Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

B6 announces plans to allow PEDs during takeoff and landing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

B6 announces plans to allow PEDs during takeoff and landing

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2013, 11:28 am
21A
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.3; en-us; Galaxy Nexus Build/JWR66Y) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

http://investor.jetblue.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=131045&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1870924&highlight=
Old Oct 31, 2013, 12:35 pm

This was the FAA, not B6.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by Yosef
B6 is simply jumping on the bandwagon, saying they plan to allow PEDs now that the FAA has ruled it ok.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by ellinj
B6 is simply jumping on the bandwagon, saying they plan to allow PEDs now that the FAA has ruled it ok.
....and trying to get some PR out of it.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 6:32 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Barry Bonds likes this
Old Nov 2, 2013, 3:49 am

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors Diamond
Effective immediately all customers may now use small personal electronic devices from gate to gate. We received approval yesterday at around 1630. Small electronics include iPhones, iPads, Kindles, Cell Phones and others as long as the device is put into airplane mode once the main cabin door is closed. Large electronics such as laptop computers will still need to be powered down and stowed for takeoff and landing and are only allowed above 10,000ft. There may also come a time when we will require ALL electronics to be powered down. Such a time includes low visibility takeoffs and landings and if that occurs the flight deck will make an announcement as such.

So feel free to play Candy Crush ALL flight. It was a strange feeling last night doing my compliance check and seeing everybody on phones and other electronics but it felt great not having to be the electronics police!
Old Nov 2, 2013, 1:31 pm

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Hertz
The first-ever flight in the USA with gate-to-gate electronics permitted:

http://vimeo.com/78385765
Old Nov 3, 2013, 6:46 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Interesting Airplane Mode, WiFi, and Compliance

It is interesting that the new FAA rules refer to using airplane mode anytime under 10,000 feet, and I'm not sure how airlines or crews could ensure that pax have their devices in airplane mode or not.

Also its my understanding that the new rules permit WiFi use under 10,000 feet, so typically, with say an iPhone you would have to not be using airplane mode to use WiFi.

I wonder even before the rules change say on a flight with 150 people, how many people kept their device fully on with airplane mode off during all phases of flight, including under 10,000 feet, despite the old rule. I know people who kept their devices on so that they would more quikcly boot up & be connected upon landing, and also such pax could get push notifications or emails from the out time until shortly after take off when such a device would receive a cell signal.

I wonder if FlyFi is going to be configured to work gate to gate including below 10,000 feet?
Old Nov 4, 2013, 3:58 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Airplane mode does not disable WiFi, only the cellular antenna, and possibly Bluetooth.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 4:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Yosef
Sortof.

First the FAA had to change the policy and then the airlines have to certify their planes and apply for permission from the FAA, showing the results of their testing and such. JetBlue, Delta and American are all on board as of now.
Originally Posted by diburning
Airplane mode does not disable WiFi, only the cellular antenna, and possibly Bluetooth.
That has not been my experience on any mobile device I've owned ever.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 4:53 pm

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors Diamond
If I have WiFi and Bluetooth and a Cell Signal on on my iPhone and I switch on Airplane Mode it turns everything off. However I can then turn back individual components such as WiFi and Bluetooth.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 10:26 pm
21A
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.3; en-us; Galaxy Nexus Build/JWR66Y) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Originally Posted by JetBlueFA
If I have WiFi and Bluetooth and a Cell Signal on on my iPhone and I switch on Airplane Mode it turns everything off. However I can then turn back individual components such as WiFi and Bluetooth.
That seems to be the way it works in Android, too.

I actually liked the way BlackBerry used to do it: Mobile Network, Wi-Fi, etc were just separate toggles (no need to worry about what "airplane mode" means, just ensure Mobile Network is off).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.