Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Jet lue cancels Boston-Bermuda flight due to LACK OF FUEL???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2014, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

Thursday May 22nd, 2014 my daughter, who just graduated from college, and my wife were at Logan airport in Boston for their long planned and awaited trip to Bermuda on Jet Blue. The plane was right there in sight at the gate, fueled and ready to go. Then there was a delay, then more delay, then they finally cancelled the flight! They tried to book on other airlines, but could not secure passage any time soon at any rate that was reasonable. Jet Blue's cancellation excuse? There was a fuel problem in Bermuda, they said there was not enough fuel in Bermuda for that plane and crew to refuel and leave Bermuda, their plane and crew would have been stranded there. Ridiculous! So rather than take the 100+ passengers to Bermuda on the ready-to-go flight, and worry about fuel after delivering them there, they just cancel and leave 100+ people in the lurch. Corporate greed wins out over customer care, and vacation plans are dashed. Then, since we frequently see people getting free domestic air tickets for volunteering to get bumped off flights, my wife assumed they'd get that at a minimum as compensation, after destroying the vacation, and my wife being a mess for over a week about it, but no, Jet Blue's policy is a measly $50.00 credit each, which they doubled to $100.00 each. BFD! My wife complained loudly to everyone at Jet Blue, including top executives, but everything funneled back to their corporate mouthpiece tool, who would not budge on the measly, insulting $100.00 each credit...like we'd ever fly Jet Blue again!Then we find out that there were about 18 flights out of Boston to Bermuda that very same day, and apparently only lowly Jet Blue was denied fuel to get out of Bermuda. What a sad excuse for an airline, and customer service. We'll avoid them like the plague, and you should too.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 1:16 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I'd respond with a rational explanation on how the airline industry works, but I'm sure you're just another one of those "register for a forum to post my angry misguided opinion and never come back to read the responses" type.

Corporate greed? How are they greedy? If they were greedy, they'd want your business. Maybe you should read their contract of carriage.

But it's ok. At least jetBlue's 28 million other happy passengers will have one less clueless person complaining throughout the entire flight.

For everyone else, I'm sure it had to do with JetBlue's fuel/ground contractor dropping the ball. Other airlines probably use other contractors, so that's why they were able to go.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:16 am

Programs: Hertz Five Star, Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, National Executive, Alaksa MVP
so how many flights after yours should JetBlue cancel cause they can't get the plane back to Logan?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 7:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. Please list the other 18 flights to BDA on that day. If you had even taken a look at the BDA schedule, you would see that there are not even 18 departures to the US (and I mean anywhere in the US). Why assert something that is completely false? When you do, it leaves others doubting the truth of the rest of what you say.

2. BDA imports 100% of its fuel. It's an island and doesn't have any natural resource or refining capability. Thus, not a matter of running an extra tanker truck over from somewhere else. If there's no fuel at BDA, that leaves two options: 1) let the aircraft sit at BDA until a ship arrives to restock or depart and go into the drink somewhere between BDA and the aircraft's destination. I'll take safety first. Why the tanker was delayed is anyone's guess, but I doubt that the carrier seeded the clouds to create a storm to delay the tanker.

3. The $100 is a customer service gesture, not compensation. You can keep ranting at anybody you want, but you have found as most know that when you keep ranting, all you get is your communications routed to the same place.

This is unfortunate, but since -- as you know -- there weren't 18 other later flights to be had, it was unfortunate.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:21 am

Programs: AA EXP
Presumably there were also 100 passengers stuck at BDA wanting to return home, but perhaps they were less upset about the prospect of an additional night's vacation.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by JohnM2001
...they said there was not enough fuel in Bermuda for that plane and crew to refuel and leave Bermuda, their plane and crew would have been stranded there. So rather than take the 100+ passengers to Bermuda on the ready-to-go flight, and worry about fuel after delivering them there, they just cancel... Corporate greed wins out over customer care.
Explain that rather curious statement. What does "corporate greed" have to do with it? Sounds like not wanting to strand a needed aircraft indefinitely at a distant outstation had a lot to do with it.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 4:11 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Mosaic 3, ⓥ for the animals

(source http://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhob...3#.U5jS6_mwJWg)
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
It's not surprising they just cancelled the flight, too much impact downstream.

Last edited by ellinj; Jun 12, 2014 at 10:51 am
Old Jun 12, 2014, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cancelling the flight also meant that some jetBlue passengers were stranded in Bermuda (the ones who would have been on the return flight). It's quite obvious that B6 did not want to cancel that flight to BDA, but someone decided that cancellation was the most prudent course of action.

Apparently, Bermuda was short on fuel that week:

http://www.bermudasun.bm/Content/BUS...l/72/888/77643
Old Jun 15, 2014, 8:33 am

Programs: Foodland Maika'i Plastic Card, DL GM when it meant something
Originally Posted by BearX220
Explain that rather curious statement. What does "corporate greed" have to do with it? Sounds like not wanting to strand a needed aircraft indefinitely at a distant outstation had a lot to do with it.
It means there was likely jet fuel to be had in BDA, albeit not at a price that the airline deemed acceptable.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:54 am

i am not defending JB which has its issues of course, but i believe all the US-Bda flts travel w/ enough fuel to return to destination.....you occasionally hear that a flt has turned back when approaching Bda due to winds or other weather which has blown in....could be JB's miscommunication to pax on the reason for the cxl...frustrating yes since the DL was apparently not avail to you..[ only other BN-Bda flt i believe]
Old Jun 15, 2014, 9:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Another reason to avoid JetBlue
Old Jun 15, 2014, 9:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DL2SXM
Could've happened to any other airline.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 2:04 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
And just as I expected, the OP registered, left a misguided rant, and never came back.

Originally Posted by DL2SXM
You're a DM on DL. Why would you ever want to fly JetBlue? You'd never get a Medallion upgrade on JetBlue since they're single class of service and all (on the most part). Do you leave the Delta forum and bash the other airlines for fun?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.