Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

SOMETHING STINKS - 497 (BOS-SEA) delayed four hours because of flushed diaper

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2013, 3:17 am
Original Poster

My daughter was scheduled to leave BOS on 8/20 at 8:40 PM with SEA arrival scheduled at 11:20 PM. Apparently a passenger on earlier flight on this aircraft attempted to flush a diaper down toilet. Not detected until preparing plane for BOS-SEA flight.

Bottom Line: New plane needed. Not available for four hours. My late night pickup of my daughter at 11:20 PM just turned into a middle of the night trip after 3 AM (and in effect a red eye for her, arriving at 6 AM east coast time.)

More than the diaper stinks.

1) What was the idiot passenger thinking?
2) Any compensation for this non weather delay? (Found out Jet Blue gave each passenger a $75 flight voucher.)

Last edited by IOIOIOIOIO; Aug 21, 2013 at 6:07 am Reason: New Info
Old Aug 21, 2013, 7:53 am

Aircraft toilets are the nemesis of airline mechanics worldwide--I wouldn't be surprised if the average mechanic spends more time fixing the toilet than any other part of the aircraft.

And while some of these issues may be unavoidable, many are just because of stupid pax putting things down there that don't belong. I think my five year old has a better grasp of what is and is not supposed to go into a toilet than many pax out there...
Old Aug 21, 2013, 8:02 am

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by EnhancedByCO
Aircraft toilets are the nemesis of airline mechanics worldwide--I wouldn't be surprised if the average mechanic spends more time fixing the toilet than any other part of the aircraft.

And while some of these issues may be unavoidable, many are just because of stupid pax putting things down there that don't belong. I think my five year old has a better grasp of what is and is not supposed to go into a toilet than many pax out there...
You. Have. No. Idea. I'm amazed at what some people try to flush down the lavs. Makes me wonder what they try and flush down the toilet at home. I've had to divert twice in my 8 years for a diaper being flushed and jamming the entire system. Same thing happened last night on 633 BOS-SFO. Plane air returned because something was flushed that disabled the entire system. It's not an easy fix either so usually there is a massive delay associated with it. Nothing should be flushed that wasn't meant for a toilet lol. If you wouldn't do it or flush it at home please don't do it or flush it on an aircraft
Old Aug 21, 2013, 1:21 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.3; en-us; HTC_T120C Build/IML74K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Child should be revoked.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by vatraveler
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.3; en-us; HTC_T120C Build/IML74K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Child should be revoked.
No, there is no needing to revoked. The baby's mother that she didn't do right. She can't be put the diapers in the toilet. That is problem. She didn't put the diapers in the garbage. It is her fault. No one who blame her.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 5:17 pm

Programs: US Airways, Silver United, Gold Hilton, Platinum Marriott, Gold SPG
How stupid is that? It says with BIG letters, right on the toilet, not to do it. Was she intoxicated I wonder?
Old Sep 18, 2013, 9:27 am

Programs: BD, BA, 1MHC.
Originally Posted by SiberianTiger
How stupid is that? It says with BIG letters, right on the toilet, not to do it. Was she intoxicated I wonder?
What we in the UK would call a Chav.

NB
Old Sep 21, 2013, 9:33 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Find the passenger and bill her for all the vouchers and the costs associated with the delay!
Old Sep 28, 2013, 12:21 pm

Programs: KLM FB, BA EC, Miles&Mafia, Delta SM, Mile High Club
Originally Posted by IOIOIOIOIO
2) Any compensation for this non weather delay? (Found out Jet Blue gave each passenger a $75 flight voucher.)
If this was Europe you could throw EC261/04 at 'em and pocket €400 cash. What do the american laws have to say about delays of the "diaper content happens" type?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.