Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JetBlue in ATL

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2014, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

JetBlue in ATL

Anyone hear of any plans for JetBlue to expand to Atlanta? I would love to see this airline here...
Old Jul 13, 2014, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

They did ATL once and got driven out pretty quickly. Maybe they'll try again given that they're bigger now and there's less competition in ATL than there once was, but it is still a very hard market to crack. Also, it is mostly connecting traffic, not O/D, which further limits the opportunities there.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 7:42 pm
Suspended

If i'm thinking correctly, didn't they only serve LGB? I can see them trying to do DCA-ATL or BOS-ATL.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 9:03 pm

The problem with DCA-ATL and BOS-ATL is that Delta will kill them in terms of frequencies and upsizing aircraft to force JetBlue out with cheap fares
Old Jul 13, 2014, 9:32 pm

I don't think it would add DCA-ATL, but maybe BOS-ATL and ATL-FLL the day it re-opens ATL.

For BOS-ATL, it'd likely steal traffic from WN/FL. WN doesn't fully convert to all WN metal until late in the year. WN might stick or maybe not, but fi not, just sell connections via BWI the same way that it doesn't compete on RDU-BOS or CLT-BOS but discounts itineries via BWI.

For ATL-FLL, there could be some component of international connections for JetBlue along with O&D and some backtrack itinery sales like maybe DCA-FLL-ATL. Spirit sells ACY-FLL-ATL similarly in Winter. FLL-ATL fares would probably become very competitive with another carrier in the mix, but it might hurt WN sticking around on ATL-PBI if many that would have chosen that opt for the lower fare ATL-FLL.

Last edited by rtalk25; Jul 13, 2014 at 9:44 pm
Old Jul 14, 2014, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by airplanegod
If i'm thinking correctly, didn't they only serve LGB? I can see them trying to do DCA-ATL or BOS-ATL.
Yes, they tried ATL-LGB/OAK and it didn't work out well. They pull out of ATL completely. Too much competitive against Delta & AirTran. They didn't complete against Delta.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 10:18 am
Original Poster

It's such a shame that Delta dominates the ATL market. The whole business of carving out particular hubs as belonging to airline X seems like an outdated and terrible model.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 5:58 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Delta knows this, but they also know that if they keep it up, they can charge more because people have few other choices.

When B6 served ATL the first time, DL priced their tickets below cost to get B6 to pull out. With an extensive network where DL can just make up for the loss elsewhere, but little guys like B6 can't sustain a money-losing route forever.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:31 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I am BEGGING Jet Blue to come to Atlanta.

Southwest is no replacement for Airtran. I loved Airtran, but hate Southwest. Jet Blue is much closer to Airtran's product than is Southwest. I think there's a real market for them here: people like me who liked Airtran and don't want to switch to DL or WN.

I think some west coast routes and ATL-BOS are do-able. Maybe even JFK. I would actually pay a few $ more to go JetBlue and avoid DL and WN.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 11:34 am
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
Originally Posted by sbm12
They did ATL once and got driven out pretty quickly. Maybe they'll try again given that they're bigger now and there's less competition in ATL than there once was, but it is still a very hard market to crack. Also, it is mostly connecting traffic, not O/D, which further limits the opportunities there.
I'm curious who drove them out? Guessing DL but maybe Airtran?
Old Jul 27, 2014, 11:54 am

Programs: TrueBlue, Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by thetravelingRedhead
Delta. If I am not mistaken, JetBlue only had ATL-OAK/LGB, so pretty much point to point with not a huge following at either end. It was doomed from the start.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 7:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by thetravelingRedhead
It was both from what I recall. Some history of the topic here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetbl...t-atlanta.html.

Also, I didn't realize how long ago that was. Time flies, huh?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.