Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Toddler Tantrum Gets Family Booted from JetBlue Flight.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Toddler Tantrum Gets Family Booted from JetBlue Flight.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot
As a father of a 3-year-old, when I read that article I was horrified. It seemed that the parents were trying all they could.
in this situation, "trying all they could" doesn't count. What counts is the result. If you can't control your child, don't fly.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by MarieS
After reading the article, this is the quote that explained it to me:

"We were holding them down with all of our might, seat belt on. And I said, 'We have them seated. Can we go now?" Colette, a pediatrician, told Rhode Island's NBC 10.

I do not think this is a tantrum that was under control. This was two parents holding the children down with all of their might. I think the pilot was correct.
^

In its own way, the portion of the video in which the parents are interviewed is hilarious. They're talking about having their kids under control on the plane when they didn't have them under control during the interview.

Originally Posted by dodger 1k
As some have pointed out, none of us were there. But since the Captain was there, and has sole discretion and responsibility over the aircraft and safety of flight, I have to side with his judgment.

The parents rolled the dice by taking an unnecessary leisure flight with toddlers. They lost. Better luck next time.

Originally Posted by MarieS
Again, the quote from the mother was that they had them buckled in and were holding them down with all their might. This is not under control. Do you really think that holding a screaming child down with all your might was in control? What was going to happen when the parents got tired? Were other passengers going to volunteer to hold them down with all their might? If there was turbulence they might have to hold them down with all their might for the entire flight. What would be the physical damage to a child screaming for the entire flight?

No, they had to leave the plane. I wouldn't want to take responsibility for two out of control children.

And the interview on the Today show really highlighted how little control the parents have with these two children. Guys, drive to Disney World until you've got a better handle on this behavior.
^

The bottom line is that the captain made what seems to be a sensible judgment call when letting the child (and family) stay on the plane could have led to further problems, not least delays and possible missed connections and other inconvenience for the other passengers. There's the chance that the child would have calmed down, but by no means a certainty.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 6:27 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG; SWA Preferred A; Hilton Honors Diamond...
Mother of 3; Grandmother of 5:
If your children can't behave in a restaurant, don't eat out. If your child cannot behave in a plane, stay off. Why should the rest of the passengers and flight crew be subjected to your child's tantrums? Give me a break!!!

To those concerned that this is an adult "temper tantrum;" Unequivocally no. I am just emphatic in my belief that because a parent wears their "love goggles," and/or might think their child's behavior is cute etc etc etc; others don't necessarily think so and shouldn't be expected to tolerate misbehavior. Period

Last edited by MsRoadwarrior; Apr 2, 2012 at 9:35 pm
Old Mar 30, 2012, 6:30 pm

The quote didn't paste. Boo! To the "flame" ; yes!!
Old Mar 30, 2012, 6:43 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by MsRoadwarrior
If your children can't behave in a restaurant, don't eat out. If your child cannot behave in a plane, stay off. Why should the rest of the passengers and flight crew be subjected to your child's tantrums? Give me a break!!!
Excellent! A grown-up version of a toddler tantrum!!!

Just goes to show it can happen to the best of us.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by User Name

Absolutely not and perhaps a refresher in good manners would be helpful or is it another example of the entitlement, rules don't apply to me so suck it up because whatever makes me happy goes, mentality that seems to be prevalent.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 7:31 pm

Programs: AC *50K MM; WS Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by User Name

Grown-up version of a temper tantrum? I don't see it that way at all. Surely three exclamation points and a mad emoticon do not constitute the equivalent of yelling, screaming and stomping of feet?
Old Apr 4, 2012, 7:41 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, RC/Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
Control your kid, it's not your own private jet. There are 100+ other paying customers on the plane who do not deserve to put up with a child throwing a tantrum. It's similar to people who bring crying babies into a movie theater, and is extremely inconsiderate of the others around you. Give the kid some Dramamine or find out another way to keep him from throwing a tantrum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.