Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

B6 507 emergency landing at EWR today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2010, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Hertz

Enroute from EWR-FLL, engine cover fell off and aircraft returned safely with no injuries to EWR. Debris was found on runway. According to a.net, tail number 535.

Video and article: http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...ns_to_new.html
Old Apr 5, 2010, 11:50 am

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors Diamond
The flight deck received an indication that the engine cowling opened or had seperated from the aircraft. Passengers and crew landed safely and continued their journey to FLL later with a spare that was ferried from JFK.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 11:59 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
One more reason why you don't want to live near a runway. Those could easily have fallen on someone's house.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lougord99
One more reason why you don't want to live near a runway. Those could easily have fallen on someone's house.
And how many people are killed each year by parts falling off of planes?

I think it's more likely that you'll be hit by lightning, no?

Old Apr 5, 2010, 11:07 pm

I'll give the media credit for once. The stories I have read all stated the part that fell off was an engine cover and presented no immediate danger. Given the sensationalism over anything aviation related, I'm surprised that no one released the headline "JETBLUE AIRBUS 747 JUMBOJET LOSES ENGINE OVER NEW YORK CITY!!!!!11111111111" Heck I didn't even see an interview with a hysterical traveller recalling how they thought that they were going down in a flaming wreck. I'm sure someone will get in trouble for this but it's a non-story for the most part.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 12:27 pm

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, HHonors
Originally Posted by WChou
I'll give the media credit for once. The stories I have read all stated the part that fell off was an engine cover and presented no immediate danger. Given the sensationalism over anything aviation related, I'm surprised that no one released the headline "JETBLUE AIRBUS 747 JUMBOJET LOSES ENGINE OVER NEW YORK CITY!!!!!11111111111" Heck I didn't even see an interview with a hysterical traveller recalling how they thought that they were going down in a flaming wreck. I'm sure someone will get in trouble for this but it's a non-story for the most part.
Ofcourse its a non-story... Airbus doesn't make a 747 and JetBlue doesn't fly them...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.