Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jetblue holds plane for its own?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2010, 6:26 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Vycor
. . . I can understand getting more fuel if we had to circle JFK waiting for a turn to land due to the runways, but we didn't exactly circle...
The problem with this is that they don't know before takeoff how long you're going to have to circle, hold, or be vectored around once you hit NYC airspace 2 hours later. The two choices are to plan for the potential delay, and end up with extra fuel on board if the delay never materializes, or to not plan for the extra delay, then force a diversion if such a delay does occur.

The way the system is currently set up, if they knew for certain that you'd have to hold/circle/be vectored excessively upon arrival in NY, then you would have your takeoff delayed to avoid airborne delays... This is why we have wheel-up times, more formally known as EDCTs (Expect Departure Clearance Times). The powers that be realized long ago that it is safer and more efficient to delay a plane on the ground than in the air, but the predictions aren't always perfect.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by T/BE20/G
The problem with this is that they don't know before takeoff how long you're going to have to circle, hold, or be vectored around once you hit NYC airspace 2 hours later.
I'm familiar with a vector (the noun), but what does getting vectored mean?
Old Mar 15, 2010, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by nerd
I'm familiar with a vector (the noun), but what does getting vectored mean?
Being given a vector to follow by ATC.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by caphis
Being given a vector to follow by ATC.
That was super helpful.

And the significance being given a vector to follow, what does this mean? Is every flight given one? Does it only happen when things get batshit crazy? Work with me here...
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nerd
That was super helpful.

And the significance being given a vector to follow, what does this mean? Is every flight given one? Does it only happen when things get batshit crazy? Work with me here...
The entire flight is a series of vectors given to the pilots by ATC. Basically it is the series of turns and altitude changes a plane makes from take-off to landing. When things go bad and landings are spaced out more the flight might look a lot more like /\/\/\/\/\/\ than -----------. That would be getting "vectored around."
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12
The entire flight is a series of vectors given to the pilots by ATC. Basically it is the series of turns and altitude changes a plane makes from take-off to landing. When things go bad and landings are spaced out more the flight might look a lot more like /\/\/\/\/\/\ than -----------. That would be getting "vectored around."
Thanks.

There's always someone who's good at the "Imagine you had to explain this to your mom" approach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.