Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Would JetBlue reconsider Atlanta?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would JetBlue reconsider Atlanta?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:34 pm

I know this thread is almost two years old, but any more realistic chance we could see B6 return to Atlanta?
Old Jul 28, 2012, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Shangri-La
I know this thread is almost two years old, but any more realistic chance we could see B6 return to Atlanta?
No, probably not for a long time. They won't allow it. Because it's too much competitive against DL, FL/WN. I have nothing can be done for now.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by N830MH
No, probably not for a long time. They won't allow it. Because it's too much competitive against DL, FL/WN. I have nothing can be done for now.
I was recently thinking about it. WN hasn't transitioned BOS-ATL service yet from AirTran to Southwest. Right now, it's just Delta vs. AirTran.

I think now would be the time for JetBlue to jump in on BOS-ATL if it wants to ever return to ATL. It'd have a head-start over Southwest on the Southwest brand. If it waits, then Southwest will convert that route from AirTran, and by then Southwest will be vested to compete and defend it as the secondary carrier against Delta.

However, if JetBlue launches it sooner, it has the time to build up the market sooner. It allows possibility that Southwest puts that route conversion effort on the backburner and later decides against flying the n/s route. Southwest offers BOS-BWI-ATL which is tolerable for both ends (BOS, ATL) of its passenger base, and likely it will offer BOS-BNA-ATL as a second fallback, whether or not they offer the nonstop anyways.

More reasons:
  • JetBlue has strength on the BOS point of sale.
  • Some connection feed to help, from JFK, EWR and BUF (where n/s fares on Delta or United are likely still a premium). Additionally from PIT and BWI, if timed, but likely less significant since I think n/s fares from those cities to ATL will be low anyways.
  • ATL is large enough that is a major geographic hole.
  • It's a long enough flight that pax would appreciate the JetBlue inflight experience.

Granted, it won't be easy going up against Delta. However, JetBlue competes on BOS-Chicago up against a number of carriers, most that offer better scheduling. ATL in the B6 network is almost on par for B6 being in Chicago.B6 would likely have a better shot competing successfully on BOS-ATL over JFK-ATL initially. If it can manage BOS-ATL, the next one to push for would be BOS-DTW.

Last edited by rtalk25; Nov 6, 2012 at 12:41 pm
Old Nov 7, 2012, 8:53 am

Programs: National Exec Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Without being an expert on these things (just reporting what I believe I have read in the past), I believe that the reason WN took so long (and ultimately, why B6 likely won't enter the ATL market anytime soon) is because the costs per gate there are astronomical. In addition, ATL already has the reputation (not sure if stats fully back it up) as being one of the slowest turnaround facilities in the nation, especially when considering that they would be less likely than most major airports on that side of the country to have WX delays/cancellations.

I certainly avoid ATL connections like the plague. I'd rather go through CLT.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:30 am
Suspended

I don't believe JetBlue will ever serve Atlanta.

Atlanta is a slot restricted airport with heavy traffic. The migration from Airtran to Southwest means larger 737's serving the route, but there is no change of slots.

Some airports will require you to be on certain carriers for non stop flights.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by adamj023
Atlanta is a slot restricted airport with heavy traffic. The migration from Airtran to Southwest means larger 737's serving the route, but there is no change of slots.

Some airports will require you to be on certain carriers for non stop flights.
False. ATL is not slot-restricted.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FWAAA
False. ATL is not slot-restricted.
http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/4719547/

Slot restrictions are extremely rare - only four out of hundreds of U.S. airports are subject to federal slot restrictions: LGA, DCA, JFK, and EWR. ORD was slot restricted before it opened the new runway in 2008. All other airports are actually forbidden to artificially restrict flight operations through slot systems, etc. but a few community airports are exempt since their operating procedures were established well before the 90's and thus "grandfathered in". So, even at busy airports like ATL, ORD, DFW, DEN, LAX, IAD, FLL, BOS, SEA, MIA, PHL, SFO etc. there are no slot restrictions in place that would make incumbent airline expansion and new carrier market entry inherently difficult. So long as airlines have the terminal space/gates to support their ops, flights can be readily added and dropped at any U.S. airport without a problem.

I thought ATL was and I stand corrected. But with B6 leaving PIT and other shorter routes, I don't see how ATL will fit into their strategy. ATL is pretty much all Delta just like EWR is pretty much all United. JFK has a mix of Delta, American Airlines and JetBlue.

But I don't see B6 needing or doing the ATL flights. It is bad business strategy to go head to head with Delta at their own airport. The planes will be more profitable going on other routes than starting a pricewar, considering JetBlue only has limited planes already and has to allocate resources wisely.

Certain airports and routes are growing in population so JetBlue can add flights to those.

JetBlue has loads of routes they can do as new deliveries come in but ATL isn't nor should be one of them.

While if JetBlue had ATL flights consumers would definitely use it, the problem is they would be squeezing profits and getting into a price war and there are still routes for them to add before they should even consider such if they even decided it was in their interest.

Last edited by adamj023; Nov 18, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.