Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

"Switcheroo" between adult and lap infant on a purchased seat on Jetblue

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

I have a reservation to travel in January from LAX to JFK on Jetblue for four: my wife, myself, one child in a seat, and a lap infant. Due to something coming up, my wife is no longer going to come with us. This has got me to thinking: I've paid for the seat, is it possible to just plop my lap child into it? Here are some questions for anyone with experience in this area:

a) If I check the four of us in and board the plane without my wife, are they likely to give the seat away when they realize she's not there?
b) If I hand them everyone's boarding pass including my wife's and have them scanned in the hope no one notices that my wife has been substituted by a toddler, do I risk triggering some unpleasant security outcome (i.e. getting thrown off the plane)?
c) If I call Jetblue customer service and throw myself at their mercy, is there any chance that they will simply take my wife off the reservation and give her seat to my lap child?

Although possibly irrelevant from Jetblue's point of view, I can't imagine that anyone's going to want to sit for six hours next to me and two young children!

Thanks for all your help,

JH
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Titanium
is the infant female? The TSA doesn't look at ID for kids, right? How would they know they aren't the same person?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Yes, my daughter is the lap child. Wouldn't a boarding pass say "Infant in a seat" somewhere on it? We can certainly get to the gate, it's a question of whether or not the Jetblue staff will keep the seat open if they realize that my wife's not on the plane, right?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 4:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Strictly to the rules you're doing all sorts of things wrong. But it probably wouldn't be too hard to convince the GA & FAs that the baby happens to have the name on the BP.

You would need to cancel the infant in arms part of the booking before attempting this scenario. That shouldn't be too hard.

But, again, you're definitely violating the CoC and possibly some laws.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 4:18 pm

I say go for it. It might not work, but I would give it a shot.

I don't think there is much risk of anything more than someone being given your seat.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 3:42 pm

We've had limited experience dealing with JetBlue customer service reps, but they've treated us right. Earlier in the year we had booked a trip at the non-refundable fare, and something came up. I emailed them and explained, and they graciously waived the change fee and allowed us to save the unused fare as a travel bank credit. If time permits, I'd say email them via their Web site and see what they say.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.