Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Does Jet Blue have to get bigger?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does Jet Blue have to get bigger?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2010, 1:05 pm

I think jetBlue does need to expand, especially into the midwest,which they have been pretty much ignoring. Places like Omaha, Minneapolis, Kansas city, OKC, Des Moines, etc would all appreciate some nice low cost air service. Right now, the only airline that comes close to that it Southwest, and frankly, we need some more low cost competition.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 6:27 pm

I think Frontier covers most of that too.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 10:17 am

Programs: Marriott Gold for life
Originally Posted by coda623
I think jetBlue does need to expand, especially into the midwest,which they have been pretty much ignoring. Places like Omaha, Minneapolis, Kansas city, OKC, Des Moines, etc would all appreciate some nice low cost air service. Right now, the only airline that comes close to that it Southwest, and frankly, we need some more low cost competition.
Also, Jetblue is usually not low cost... its typically cost more than its competitors for people buying tickets in advanced - those looking for bargin basement pricing...
Old Nov 29, 2010, 1:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

That only works when there is sufficient demand for those flights. The goal of an airline isn't to show up and charge less just for fun. They have to still make money doing so. Losing a little bit of money on each passenger but making it up in volume isn't going to be a common business plan anytime soon.
Originally Posted by CIAO LAX
Also, Jetblue is usually not low cost... its typically cost more than its competitors for people buying tickets in advanced - those looking for bargin basement pricing...
LCC refers to the carrier's operating costs, not what the fares are. JetBlue is still considered an LCC by some since they aren't a legacy carrier but the line is definitely blurring these days, particularly as the costs B6 incurs to operate are approaching those of other legacy carriers.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 1:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold for life
Originally Posted by sbm12
That only works when there is sufficient demand for those flights. The goal of an airline isn't to show up and charge less just for fun. They have to still make money doing so. Losing a little bit of money on each passenger but making it up in volume isn't going to be a common business plan anytime soon.

LCC refers to the carrier's operating costs, not what the fares are. JetBlue is still considered an LCC by some since they aren't a legacy carrier but the line is definitely blurring these days, particularly as the costs B6 incurs to operate are approaching those of other legacy carriers.
I believe the poster I was referring to refereced low cost competition, meaning low fares... not just low cost structures. All airlines are LCCs now!
Old Nov 29, 2010, 3:48 pm

I feel that there is sufficient demand in at least some Midwestern cities. I know in Omaha, the New York route isn't so popular and it's only operated by RJs. But jetBlue could add seasonal service so Florida maybe, because many Nebraskans love to fly down to Florida for the winter to get away from the cold and the snow. I'm sure jetBlue could quickly snatch up some routes from Delta in Minneapolis, since they provide better service and generally lower costs. I think they should fly some of their Embraer E190's into the midwest. it would make a lot of sense to me, even if they just added seasonal service.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 8:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I feel that there is sufficient demand in at least some Midwestern cities. I know in Omaha, the New York route isn't so popular and it's only operated by RJs. But jetBlue could add seasonal service so Florida maybe, because many Nebraskans love to fly down to Florida for the winter to get away from the cold and the snow. I'm sure jetBlue could quickly snatch up some routes from Delta in Minneapolis, since they provide better service and generally lower costs. I think they should fly some of their Embraer E190's into the midwest. it would make a lot of sense to me, even if they just added seasonal service.
Seasonal service is almost always a tough sell.

Opening up a new station is quite capital-intensive and there needs to be a rather large demand for service to justify it.

B6 showing up in MSP and trying to cherry-pick a route or two from a DL hub will almost certainly result in DL dumping inventory well below cost until B6 packs up and goes home. It is not a smart move to show up in a market where you're always going to have to compete on price alone. Losing money month after month gets old after a while.

Omaha is #62 in the USA in terms of passenger enplanement
s. I'm guessing there are a few larger markets that JetBlue is looking at in the USA before that comes up as an option. Plus, OMA actually shrank last year. Not a great situation to be in when you're trying to attract a new entrant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.