Community
Wiki Posts
Search

checking for price drops

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2011, 6:17 am
Original Poster

checking for price drops

Is there a time of day or even a usual day that I should check for price changes? Do the prices change more than once a day? Any hints?
Old Jun 4, 2011, 7:23 am

Programs: trueblue ,mileageplus skymiles, hilton honors silver
Checking for price drops

When they have annouced sales to the location I would check to see if the prices have dropped. I also check in the middle of the week to see if they have dropped.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 10:18 pm

Programs: US silver, DL exGM, UA ex1K (now GM), B6, WN, AA
Tendencies, yes; certainties, no.

Lately, fares drop at 9pm EDT Monday Night, and rise back to or above the previous levels at about 9pm EDT Tuesday Night. There has been an instance in which the day of the week shifted by one, and the fares were low only on a Wednesday. It doesn't happen every week, and the rules are different every time they do it.
Rational planning by consumers is difficult.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 10:35 pm

I'm glad someone asked this, because I've been wondering too. I'm planning a trip from LAX to PWM and have been watching fares and trying to figure out how the pricing schedule worked.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 3:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
Use Yapta-- it will check automatically and notify you of changes.

www.yapta.com
Old Jun 7, 2011, 9:12 am
Suspended

Looking at BOS-SFO-BOS. Fare is an outrageous $750!
What's wrong with B6?
Old Jun 7, 2011, 11:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Looking at BOS-SFO-BOS. Fare is an outrageous $750!
What's wrong with B6?
There are plenty of lower fares published. Welcome to the wonderful world of yield management.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sbm12
There are plenty of lower fares published. Welcome to the wonderful world of yield management.
Published yes, bookable no.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 2:00 pm

I don't get what you mean about a flight being published but not bookable?

I'm shocked to see the prices from JetBlue from LAX to JFK to PWM-- over $900. Their pricing is so high I'm sadly going to have to look elsewhere, and I love JetBlue.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 4:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cali-gal
I don't get what you mean about a flight being published but not bookable?
There are several components that go in to airfare pricing. One part is the published fares. Basically that is a list of costs on a route subject to various other restrictions. For JFK-PWM it looks something like this:

Export from Wandering Aramean Travel Tools
Code:
Flexible Fare Search -- JFK-PWM oneway for date range Jun-Dec on carrier B6 -- JetBlue Airways
Carrier|From |To   |FareBasis |Fare      |Min   |Max       |Adv. Purch|Earliest  |Latest    |
B6     |JFK  |PWM  |UL14AE2U  |USD$ 56   |      |          |14days    |          |22jun11   |
B6     |JFK  |PWM  |OL14QE2U  |USD$ 65   |      |          |14days    |          |24aug11   |
B6     |JFK  |PWM  |ML14AE4U  |USD$ 70   |      |          |14days    |          |          |
B6     |JFK  |PWM  |RL14AE4U  |USD$ 85   |      |          |14days    |          |          |
B6     |JFK  |PWM  |VH07AE4U  |USD$ 99   |      |          |7days     |          |          |
B6     |JFK  |PWM  |LH07AE4U  |USD$ 110  |      |          |7days     |          |          |
B6     |JFK  |PWM  |BH07AE4U  |USD$ 125  |      |          |7days     |          |          |
B6     |JFK  |PWM  |BH03AE4U  |USD$ 138  |      |          |3days     |          |          |
B6     |JFK  |PWM  |QH03AE4U  |USD$ 157  |      |          |3days     |          |          |
B6     |JFK  |PWM  |HH00AE4U  |USD$ 181  |      |          |seerules  |          |          |
B6     |JFK  |PWM  |KH00AE4U  |USD$ 209  |      |          |seerules  |          |          |
B6     |JFK  |PWM  |EH00AE4U  |USD$ 247  |      |          |seerules  |          |          |
B6     |JFK  |PWM  |YB6S4     |USD$ 345  |      |330days   |seerules  |          |          |
B6     |JFK  |PWM  |Y         |USD$ 836  |      |330days   |seerules  |          |          |