Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

jetBlue captain has inflight meltdown; locked out of flight deck, flight diverted

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

jetBlue captain has inflight meltdown; locked out of flight deck, flight diverted

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2012, 2:23 pm

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by MavSeven
Says the guy who posts this crap:

First of all, you don't work for the FBI, the FAA, JetBlue... you're probably not even a lawyer or a small town-cop.
Nor a frequent flyer (or even an adult), by the way...
Old Apr 7, 2012, 3:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by adamj023
All the comments here are all one sided supportive of what the news media has portrayed rather than a full accounting of this flight including flight controllers, JetBlue operation center (which was in the process of migration around that time), military centers and so on and so forth. Flying a plane after 9/11 isn't just 2 people in the cockpit and a flight crew.

Latest is that the detention hearing was waived which is good news.
The news media didn't "portray" the many passengers' statements about the captain's conduct in the cabin -- they quoted the passengers and interviewed them on camera. You can fantasize to your vivid imagination's limit about how there is so much more to this story than simply a pilot having a mental breakdown mid-flight. But the part you don't enjoy thinking about is all of those passengers' observations of this pilot having a mental breakdown mid-flight. That's the buzzkill for the fantasy.

That's not even getting into the pilot's wife thanking the passengers who restrained her husband and referring to his "recovery" (her word). Then again, perhaps she's in on it too...
Old Apr 7, 2012, 9:30 pm

Flying a plane after 9/11 isn't just 2 people in the cockpit and a flight crew.
Uh, it wasn't in the gazillion years of industry history before 9/11 either...

I have to hand it to you--your oddball observations and theories make this thread quire entertaining...
Old Apr 7, 2012, 9:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dhuey
The news media didn't "portray" the many passengers' statements about the captain's conduct in the cabin -- they quoted the passengers and interviewed them on camera. You can fantasize to your vivid imagination's limit about how there is so much more to this story than simply a pilot having a mental breakdown mid-flight. But the part you don't enjoy thinking about is all of those passengers' observations of this pilot having a mental breakdown mid-flight. That's the buzzkill for the fantasy.

That's not even getting into the pilot's wife thanking the passengers who restrained her husband and referring to his "recovery" (her word). Then again, perhaps she's in on it too...
She never used the words mental recovery. She said the following:

Sunday his family is focused on his recovery

The midair meltdown component was ADDED BY THE MEDIA. Again you used your own interpretation of events here because of the MEDIA STORY.

He got tackled by lots of people. She was talking about his physical recovery. She never once used the word mental or breakdown. The media story from Reuters said FOCUSED ON RECOVERY from what I have seen to date.

If I was tackled too, I would expect the same.

I love how you take the medias own words and twist them around.

Reminds me of many many stories where journalists have lied which have all been documented and have manipulated or added their own words and interpretations to the story.

Unless the cockpit voice recordings and other information from inside the cockpit are made public, this whole story has been manipulated and twisted around from day 1.

Again the duress part is disturbing to me as is the media portrayal right now.

I have flown JetBlue multiple times, have seen how the pilots handle the cockpit doors and am well aware of the security and physical operations of the firm. While the firm is human and makes mistakes like any other, this story here is being played by the media to their own narrative giving an interpretation of events that the flight data from the public record as far as I can tell right now does not correlate to what was said.

Believe me if I really thought this man really had an emotional breakdown and things were going on at the firm where this wasn't picked up I would be the first person to speak out against the firm.

There are unknowns right now and if pilot fatigue was an issue as others have said, that would be a serious issue if the pilot did not get enough rest and was overtired but that wouldn't be an emotional breakdown like reported or make this man mentally ill.

There could also be some unknowns which are not known as well as a full accounting of all passengers on that flight. I know how these investigations work, I know how pilots fly planes and I know there are a lot of people in this world and Mr Osbon was a Captain in high standing.

There is definitely more to what went on here and the total picture at least issued by the media right now is out of wack with the real picture and Mr. Osbon would have to speak on his own behalf but that is where the duress part comes in. With the FBI on his tail, he seems to not be able to freely speak on this matter and that part is VERY DISTURBING to me as a layman watching this.

I am gone from here, but hopefully Mr Osbon will get to give his side of the story whether in a court of law or thru other means and I give him the full benefit of the doubt right now.

Many many good airlines out there and competition for routes is intense and JetBlue is a good firm for what it is.

Last edited by adamj023; Apr 7, 2012 at 10:04 pm
Old Apr 7, 2012, 10:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I am gone from here...
No, adamj023, you are not gone from here. You have said that twice before, but you will not leave. You cannot help but return to regurgitate your fantasy about how this story is so very much more interesting than how it appears to everyone else. When you return, I will remind you how you said you were done here once, twice and now thrice.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA/CO 1K, AA Gold, SPG PP, Hertz PC
There could also be some unknowns which are not known.
Finally, something we can agree on. There could also be some things not known that are unknown. And things of which we have no knowledge for which we know nothing.

I know how these investigations work
Pray tell, how do they work?

I know how pilots fly planes
In 6,000 words or less, how do pilots fly planes?

I know there are a lot of people in this world
How can you be so sure? The media tells you there are lots of people, but you have never seen them all yourself. Don't tell me you believe biased sources like the CIA World Factbook.

*backs away slowly*
Old Apr 8, 2012, 12:13 am

All the comments here are all one sided supportive of what the news media has portrayed rather than a full accounting of this flight including flight controllers, JetBlue operation center (which was in the process of migration around that time), military centers and so on and so forth. Flying a plane after 9/11 isn't just 2 people in the cockpit and a flight crew.
As someone who has visited ATC facilities (and has friends that work there), has worked in airport operations (and is friends with just about every type of employee an airline can have), has trained at military facilities (and has friends that work there), and has a pilot's license myself:

<redacted>

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 8, 2012 at 11:47 am Reason: personal attack deleted - TOS #87
Old Apr 8, 2012, 12:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
This thread has apparently exhausted itself - facts are no longer being discussed, OMNI-like conspiracies are, ad hominem and personal attacks are being made, and the discussion has gone to repetitive, circular and non-productive. Thread now closed for the moment; thank you for your participation.

JDiver, Senior Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 8, 2012 at 12:39 pm
Old Apr 16, 2012, 1:11 pm

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, HHonors
JDiver did what I would if I was able to respond quicker. Thread will remain closed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.