Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JetBlue devaluing points?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2012, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

JetBlue devaluing points?

I just checked some BOS-LAX flights in June, and it looks like I was getting only about $0.011/point, which is down from the 0.013-0.014 that were at not too long ago. I also checked a BOS-SEA flight in May, which was just under $0.012.

Obviously there is route-to-route variability, but this seems like a 20-30% devaluation of the points. I guess this is a pretty big downside to these amorphous points based plans, where they can arbitrarily devalue your points without warning.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 3:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The range has been 1.05-1.55 cents per point for a while now. It can vary on the same day, route and revenue fare price point for different flights. Just depends on the flight in question.

ETA: The first random date/flight I just searched - JFK-SEA on 30 May - is coming in at 1.29 cents/point. The day prior the rates are worse, with one actually below a penny.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 8:58 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
In March they did have a couple days where there was a 20% discount on points redemptions. I got over 1.7 c per point which was not bad. Generally it seems the more likely they are going to sell full fare seats on a particular flight the more points it takes to redeem which makes sense. Legacy carriers can charge 2 or 3 times as much to redeem on peak flights or not have any availability. At least with B6 if the number of points for your redemption goes down, you can always reticket and get the difference in points back. Also if the fare goes down the number of points required generally goes down as well. Take advantage of the sales and save yourself points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.