Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Status/Elite tiers on Jetblue? will this ever come?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2012, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

I fly UAL primarily and sometimes Jetblue. I'd move to Jetblue for more of my flying if there was more reward for giving them my business. Early boarding...exit row/EML seats for free, drink coupons, etc.

Any chance of this happening anytime?
Old Jan 27, 2012, 7:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There will be something. Eventually.

No idea what or when, but I believe the sources I've spoken with who say that there will be something eventually.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 7:34 am

Programs: United 1K
I don't know what's taking JetBlue so long to make these changes - I find Virgin America offers a much better product.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 7:52 am
Suspended

I would love to see B6 expand their program to include earning and redeeming on TATL carriers.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Yeah it seems like Jetblue jumped off the starting blocks with a headstart, but is unable to keep it...if Virgin America can increase their routes and frequency, they'll be a serious player in the game.

I'd love to see Jetblue revamp their FF program though, to at least make things a bit more enticing.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 11:15 am

Jamie N. Baker - JP Morgan Chase & Co, Research Division

David, you cited some business traveler metrics but it still doesn't seem that your share of the wallet in New York and Boston is where it could be. I do realize you're pretty aggressive with upsells and what have you, but it still doesn't seem to be much of a recognition of your most loyal higher-yielding passengers, no elite program, for example, I guess, I'm just surprised, it almost seems as if you're letting it happen naturally as opposed to really being out there and courting higher-yielding business travelers. Is my understanding incorrect in that regard?

David Barger

Jamie. It's actually, I believe so, to be candid with you, and when we look at really, our mix, the problem that we're trying to solve is really the trough period, right? Historically the troughs, the peaks just screamed and the troughs were weak and so as we invest in more of a network, a business model in places like Boston. And now we're seeing 30% type traffic on business, in and out of Boston, that's significantly enhanced from what we see across the rest of the network at 15% to 20% and so keep in mind, if you're talking about those markets that are now starting to mature into year 2 are harvesting some of the investments that are taking place. Listen, when you look at the history of some of the other carriers in Boston, as we're flying to places like O'Hare, as we're flying to places in the mid-Atlantic as an example into a Newark, certainly the investment that's taking place previously at Reagan National and potentially more. Clearly, I think, that are operating in addition to TrueBlue, in addition to Even More is quite a nice offering. it's a little bit contrarian [ph], Jamie from --. By the way, the platinum, the -- the platinum, the gold, the silver, by the way, here's the club experience. Our model is a little bit different along those lines and so, I think, what we're seeing, the trajectory is quite solid in places like Boston. With regard to Kennedy and when you're really look at our franchising in Kennedy. we take a look at this airport differently because of its geography versus the La Guardia and versus a Newark. And as such, we certainly see our fair share business customers but that network is really positioned for the leisure traffic, for the VFR traffic and so it's kind of nice. I think what I've seen really with this year-over-year PRASM growth during the troughs, we're really pleased with and we saw it again in early November, the first 3 weeks and we saw it in the early part of December. It's a little bit of a tougher comp, but quite pleased with what we're seeing on our investment, Jamie.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 11:40 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, AA Platinum, National Executive Elite
Thanks for posting the quote from the investor call. It now seems pretty clear that B6 has decided they don't need to do much more to cater to business travelers.

Sad news indeed. While I agree that having an elite program similar to that of the legacy carriers would be bad for JetBlue, I will never understand why they won't even make the easy (invisible) changes. I made a long in-depth post on this topic before, but even if B6 weren't to advertise a new 'preferred program'....why not give those who fly 25+ times a year free priority security access? (No one would know they got it for free!) Why not give them a dedicated phone # (for when weather becomes an issue and know you'll be taken care of for being among the most loyal customers)? And why not allow same-day flight changes for free, via this 800#?

These suggestions all seem extremely easy to add and although they wouldn't match the elite programs the legacy carriers offer, it takes care of the most important issues (IMO) facing business travelers and would allow them to fly B6 more often.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by moulder3
Thanks for posting the quote from the investor call. It now seems pretty clear that B6 has decided they don't need to do much more to cater to business travelers.

Sad news indeed. While I agree that having an elite program similar to that of the legacy carriers would be bad for JetBlue, I will never understand why they won't even make the easy (invisible) changes. I made a long in-depth post on this topic before, but even if B6 weren't to advertise a new 'preferred program'....why not give those who fly 25+ times a year free priority security access? (No one would know they got it for free!) Why not give them a dedicated phone # (for when weather becomes an issue and know you'll be taken care of for being among the most loyal customers)? And why not allow same-day flight changes for free, via this 800#?

These suggestions all seem extremely easy to add and although they wouldn't match the elite programs the legacy carriers offer, it takes care of the most important issues (IMO) facing business travelers and would allow them to fly B6 more often.
Giving out a 1-800 number really goes against the foundation of JetBlue. Remember they were founded by the guy who started pushing etickets. I understand a select few have a number as an exception, but why waste money staffing a call center to take business callers questions when you could create an excellent mobile application to do these things? I think using technology to leverage this would be a more likely JB strategy.

Security access is already being given to the even more space/speed customers, or closest thing to business class seats that JB offers.

Just my $0.02.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 1:21 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, AA Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by jj1987
Giving out a 1-800 number really goes against the foundation of JetBlue.

Security access is already being given to the even more space/speed customers, or closest thing to business class seats that JB offers.

Just my $0.02.
I guess I wasn't clear with my suggestions. I don't mean have a separate 800# for business travelers, but rather one for 'elite' members (like the legacy airlines) so that they know they'll be able to get through--and reasonably quickly--during weather issues. Any time there is a blizzard that severely impacts/closes BOS or JFK, the wait for a phone rep (to rebook) is always 60+ minutes--assuming you're lucky enough to get through.

As for priority security access, there is ZERO cost for JetBlue offering this to elite members. Every other airline offers this and is a must for frequent travelers, since security line times can vary so much. Also, since B6 (inexplicably) requires a separate itemized charge--rather than combining it in the total airfare cost--for an 'Even More Space' seat, it's a kiss of death for 95% of business travelers. This is because any itemized amount on a credit card needs to be justified, therefore most are unable to purchase it. (While the price of the ticket doesn't often matter to business travelers, having a second expense--regardless of the amount--can't be done for many business travelers.)
Old Jan 29, 2012, 1:41 pm

Agreed on the expedited security line issue. They definitely should give this for free for a certain level of traveler because this is such an easy thing to fix.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by jaguar
I don't know what's taking JetBlue so long to make these changes - I find Virgin America offers a much better product.
Depends on how much you value the legroom...
Old Jan 31, 2012, 11:50 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott TE, and Reformed AMEX Cent
The only reason a frequent flyer would fly B6 is that they don't know how much better they get treated on other airlines. Period.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Harlem
The only reason a frequent flyer would fly B6 is that they don't know how much better they get treated on other airlines. Period.
THAT depends on the elite level you're at with the other airlines.

1) UA Premier Silver (25,000 miles required): One free bag and possible upgrade at check in. Chance of that happening? Close to 0%.
2) DL Silver Medallion (25,000 miles required): One free bag and possible upgrade T-24h. Chance of that happening? Anywhere from 0 to 100%.
3) Regular pax at B6 (0 miles required): One free bag. Access to EMS for $$.

I'd say the B6 program is best of three for people barely making silver. Gold, Plat, and Diamond members at UA and DL probably are better off than at B6.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott TE, and Reformed AMEX Cent
It doesn't depend on anything. Silver at DL is 100% better than B6.
But I will say that I don't consider flying 25,000 miles in a year as being a frequent flyer.
But even at silver on DL.
1. You get a special phone number to call. Never a 60 minute wait time -ever.
2. When you book you get special access to exit row seats - so you get the extra leg room and don't have to pay for it.
3. Internet access is available on every flight. (You may not have a tv on every flight but watch a movie on your ipad or work on the internet)4.
4. Upgraded to first class about 25% of the time - some routes are 100% some are never so it depends on your flights - out of JFK, ALT, SFO, and SLC assume you'll never get upgraded.
5. You board first.
6. Bag is free.
7. When buying tickets you get first selection of the best seats in coach (they are set aside for frequent flyers)

If for no other reason than avoiding 60 minute hold times in a snow storm and booking exit row seats for free - B6 doesn't make sense for frequent flyers.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Harlem
It doesn't depend on anything. Silver at DL is 100% better than B6.
But I will say that I don't consider flying 25,000 miles in a year as being a frequent flyer.
But even at silver on DL.
1. You get a special phone number to call. Never a 60 minute wait time -ever.
2. When you book you get special access to exit row seats - so you get the extra leg room and don't have to pay for it.
3. Internet access is available on every flight. (You may not have a tv on every flight but watch a movie on your ipad or work on the internet)4.
4. Upgraded to first class about 25% of the time - some routes are 100% some are never so it depends on your flights - out of JFK, ALT, SFO, and SLC assume you'll never get upgraded.
5. You board first.
6. Bag is free.
7. When buying tickets you get first selection of the best seats in coach (they are set aside for frequent flyers)

If for no other reason than avoiding 60 minute hold times in a snow storm and booking exit row seats for free - B6 doesn't make sense for frequent flyers.
2. The exit row seat pitch at DL (32") is less than the regular seat pitch on B6 (34"), assuming an A320.
3. Sure, for a fee.
6. No advantage.
7. Only when you buy well in advance.

DL is ok. But I do think that the new UA program is severely devalued. And suppose you fly 20,000 miles/year? Or like 20 times BOS-JFK?

Actually, I think the value of being a DL medallion is with IRROPS.

Last edited by Dieuwer; Jan 31, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.