#1 Agree, no one should be persecuted simply for being ill, #2 people should generally be held accountable for their actions. Alleviating or aggravating circumstances depend on many things, not just a degree of impairment, and so does #3 culpability. To my knowledge the 191 captain was no convicted of a criminal wrongdoing but held long term in a mental institution and is on probation to this day.
There you go. We do agree on some things, it appears.

Where's the remote evidence that he'd still have his job and dignity if he was booted from that cockpit earlier?
There is none and I never asserted there was.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 5:20 pm

Your point?
None anymore as it seems that we agree on the facts ... so skip forward.
We are back to "reading comprehension". "should" is not the same as "I am sure they will".
Maybe I am doing you injustice but to partially quote you from post #8:
I am sure the French prosecutor will be looking at airport surveillance to observe the first officer's pre-flight behaviour. Depending on what - if anything - shows up in these tapes, the criminal responsibility and civil liability issues might surface there as well (e.g. against the airline, the airport, individuals).
So while you are cautious about the consequences, you assert that the incident will be probed in that light.

Now of course neither of us does know the real (or 'best') story until the final report will have come out. But if the story of the lone, insane, deliberate mass murderer holds up, there is no way that third parties would be investigated for criminal negligence or wrongdoing. If it doesn't hold up or not to the full extend, then yes, what you describe will happen.
I am not here to defend anybody. I am merely speculating on how this case may unfold. What is your motive?
Very simple - like the others here, I am outraged that this pilot - maybe stimulated by some ambulance chaser - tries to monetise the death of 150 people. For three years, he quietly lived with his minor wrongdoing (which had grave consequences for his freedom and his life) and now he found a pilot that did more wrong than he did.
There is none and I never asserted there was.
Fair enough ... but he does. Or at least the article claims that he does. So I think you should not defend him or his case or whatever you are defending exactly.

But yes you could well be right regarding the JetBlue case. I know little of the complex US liabilities. But I am also convinced that no parallels to the GermanWings disaster can be drawn from there.

Of course there is always the very real chance that the article distorts and misrepresents the claim of the pilot, I just use it at face value for my view here.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 2:05 am

Lightbulb

So I think you should not defend him or his case or whatever you are defending exactly.
I will just re-quote my earlier response:
I am not here to defend anybody. I am merely speculating on how this case may unfold.
Otherwise we are good here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.