Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Chances of BOS-SJO or BOS-GUA on B6

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2012, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, United MileagePlus, TrueBlue, Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan (starting 2016)

Hello all,

I found a Massport powerpoint that said total O&D for BOS-SJO was 54,744 for FY2010. That can easily fill an A320! It was the fourth largest international market not served by a non stop flight at Logan (now the third with BOS-NRT having started on JAL). That same powerpoint had BOS-GUA at 51,743 which was very surprising as well.

I've always wondered why no one has ventured to fly these routes even on a seasonal or 2-4 times weekly basis. BOS had TACA at one point but that went to El Salvador. The station is already setup in San Jose. I know B6 would have to create the station in Guatemala City.

Any rumors or rumblings of the San Jose, CR route starting sooner rather than later?

Thanks!
Old Jun 10, 2012, 12:02 pm

Programs: trueblue ,mileageplus skymiles, hilton honors silver
BOS-SJO

Originally Posted by adambisi
Hello all,

I found a Massport powerpoint that said total O&D for BOS-SJO was 54,744 for FY2010. That can easily fill an A320! It was the fourth largest international market not served by a non stop flight at Logan (now the third with BOS-NRT having started on JAL). That same powerpoint had BOS-GUA at 51,743 which was very surprising as well.

I've always wondered why no one has ventured to fly these routes even on a seasonal or 2-4 times weekly basis. BOS had TACA at one point but that went to El Salvador. The station is already setup in San Jose. I know B6 would have to create the station in Guatemala City.

Any rumors or rumblings of the San Jose, CR route starting sooner rather than later?

Thanks!
Could they A320's fly that long of a distance ?
Old Jun 10, 2012, 1:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bmg42000
Yeah, but not a lot of slack in the system. GUA is 2240 miles and SJO is 2368.

The bigger issue, IMO, is that the number of passengers actually isn't enough. The 54,744 barely actually makes the 150 daily passengers. And that would assume that everyone is flying on the non-stop. You don't have a lot of connecting traffic on either end to fill up the plane so you're completely depending on the O/D crowd and you'd have to get all of it. That's not going to happen so then it is a question of whether it is worth flying a long, thin route which pretty much maxes out the aircraft. I'd bet it isn't unless they can draw pretty high yields. It would also cannibalize some of the feed in MCO for the SJO route, which only works if you're replacing it from elsewhere.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by bmg42000
Yes, of course they do. They have more range. It will have more than 3,200nm. This should be just fine and there is no problem at all.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, United MileagePlus, TrueBlue, Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan (starting 2016)
Originally Posted by sbm12
Yeah, but not a lot of slack in the system. GUA is 2240 miles and SJO is 2368.

The bigger issue, IMO, is that the number of passengers actually isn't enough. The 54,744 barely actually makes the 150 daily passengers. And that would assume that everyone is flying on the non-stop. You don't have a lot of connecting traffic on either end to fill up the plane so you're completely depending on the O/D crowd and you'd have to get all of it. That's not going to happen so then it is a question of whether it is worth flying a long, thin route which pretty much maxes out the aircraft. I'd bet it isn't unless they can draw pretty high yields. It would also cannibalize some of the feed in MCO for the SJO route, which only works if you're replacing it from elsewhere.

I see your point with the yield and probably competition (especially AA and to a lesser extent NK). The average fare was 189 (BOS-SJO) and 196 (BOS-GUA) each way and that may not cut it for a daily. I do wonder if 2-3x weekly would work as they they do with BOS-SXM/MBJ/PUJ (Wednesday/Saturday/Sunday). Some sort of tie-up with AviancaTaca could help for BOS-SJO.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by adambisi
Some sort of tie-up with AviancaTaca could help for BOS-SJO.
Definitely, though AV/TA just signed codeshare agreements with UA and they are joining *A imminently. Doesn't preclude a B6 codeshare agreement, but it does diminish the potential value a bit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.