Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy on Board To Begin

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2010, 6:18 pm

Programs: Continental One Pass
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Basically more packaged junk. Better to bring your own.
The thing I like the least about JetBlue is the food. I've never flown them for a flight longer than 3 hours, but I imagine after the 4th hour that bag of Terra chips isn't going to help much. I don't see how these options are really worth $6.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 6:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Dm84
The thing I like the least about JetBlue is the food. I've never flown them for a flight longer than 3 hours, but I imagine after the 4th hour that bag of Terra chips isn't going to help much. I don't see how these options are really worth $6.
The key is to switch to chocolate chip cookies at hour 4.

For a truly long flight you have to BYO. That hasn't changed with these snack boxes.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 6:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Airlines Gold
Yesterday I did a west coast turn starting in IAD and back home to BOS. It was my first experience with the BOB, I was not on any of the testing flights (I was lucky).. I was shocked at how much we sold (a lot). This is phase 1, I imagine we will do more with the fresh food offerings that are to come online with phase 2.

The most popular items were the shape up and cheer ups.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors Diamond
Last week we picked up a plane in SAN to head to BOS and the BOB cart was empty. The flight from JFK sold EVERYTHING!
Old Jun 23, 2010, 8:44 am

Programs: Continental One Pass
Originally Posted by sbm12
The key is to switch to chocolate chip cookies at hour 4.

For a truly long flight you have to BYO. That hasn't changed with these snack boxes.
I get that. But my thoughts are if the customer is paying, why can't they serve something similar to what United serves? (sandwiches, salads, etc...)
Old Jun 23, 2010, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dm84
I get that. But my thoughts are if the customer is paying, why can't they serve something similar to what United serves? (sandwiches, salads, etc...)
It's coming. The company is trying to figure out how to store food of that nature while keeping costs down. We don't cater in every city like United can or does. We don't have refer units to keep the food cold and ready to eat. This is just the first phase of the program.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 6:27 am

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
Kudos to B6 for giving pax more choices! Sounds like it's been a success so far.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 6:40 am
Original Poster

I just flew JFK-SAN and we sold ALOT! We sold ALL of our P/B Packs, most of our headsets, and several boxed snacks. Several people bought multiple boxed snacks! When we did the service 2 went through with the complimenary snacks and I went through with the BOB. We made if very clear that we still had our normal complimentary snacks and they didn't have to buy anything and they bought everything lol.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 8:39 am

Programs: Trueblue, Skymiles, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by JetBlueFA
I just flew JFK-SAN and we sold ALOT! We sold ALL of our P/B Packs, most of our headsets, and several boxed snacks. Several people bought multiple boxed snacks! When we did the service 2 went through with the complimenary snacks and I went through with the BOB. We made if very clear that we still had our normal complimentary snacks and they didn't have to buy anything and they bought everything lol.
Sounds like these people are hungry! Imagine when the sandwiches start being offered.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 5:33 pm

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage
So when is BOB offered, before or after complimentary snacks, or maybe a better question, how does it work?
Old Jul 1, 2010, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JBLU421NYC
So when is BOB offered, before or after complimentary snacks, or maybe a better question, how does it work?
This is what my last 2 crews did.

-Walk through with headsets and P/B Packs
-Walk through taking drink orders
-Serve drinks
-2 walk through with Complimentary Snacks
-1 walk through with BOB boxes

I've had people ask me for a snack box when I was taking drink orders so I just wrote myself a note so I'd remember. You can purchase a BOB box anytime during the flight as well. I had somebody ask me for one when we were staring our initial descent.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 8:32 pm

I flew roundtrip on B6 between JFK & SJU last week. Those flights are scheduled as longer than 3 hours & 45 minutes, and that route was listed in the first post of this thread as having buy-on-board. On neither flight was the product offered or even mentioned by the cabin crew. What's interesting is that, on one flight, one of my traveling companions asked a flight attendant for a buy-on-board snack box, which he promptly received. There was some brief turbulence on my flight back to NY that kept everyone (including FAs) seated for a while, but no such interruptions on the trip down to San Juan. Free snacks and drinks were offered, but that was it. Is the cabin crew not required to advertise buy-on-board? I don't get the impression most customers know about it, but judging from the previous posts by FAs it seems popular (and profitable) when offered.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 10:42 pm

I always wished that being a New York airline, B6 would offer apples from upstate. And almost off topic, would B6 bundle snack packs and an additional piece of checked luggage with EML? In terms of refrigeration, could an overhead bin be outfitted with a fridge? B6 bins are huge.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 8:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by MrPresident1776
I always wished that being a New York airline, B6 would offer apples from upstate.
I'm guessing there are issues with getting a supply year-round, among other things.

And almost off topic, would B6 bundle snack packs and an additional piece of checked luggage with EML?
Seems like a nice EML+ offering.
In terms of refrigeration, could an overhead bin be outfitted with a fridge? B6 bins are huge.
They already sacrifice 1-3 bins with snacks and water. I'd hate to lose more.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 9:45 pm

[QUOTE=sbm12;14556106]I'm guessing there are issues with getting a supply year-round, among other things.

All it is refrigeration. In a commercial freezer warehouse, apples usually last about eight months, depending on the type. Empire apples were developed to last that long in refrigeration and still be crisp.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.